Filling in between bulkheads

I think a lot has to do with the model itself.  If the bulkheads are thin, then filling in a bit or doubling the heads would give you more surface to adhere too.   Where as thicker out of the box bulkheads are an adequate gluing surface.

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

I used styrene foam near the bow and stern. It was easy to do, did add some work, and was not all that helpful. Yes, it gave the planking some extra support, but to add some extra thickness to the bulkheads would do the same thing.

I would not bother again.

post-246-0-26490100-1383251671.jpg

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Does it make much of a difference in planking the hull?

Kurt

It would have overcome an issue I had on my current build and probably will fill the hull on my next.  But would use cheap pine as it is a lot cheaper than balsa, locally for me anyway.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

It makes the hull more solid and helps to prevent warping down the road.  It will also make it easier to find the hull's symetry.  You also have more surface to glue your planking down with no shallow dips.

David B

Edited by dgbot

I will also testify that the blocks keep the ship dead straight so you don't wind up building a banana.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I prefer to fill in between the bulkheads for the reasons others have stated plus it helps in fairing the hull. Also I don't like double planking, and the wood supplied usually bites, so I mill my own planks and having the spaces filled in helps with single planking.

Ron W.

Ron W.

• 2 weeks later...

I put extra fill at the bow of my Connie and it gives me more glue surface for the extreme bends I had to do. It's working for me,

I think a lot has to do with the model itself.  If the bulkheads are thin, then filling in a bit or doubling the heads would give you more surface to adhere too.   Where as thicker out of the box bulkheads are an adequate gluing surface.

I had to add with material on the sides of the bulkheads as they were much thinner than the material list stated. I used basswood for this.

However I added on with wood at the edge level and about 1cm inwards, didn't see the purpose of covering the whole bulkhead. post-967-0-25623100-1384900810_thumb.jpg

It's not as porous as balsa and can handle CA glue much better as well.

As for the filler I used 3/16 basswood against bulkhead and false keel then added with a balsa block. Once that was dried, I "painted" the balsa surface with diluted Titebond I, this way the combination of CA and Titebond I will have plenty of grip area.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

All very well when the ribbing is a solid bulkhead across the full beam of the ship. What do you do when (1) the ship model has all open ribs, and (2) one side of the model will be left mostly unplanked so the interior details can be seen. In this case, adding material, while perhaps even more important for the strength and trueness of the fore/aft line, becomes much more problematic. What to do? I'm building HMS Bounty with some rad curves stem and stern and its been suggested I add some material to the ribs at least in those areas. I want to take the suggestion but am not sure how. I am thinking (its been suggested by Amfibius) that I use scrap from the templates that the ribs came off of.

All very well when the ribbing is a solid bulkhead across the full beam of the ship. What do you do when (1) the ship model has all open ribs, and (2) one side of the model will be left mostly unplanked so the interior details can be seen. In this case, adding material, while perhaps even more important for the strength and trueness of the fore/aft line, becomes much more problematic. What to do? I'm building HMS Bounty with some rad curves stem and stern and its been suggested I add some material to the ribs at least in those areas. I want to take the suggestion but am not sure how. I am thinking (its been suggested by Amfibius) that I use scrap from the templates that the ribs came off of.

Hi Captain Al

In this case you just fill in between the desired area.Rather than try and explain I include a link to Drazen's log.Notice how he is infilling  between the upperpart of the frames but still leaving the hull hollow.You can do this for the full profile of the hull to one side only.

Kind Regards Nigel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/911-de-zeven-provinci%C3%ABn-by-dra%C5%BEen-cari%C4%87-scale-1-45-1665/page-3

Currently working on Royal Caroline