Rattlesnake by scott larkins - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Scale 1:64

I cut out a little extra on the sides so they could be folded over and clued.  As I said I was not stitching so I used sewing tacky glue.  I simply glued, tacked and placed it between two pieces of flat metal that I have.

post-8513-0-10075800-1427500906.jpg

Edited by scott larkins

Next came the sewing of the sails onto the yard arms.  I use a simple technique.  I'll try to explain it here.  First I simply tie on the end of the rope to the yard arm at the end.  I put the thread through the front of the sail, keeping in mind the position of the foot ropes and blocks which will be on the back side of that sail.  Then I wrap the thread over the yard arm and between the sail and the thread on the front of the sail.  So don't pull the thread all of the way through tight to the sail before you put the other thread under it.  Continue down the sail until you get to the other end.

post-8513-0-73408000-1427501344.jpg

Edited by scott larkins

Next I put the fore mast lower yard arm up.  Keep in mind that this takes some work.  Be sure to look at the plans and the instructions to see the different angles of the attaching points.  It takes some time to put on that yard arm and the related blocks under the mast platform and on the deck.  It gets a little tough putting the lower blocks on at the base of the main mast with everything that is already down there.  If you are reading this and haven't cluttered that area up yet, put those blocks on now. It will save some headache later.  Also, be careful when attaching the yard arm while working around the rat lines.  You don't want to snap any lines or break the wood.  You also have to put certain ropes around the yard arm before putting in place, like the attaching blocks.  There is no way to put those threads on after the yard arm is put in place.  Again, thinking ahead. I didn't if you were wondering, but I did catch my tweezers on the shrouds and rat lines a few times.  You can also see the spirit sail brace lines now put back, properly in place. LOL

post-8513-0-43452700-1427501773.jpg

Edited by scott larkins

And here is the spirit sails.  Man there were a lot of lines to put on.  I had to add a few more pins to the front rail to make places for all of the ropes since I am adding the sails to this model.  This pic is of the spirit sail parral which is the ropes that attach the spirit sail to the jib boom.

post-8513-0-92349900-1427502433.jpg

Edited by scott larkins

My, you've been busy! You are moving right along which I can't say for myself. She's going to be a fine model.

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

Thanks.  The furling is a little tough.  The cloth does not fold up very well for the scale.

One last note when threading the running rigging.  Look ahead, thread it and give it a little tug before you tie it up.  Do this to see if you accidently wrapped your current thread around an older thread.  This is very easy to do.  I've had to rethread twice so far but better to do it now before you have to put the CA glue on to keep the knot from untying.  And if you are working with two sets of ropes on different side of a yard arm, don't tie and clue one side before the other until you double check to make sure the yard arm is level and even and the ropes are tight.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Scott.

I also put furled sails on my last model.  I found that they folded better after the cloth was put through the washing machine a couple of times.

I found the whole process annoying, but the result very rewarding.

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...

There is a short discussion of the Horseshoe Plate in one of our forums here:

What is That Thing?

There is also a link there to Chuck's Confederacy model (see Chapter 8, last page) where he uses a photoetched horseshoe. It does provide a good visual as to what it should look like.

Deleted

Edited by JSGerson

• 1 month later...

Finally finished the bow sails.  I am using sewing glue to glue down the ends of the sails.  Been using metal to sandwich the sails but I guess this time the glue was too wet and rusted.  Man.  So now I sandwich between two sheets of wood and then weights.  So be careful what you use of you glue instead of sew the edges.

post-8513-0-52640700-1432946268.jpg

Edited by scott larkins

Next I bent some brass wire to make the stay sail saddles which went over the stay lines.  I first tied rope to one side of the saddle, left plenty of string and then used a needle to put the line through the sail.  I put the saddle over the stay line and then tied the free end of the line to the other side of the saddle.  You can also see that I used thimbles to run the lines up the sail, to the top platforms and then down to the belaying pins at the base of the foresail.

post-8513-0-56286500-1432947456_thumb.jpg

Edited by scott larkins

Then I simply continued the same process for the lower yard arms that I did for the spirit sails.  Here you can see all of lines like the bunt and leech lines that make up the sail lines.  As you can see, it gets quite messy up there.

post-8513-0-83987700-1432947892.jpg

Edited by scott larkins

And more lines. I may have warned you once before, but take you time when running the lines.  A few times, as I was pulling the long lines of string, the lower portion of the hanging loop got caught on something near the deck like cannons, anchors, and tied rat lines.  Be careful or you may end up ripping something off of your ship.

post-8513-0-42433500-1432948689.jpg

Edited by scott larkins

And the clew and tack lines on a furled sail.  Watch when you run the lines.  Sometimes they unexpectedly get wrapped around other lines as you weave them through.  Just double check the line before you wrap it around a pin or cleat.  Do not clue the rope around either of those until you are sure you want to.  And don't forget, sometimes you need to think, like 4 - 5 steps ahead to make sure you don't tie a rope that may bind something else up later.  Next I'm on the top sails.  If you put on the sails or furl the sails, don't get to dazzled by all of the lines on the plan.  Simply take the one line you are working on and follow the plans. Otherwise your eyes will start swimming in all of the verbiage and lines.  Believe me, it's easy to do.  Now on to the top sails and I wonder where I'm going to put all of those lines.  LOL

post-8513-0-35987500-1432948781.jpg

Edited by scott larkins

Very nicely done. You are a better man than me. I'll be very happy just to get the standing rigging in place. Just out of curiosity since I won't be adding sails to my model, what kind of sail cloth are you using and why?

I used the standard sail cloth from Model Shipways.  Of course I'm only using about 1/2 to a 1/3 of the actual sail cloth.  Otherwise it would just be too  bulky.  I washed it and then ironed it and had to cut off some of the outside fraying but it all came out good because as you saw, I'm using a cloth glue to fold over the ends.  I couldn't get the wife to sew the sails proper because she is busy working on her PhD and teaching two college classes and working.  I don't use the sewing machine so well.  LOL  Adding the sails is definitely adding more time and more pins and cleats to the over all build time.  But I wanted the furled sails so I can't complain for my choice.

• 2 months later...