Armed Virginia Sloop (AVS) by SkiBee - Model Shipways - 1:48

I'm taking a break from building the New York Pilot Boat Phantom and going to start building the Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways.  I chose this model because there are some great sources of information beside the kit instructions, there is a Practicum by Robert E. Hunt via Lauck Street Shipyard, and some great Ship Logs, especially CiscoH's. 

Here is the normal start picture of the box,

Pic1.thumb.jpg.a09577308724cfe1251a88aca9ef1e9e.jpg

I started by removing the laser char from the center keel, keel, sternpost and stem.  I might have removed to much from the sternpost notch, but I think I can work around that.

Pic2.thumb.jpg.a10fe737e8040f3c0fdeafe21d3b38b0.jpg

I'm going ahead and using the included walnut for the keel, sternpost and stem.  I'm trying to decide now if I only put one level of planking or do the two levels per the instructions.  I don't think I want to use the walnut since I plan to paint the haul but would like to keep the definition of the planks.  I would have to buy some additional planks if I went with two layers.  Not sure what wood is available and pre-cut for planking, especially at the thickness of the walnut planks, 0.02 inch.  Plus, I don't have a way to cut planks to width and thickness.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Current Projects:                                                                                          Completed Projects:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways - 1:96                                      Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Model Shipways - 1:24

Phantom New York Pilot Boat - Model Shipways - 1:96                         18th Century Long Boat - Model Shipways - 1:48

Norwegian Sailing Pram - Model Shipways - 1:12

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Hi

I'll be following along. Except for the deck planking, I didn't buy any additional wood for my AVS and just followed the instructions plus Hunt's practicum. I painted the hull but scored the planks above the wales to give them definition. The only other kit upgrades I did were the ropes (Morope - which you can't get anymore but there are plenty of other providers, including Syren) and the blocks (again my source for those is gone but plenty of other providers are out there).

There are plenty of plank providers - milled to size - as well, among the sponsors of MSW. Boxwood is my favourite but it comes at a cost...

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

• The title was changed to Armed Virginia Sloop (AVS) by SkiBee - Model Shipways - 1:48

I traced the bearding line on the center keel.  I cut the rabbit using mostly a curved blade since it worked better for me.  I used a compas to draw my cut line on the bottom edge of the center keel.  I checked the depth of the cut with a piece of the base wood plank by itself since I decided to use a single plank layer. I did sand the rabbit a little to smooth it out and make as even as I could.  Then I glued the Stem and keel to the Center Kell.  Since the Center Keel and the Stem and Keel are the same thickness, I laid both down on some was paper and flattened them both out. All the pieces were flat with no noticeable curve. Then I spread some wood glue on the stem and held the pieces together just using my fingers.  Then I decided to use super glue on the keel and used a couple of adjustable clamps to hold the two pieces together.  I had to adjust the clamp so I would not get an angled joint.  I decided not to glue the stern post on at this time, it was a recommendation in one of the instructions I had read.

Pic3.thumb.jpg.1368cb74cf913b8b3d4f83ca5897c6e1.jpg

Pic4.thumb.jpg.a43065e74f5e86de6219ff6b86617c3d.jpgPic5.thumb.jpg.7eb25d9a045c3362aa9ebffe0164fa85.jpg

I checked to see if the rabbit was deep enough by using a piece of planking.  There is a little edge above the keel, so I'll try and sand the rabbit down a little later, but I wanted to see how the rabbit lined up with the bottom of the bulkheads.  But I found that the bulkheads would not readily fit into the center keel slots.  I broke bulkhead C in half when I was trying to take it out, to tight of a fit. So, I'm using a sanding stick to open up the slots until the bulkheads fit with some resistance.  I am making sure that the bottom of the slot is square, so the bulkheads seat all the way to the bottom of the slot.

Pic 6.jpg

Current Projects:                                                                                          Completed Projects:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways - 1:96                                      Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Model Shipways - 1:24

Phantom New York Pilot Boat - Model Shipways - 1:96                         18th Century Long Boat - Model Shipways - 1:48

Hey SkiBee!  Great to catch up with you once again!  I'll be following along! 👍🏆

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                             Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin     Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways 

Posted (edited)

Finally another AVS build!  Looks good so far.  In terms of hull planking I used the thicker basswood base layer as practice.  the second thin layer went much better due to all the Learning that went into the first layer.  In Clayton Feldman's book (the original builder of this model) I believe he only used 1 layer of hull planking so you could simply skip the walnut.

either way I look forward to your progress.   

cisco

Edited by CiscoH

I used a curve blade and a sanding stick to get the Stem taper per the drawing.  It appeared the I should leave about a 1/16th of the stem edge as is.  I did have trouble at the cutting the tapper at the curve due to the grain of the wood, I gouged the stem a little.  I did an initial fill with wood putty; I’ll refine the tapper smoothness after planking.

Pic7.thumb.jpg.d165776c6b157a5306cf1384edb8ca8b.jpg

I sanded all the bulkhead slots so they would slide on the center keel with some resistance.  Also sanded and scraped all the edges of the bulkheads to remove the char, which took a while.  Fitting all the bulkheads to the Center Keel, a few stuck up a little over the top edge of the Center Keel, so I sanded the top and bottom of the slots until they did not stick up over the top edge.  There were 3 bulkheads that I will have to add a thin shim to get it even with the edge.

Pic10.thumb.jpg.d7bcc1ef61741571d4049bb3989943fa.jpg

I did another trial fit of a piece of plank to see if the rabbet was deep enough.  I decided to deepen the rabbit using a curved blade, #22, and sand smooth.  Looks better butt the superglue left more of a bead that I could not sand off or cut off without deepening of the rabbet.  I’m going to leave it as is and look at tapering the edge of the plank to fit.

I decided to trim the aft 3 bulkheads and fwd 3 bulkheads per the drawings now.  I used a curve blade to cut the transom curve of bulkhead R and part of the angle of bulkhead P & Q, then sanded them to smooth out the cuts but not to the final angle.  The rest of the bulkheads I’ll get the proper angle by fairing them after installation, at that time I’ll check the thickness of the bulkhead extensions.  I will wait to trim the inside of the bulkhead extensions until after the planking is done to provide more stability & strength to them.

Pic8.thumb.jpg.512a448855179921612ee84d097e4b5e.jpgPic9.thumb.jpg.b6a2e67e51a399e5a806e61151923072.jpg

Made sure that the top of the bulkhead was even with the center keel by sanding the top of the slot a little more.  Then sanded the top of the slots where I added the shim until even with the center keel.  Started to glue in the bulkheads, back to front.  I’m going to just glue in the 4 aft bulkheads first and sand the top of them even, for the aft sub-deck. This way the I will have less of chance of breaking any of the fwd bulkhead stanchions.  I’m not sure but it seems like the Starboard side of the bulkhead is a little lower than the Port.  Once the glue dries completely, I’ll check it out.

Pic11.thumb.jpg.b55c243d4f72abdb5182fa279355599a.jpg

Pic12.thumb.jpg.d022e9d31401261086976b5978c506d7.jpg

I measured from a ground reference point to the top of the aft bulkheads, the starboard side is slightly lower than the port.  But I don’t think it will be enough to make a difference in the final product.  Placing a metal rule on the bulkhead tops, there was very little height discrepancies from fwd to aft bulkheads.  So I proceeded to sand them even from fwd to aft, not a lot of sanding was required, but I wonder if I should sand more since only the fwd half of each bulkhead has a flat slant.
I then proceeded to add in a small block between the bulkheads to provide some strength during the remainder of the build.  I also continued to glue in the remaining bulkheads

Pic13.thumb.jpg.dba825492a31cb880c00b8c503de7955.jpg

Edited by SkiBee

i had to add several strips and sand some bulkheads down to get them even.  the false deck and sterncabin plywood panels will hide a lot on the topsides but you do want a somewhat level base.  i did the same on the bulkheads lower portions to get a smooth run for hull planking.

moving right along

As I faired the deck, I found that my bulkheads were all 90 deg top to bottom, fwd and aft.  But I had a couple of bulkheads that were going to need shims and or a lot of sanding.  I determined the cause was I did not pay attention to making sure that the bulkhead was level port to starboard as I was gluing in the first 8 bulkheads.  There were two that were going to require a fair amount of shimming and sanding.  I thought about dissolving the glue, yellow wood glue, and redoing them, but I was concerned that I might cause other problems of brakeage, so I left them and will glue and shim.

In this pick the red circled bulkhead is that worst one, the starboard side was below the port side.  You can see that I shimmed the top of the bulkhead so it would be even fore and aft with the other bulkheads and side to side of itself.

Pic15.thumb.jpg.0e4a71420d4d471a3a0573de1737745d.jpg

The green is to show that the bulkheads are 90 degrees vertical, and the red is an example of level from port to starboard on the top.

Pic14.thumb.jpg.fdc8f369920ee1601b941d01fac7795d.jpg