Shenandoah 1864 by SGraham - FINISHED - Corel - Scale 1:50 - American Civil War-era Cutter

I'm impressed with the results and the process! Thanks for sharing!

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Thanks Sam, Jesse and Larry. I got the idea from "Watercraft Modeler's Handbook" by Benjamin Lankford, Jr. (Nautical Research Guild, Inc., 1988). He has a lot of helpful tips that are diagramed clearly enough for folks like me to follow.

Steve

post-7293-0-09526600-1420314948_thumb.jpg

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

I started work on the spars today. It's raining (hooray) and working in the boatyard while listening to the rain come down is a very pleasant way to spend an afternoon.

Here is the top of the lower mast. I made the ring below the mast cheeks with card stock. I love paper! It's great for folks who don't know how to solder yet. The cheeks and little cleats are walnut. I had to inlet the cleats into the mast because they were having a hard time staying attached. Inletted and pinned, they seem to be staying put. We'll see when I add more rigging. The block is from Chuck's store, Syren. He sells some really nice fittings.

The round-headed pins are steel pins that I turned in my dremel tool while holding them against a file. I chose to use steel pins instead of brass because you can blacken them with gun blueing. It goes right on without fastidious degreasing and it stays on real well.

Thanks for reading!

And check out J's Half Moon. He's all done!

Steve

post-7293-0-70258500-1421013051_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-30146300-1421013059_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-06219800-1421013067_thumb.jpg

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

I like paper too. I have no tools or material for metal working & using card stock has always worked well for me. I wish I had thought of using steel instead of brass. I found out the hard way that the gun bluing does not work well with brass. 

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Thanks J and Jesse. What does gun blueing do to brass?

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Not much at all. It might slightly darken in a spot or two but mostly nothing.

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Beautiful work, as always.

If I may add, though, in regards to Jesse's comment on bluing, that I've been using bluing on brass (only because I already have it at hand) and had reasonable success. It's an immediate reaction, after being wiped on, and once dipped in a base solution for a few seconds it's been ready to work with, uniform and black.

I don't want to appear contradictory, perhaps there are variables that I've been fortunate enough to miss, but it's done the job.

Anyway, the mast hoops are great!

Steve

I've heard others say it worked for them but mine didn't at all. I wonder if my solution is too old. It does still work on steel.

Thanks for the replies, Jesse, David, and Steve. I've heard others, like David, report great success with Brass Black. I'm still having a hard time getting it to work well. It takes a lot of prep and then needs a couple of treatments. And then the coating is very fragile. For simulating round-headed bolts, it's really fast to use a steel pin, turn it against a file and hit it with gun blueing. Like Steve, I find the metal turns immediately dark black with a durable finish. I don't even degrease the pins first. I guess I need to practice more with the Brass Black. But when I need round-headed bolts now, the steel is an easy solution.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

I think you call these the cross trees. They are about halfway done. I used some ebony scrap from a piece of leftover guitar binding to make them. The ends of the spreaders are grooved to take the deadeyes and futtocks for the topmast. This was the fiddliest work yet for my stubby fingers.

Thanks for reading.

Steve

post-7293-0-78835700-1421131099_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-66646200-1421131114_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-43507700-1421131127_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-70161700-1421131141_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-25823900-1421131153_thumb.jpg

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Hi,

I have just spent the night reading your build log. Some very nice work you have done! It's high quality work like this that makes beginners like me feel slightly intimidated to post their own work. I can only hope, in time, I may gain the skills and patience needed to do such fine work. Keep it up and I look forward to following your build. I have learnt lots from it already.

Cheers, Scott.

P.s I have now lost another nights work on my build! Too busy reading about yours!! 

lovely masting work Steve,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Looks great!

Thanks Jesse, Sam, Nils, and J. I appreciate the kind words. I'm finding the mast to be more challenging to build than the hull. I'm glad this little ship only has one mast.

Welcome aboard, Scott. Thanks for the nice comments. This is my first build log, and I've found folks to be very encouraging and helpful. What are you building right now?

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Here's a tiny bit more progress. I made and attached the spreaders for the backstays. I think they are yellow boxwood. The yellow doesn't look so garish in real life. The ebony is going to be left unfinished. The boxwood has a little tung oil rubbed into it. It's funny that such a seemingly simple part could take so long to make and attach. Like the crosstrees, these are notched on the ends to take the stays.

Thanks for reading!

Steve

post-7293-0-02581500-1421214147.jpg

post-7293-0-27201000-1421214161_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-56012600-1421214177_thumb.jpg

Edited by SGraham

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Thanks J. I'll be getting to ratlines soon. Be still my heart!

A while ago I picked up a used foredom tool with a bunch of used burrs from a retired jeweler. I used a tiny cylindrical burr on the ends of the spreaders. It's quick and accurate. With the dremel tool I had been using, with its on/off only capabilities, tool points were scooting all over the place. The foredom with its rheostat pedal makes it a lot easier to keep the tool point where I want it.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Good deal... that's got to be much better mine, is variable speed but that doesn't help with the start-up serge...I been thinking about about modifying mine with a sewing machine pedal...would be a diy  Frankenstein...got to noodle on it for a while...any why nice work my man  looking really fine

J

I think a sewing machine pedal would work fine on a variable speed rotary tool. The foredom's pedal looks suspiciously singer-esque.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Those foredooms are great. I used one when I was a bench jeweler. Used to take my model ship parts to work to dill/grind/sand them then take them home to add to the build. The only mistake I ever made was not to buy one for myself back then. What was I thinking?!?!

Got a little more done today. I added one more cross piece to the cross trees. I also made a support for the boom. Then I attempted a mast boot. I learned that at least some were made of canvas with metal bands above and below to fasten them to the mast and deck. For the canvas I used a piece of paper towel covered in shellac. The metal bands were made of card stock and pinned to the mast and deck with blackened steel pins. The paint on the boot is pretty garish looking, especially in the flash of the camera. I may change the color. Thanks for reading!

Steve

post-7293-0-25997000-1421618711_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-85347000-1421618719_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-60838900-1421618727_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-44544200-1421618737_thumb.jpg

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Thanks J. The ring around the base of the mast is card stock. The ports where the chains enter are the brass ones that came with the kit.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Good to hear from you, Scott. I'll enjoy checking out your building logs.

I started rigging the bowsprit. I was looking in Murphy and Jeffers Spars and Rigging, from Nautical Routine, 1849 and found a plate of a royal bowlines grommet. It's the first photo--the one that looks like a pleasantly surprised frog. I don't have the foggiest notion of what a royal bowlines Grommet is, other than a guess that it lives with a royal bowlines Wallace. Anyways, I thought it might work on the end of a bowsprit, and it looked fun to try. Ha! This rigging stuff is way harder than the building. I came up with something that sort of resembles said grommet, and it provides 3 nice purchase points for the standing rigging of the sprit. It's a little bulky, but oh well... The lanyards that attach to the catheads are seriously lopsided too. One side is half again as long as the other. Still, it goes right along with the lopsided scuppers.

Thanks for reading!

Good night.

Steve

post-7293-0-12346700-1421648859_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-41105300-1421648894_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-26402000-1421648902_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-30029100-1421648914_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-89654200-1421648922_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-73134000-1421648935_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-06323800-1421648943_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-51011600-1421648950_thumb.jpg

post-7293-0-66178900-1421648964_thumb.jpg