Shenandoah 1864 by SGraham - FINISHED - Corel - Scale 1:50 - American Civil War-era Cutter

One of the things I have learned when silver soldering on the small side is that besides cleaniness is next to godliness,  is that the smaller the piece of solder the better.  I will flatten out the wire on an anvil.  Then use a pair of nippers to cut off the smallest pieces I can.  That little piece will melt faster than a wire.  And it will be like water.

David B

Edited by dgbot

Oh, and here's my trick for handling the solder. 

I wrap a semi loose coil around my ring and little fingers with the end coming out between the middle and ring finger. This way I can use my hand and fingers for stability and manipulation, while the solder can be bent or adjusted to be right where I want it.

You can also tuck it out of the way to keep working until you need it again.

I hope it helps.

post-11706-0-37217300-1407511226_thumb.jpg

Edited by shoule

I remember when I was soldering jewelry 30 plus years ago we would cut off a tiny piece of solder, hit it with the torch and turn it into a little ball, take an old needle file that was worn out and had been sharpened down to a point, and with the torch attach the solder to the tip. It got so there was always a little solder on the end of the file. Then it was easy to apply solder where necessary. I have no idea if that was good practice or not, but it took care of handling little pieces of solder. That was with gold solder.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

We called it a solder pic

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Thanks for asking, Sam. We indeed had a small fire up in Azusa Canyon, or East Fork again, but they knocked it down pretty fast. I've had some family stuff to attend to as well as getting ready for a bluegrass gig we're playing tonight. So, I haven't been in the Glacial Progress Boatworks this week. I've got to let it live up to its name.

Those quarter badges on the Enterprise are simply spectacular--meaning spectacular in a simple way.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

• 1 month later...

Hello friends. I've been out of the shipyard for several weeks, mostly due to the start of a new school year. Well, my classes are up and running well now, and we were blessed with a nice cool day today, so I headed out to the Glacial Progress Boatworks and started work on the post that will hold up the catheads. The catheads will angle in from the tops of the bulwarks and bevel into the post. The bowsprit will sit on top of the one of the catheads to the side of the post. Not much work, but that's never stopped me from posting photos before.

Steve

post-7293-0-64160100-1411852506_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-43895600-1411852516_thumb.jpg

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Wow!  The deck, the companion way, The bulwarks, the railing and post all look so clean and sharp.  Well done.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Lookin' good Steve, one bit at a time, have you decided if your going to venture into making your own ropes?

Thanks Steve, Sam, and J. I've looked at the rope in the kit and it looks more like string. I don't understand rope at all--other than the stuff my dad used to tow me behind his boat with. I think I'll have to look into rope making--and silver soldering--and how mid-19th-century capstans were put together and worked--and what anchors looked like back then--and how they were stowed, etc.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

All the new things we need to learn.  Just like going back to school.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Steve,

Unless the idea of making your own rope really appeals to you, why not check out chucks Syren Ship Modeling site. I have bought some if his rope already and can tell you it looks great.

The prices seem reasonable to me. Especially when you consider what goes into baking your own rope.

Whith the amount of raw material you would need to buy plus your time, I expect you couldn't make it any cheaper.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

I recently replaced my string looking thread with Chuck's rope from his Syren Company. It is the best rope I have ever used!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Thanks Bob. When I innocently bought the kit, I had no idea I was signing up for a course in 19th-century naval technology. The thing is, you really start caring how pumps were made back then...I think this hobby just makes odd people even odder. In a good way, I hope.

Thanks Sam and Jesse. It's off to Syren I go. That's a great suggestion. I do want to learn to make myv own rope, but right now the idea is a bit overwhelming.

Steve

Edited by SGraham

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

I think this hobby just makes odd people even odder. In a good way, I hope.

I couldnt agree more. My Better Half tells me I am the oddest. :)

As far as the rope goes, to me at least, that sounds like an awful lot of work. This is supposed to be a hobby ;) But then....we are all odd arent we??  :P

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

• 2 months later...

Hello everybody. Well I finally got back out to the Glacial Progress Boatworks. It felt good to get something done on the Shenandoah. I finished the catheads yesterday and then today shaped the bowsprit. The aft end of the bowsprit is square where it connects to the post. Between the post and the bow it's octagonal, and then outboard of the bow it's round. It isn't actually attached yet; it has a wad of tissue paper jammed underneath it where it emerges from the bow bulwarks to hold it up. I roughly shaped it with a small plane and files and then got it round by chucking it up in my drill press and gripping it with sandpaper while it turned. My lathe isn't ready to use yet. Still, I'm pretty happy with its shape. I carved the two cleats out of some scrap ebony. I might have gone a little overboard with the bolts...

Question: I made the hole in the bow bulwarks much too large. Did the builders put some kind of gasket there to keep water from entering around the bowsprit?

Steve

post-7293-0-64248500-1418259817_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-36534700-1418259828_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-15102400-1418259855_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-78107500-1418259866_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-50243100-1418259877_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-81735400-1418259887_thumb.jpg

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Hey there SGraham! A real nice build you have! To be honest I think that gasket you were referring to may be right. I'm thinking of the movement from left to right on the bowsprit so surely there would have to be something plugging the gaps. I love your decking by he way. Great job.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Thanks J and Sam. I appreciate the kind comments. I've got some time off coming up, so I'm hoping to get some more done. Sam, yup, we're battening down the hatches so to speak. I hear there are two more storms stacked up behind this one. Do you think the Pineapple Express is back on the rails?

S. Coleman, thanks for dropping in. I'm thinking of trying to simulate a canvas gasket of some sort on the outside of the bulwark. I'm looking for a picture of how it was done.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)