Relationship between wing transom, tuck-rail and bottom planks

Hi everyone

Thinking about a POF model and studying the stern framing I have a doubt that I think that is better explained by the drawing below.

Question: my understanding of the bottom planking at the wing transom is correct ? (course, if my representation of the wing transom, tuck-rail and its rabbet is correct)

post-6180-0-93920100-1381678956_thumb.png

Alex

"By endurance we conquer"

If you are referring to 18th century British ships, it's not quite as simple as that. The lower aft edge of the wing transom has a changing bevel for the bottom planking to land on. The upper 3" or so is left vertical and the junction with the bevel is called the margin line. The tuck rail is attached to the wing transom along the margin line as well as overlapping the bottom plank ends by a few inches. This rail is very tricky to make, as the rabbet on its fore face changes angle continuously along its length.

The photos should explain this better than words.

post-635-0-38307000-1382013769_thumb.jpg

post-635-0-79765300-1382013892_thumb.jpg

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Druxy, that is some beautifully clean work!

Maybe this should be a separate topic, I dont want to steal this thread, if so I will happily delete this and repost, cause now I am curious.

In your picture this tuck rail appears to be an applied molding, is it simply to hide the transition from the transom to the planking or is there more going on on a real ship?

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

The rail has more than an ornamental purpose, Sam. It protects the end grain of the lower hull planks from water penetration and premature rotting. Exposed end-grain was to be avoided anywhere on a ship if at all possible.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Hi Druxey

Yes, I was referring to the 18th century British ships, frigates specifically.  Thanks you for your explanation. 

In my opinion, the stern is a very detailed structure, with several minor parts difficult to model.

Alex

Also watch to see if the tuck rail crosses the ports.  The following sketch and photo of the Leda, a contemporary model in the Rogers collection show this.

Allan

post-42-0-17521500-1382259435_thumb.jpg

post-42-0-29746700-1382259506_thumb.jpg

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

With all due respect, Allan, I think the actual construction was as in the modified diagram below. Do you have information to the contrary? A section of the tuck molding was attached to the lower edge of the port lid, of course.

post-635-0-12217500-1382280090_thumb.jpg

Edited by druxey

Hi Druxey

This scheme in your last post can be applied to the 18th century british ships (including frigates) too ?

I like it because this "side vision" is perfect to ilustrate the answer to my original question - the relationship between wing transom, tuck-rail and bottom planks (and, also, the margin line)

Alex

I believe from my study of the subject that this is correct for 18th century British construction. The width of the margin on the wing transom varies depending on the size of ship, of course. It is as much as 6" for 110 gun ships and down to 3"  on small ships. For frigates it could be, as Allan shows, 4 1/2" or 5".

Edited by druxey

Hi Druxey

Thanks again !

By the by, you (or someone else) could me clarify why, in some plans, the tuck rail has a narrow (almost erased) line ?  It seems a "duplicate line". See the image below.

post-6180-0-47178000-1382324837_thumb.jpg

Alex

Alex,

I think that line shows the amount of roundup of the tuck rail.  In the case of your drawing, it not only shows the roundup but the "round out" as it also curves outward.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The narrow 'second line' is the the upper edge of the tuck rail. The heavier lines are the 'shadows'. If you look at the aft edge you will see the profile. From top to bottom: a rounded bullnose, A small vertical, a concave and, at the bottom, another rounded bullnose.

post-635-0-60499300-1382356009.jpg

Druxey,

You may very well be right in that your drawing has a rail that truly "tucks" in between the counter planking and hull planking.   I can not quite tell from the contemporary model photos that I dug through, but they truly look to lay over the seam of the planking.   I did dig through my NMM drawings and they do not show enough detail to indicate a tuck nor a laid over tuck rail.  Would love to find a contemporary drawing showing this.  I found the attached at the NMM Collections site when doing a search for "Stern Rail"   The rail does not look to be laid over the planking as I had surmised but much closer to what you show.  Sure looks like a "fun project" making the rail as shown on the photo.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU