First attempt at rope making

SiriusVoyager

I recently purchased and assembled the Model shipways rope walk and wanted to try it out.  I'm in the middle of rigging the San Francisco Cross Section at the time of posting so I will likely wait until the next model to make the rope.  I did however want to try it out.  For initial trial I am just using cotton string that I have lying around, but won't use it for models due to the fuzziness. 

The first attempt was with some thin black string, three strands per chord. 

IMG_2534Large.jpeg.6fccaa19be56f9311b8e7123c9963d62.jpeg

IMG_2533Large.thumb.jpeg.108f05cb734efd1b47440f5aeef2217f.jpeg

I have rope!  I didn't give it a chance to see how it would lay up so I quickly tied it off, but it seemed to come out ok.  There are a couple of spots that that aren't quite right and there is less fuzz than I expected.

IMG_2535Large.jpeg.8bc6c06a51d3c8abf926e293baa9a04a.jpeg

IMG_2538.thumb.jpeg.3bb54558797b978ce87599816e42f77a.jpeg

The second attempt was with some thicker cotton twin and as can be seen, no unraveling!  I'm pretty excited that I was able to do this adequately on a first attempt.

IMG_2539Large.jpeg.9d9f9920df37c777cafa8b5245dc7b26.jpeg

This process seems pretty easy, at least on a small scale, so I will be looking forward to making ropes for my future models.

- Eric

In the shipyardSan Francisco Cross Section

Finished:  Norwegian Sailing Pram, Lowell Grand Banks Dory, Muscongus bay lobster smackOcCre Palamos

1 hour ago, Desertanimal said:

Would you mind continuing with this post some and including some information like thread sources and sizes? Then how do create your final rope size? Do you just add the diameters of your threads together? 
I’ll be starting the Alert soon and may be making rope! 👍

Chris

Hey Chris, unfortunately I am not well versed enough in rope making to offer reliable information. These were literally the first two ropes I have made and that was simply to try out the rope walk. This section of the forums has a lot of good info however including a lot of the info you are looking for. 

- Eric

In the shipyardSan Francisco Cross Section

Finished:  Norwegian Sailing Pram, Lowell Grand Banks Dory, Muscongus bay lobster smackOcCre Palamos