LPH-11 USS New Orleans by Spaceman Spiff - Iron Shipwrights - 1/350 - RESIN

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, ddp said:

your mast should be tapered, thinner & shorter above the an/sps platform as shown in this link.

https://www.navsource.org/archives/10/11/10111131.jpg

Appreciate that. Just how do I properly taper a brass rod? Thanks for that image - that’s after multiple refits. Here is the timeframe I’m modeling: 

40DBE5F3-4E59-4FBD-B9C9-3265BEC693F1.jpeg

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

Posted (edited)

cut the brass rod flush to the top of the platform then get a solid plastic rod so just fits into the brass rod. taper the plastic rod to the right shape by carving, scraping with a knife blade or use a hand drill/drill press with the plastic rod partly inserted into the chuck to use as a lathe.

your picture time frame appears to be around 1974 or earlier because of the mast behind the island which not there in 1975 as replaced with a dome but has the twin 3" gun mounts in those time periods.

Edited by ddp

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Another minor update. I decided not to taper the mast - I know, it’s not right… I’m trying my best to get it to match the pic above, as she was in ‘69. Still a lot more to go on mast, but it’s trying there. Not perfect, or even good. I am aware it’s leaning, it’s not glued in yet Thanks for looking! 

24225392-64A1-4488-8BFF-4113F6E8FE5D.jpeg

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

• 2 weeks later...

Update: paint is on. The island was primed with Mr Surfacer 1500 thinned with Mr Color Leveling Thinner. Great stuff. White was then used in sort of a black basing method, although the tonal differences aren’t really visible in the pics. Time to set it aside and work on the harder stuff. Thank you for looking. 10EA95E3-2502-4D52-B80B-9C41D52B0D23.thumb.jpeg.367dde1b5eeeb42fa7b0fb20e967bc74.jpegAFEB6341-3FA9-400C-9BF4-70FC88F9FFF3.thumb.jpeg.9f0edbe74a8ed01085e01f929ced2781.jpegDBB25CEA-4F25-4F4D-9A85-6128557310B1.thumb.jpeg.fb747b8090512c2ff17e0dcfb5176e6c.jpegC26DDBCB-C06C-46B0-8508-0203EDC88814.thumb.jpeg.7c6cdbf3fdaf2765a0419f2d66818d67.jpeg

Thanks man. Still some rough areas and I definitely could have done better (I critique my work harder than anyone else), but it’s not bad. The hull is a different story as trying to fit the fight deck to it proved to be no fun at all. A lot of grinding/cutting/shaving/sanding is ahead of me. Not to mention that the sides are not exactly straight. A lot more to go but at least there is light in the tunnel lol

I guess with that in mind, it all comes down to how accurate you want the part of the hull above the waterline to be in regards to distances between hatches, fittings, and vents and the flight deck. Shimming and milliput might be the way to go if you already have the interior of the hull fitted out.

Personally, I have only had to do this on small pieces but it is possible on large pieces. That said, the Googles has this to say: 

• Hot water
    Submerge the resin in hot water (around 55°C) for about five minutes. The resin will become flexible and can be reshaped by hand while it's still hot. Once it cools, the resin will harden again.
  • Hair dryer or heat gun
    Heat the resin until it becomes more pliable, then shape it into a mold or curved surface and tape it in place until it sets. You can also use heat to bend resin that has already cured, but it might try to revert to its original shape.

There would definitely be some slight alterations to the shape. Maybe you have a spare piece or something you could try it out on first to get an idea?

Posted (edited)

Glue: epoxy or gel super glue. Thought I’ll take plasticard, etc, and make what I can. On the sides, I was thinking of making little braces so to speak and then use the plastic sheet to sort of wall it off. Up at the bow where it curves I was thinking of making more braces it whatever and then using miliput and shape it (if I can). Yes I have a compass 

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

give a slight sand to both the plastic sheet & the top of the hull to give the glue more surface area to attach to. put a shim or whatever between the deck &  hull top but not glued then use the compass at the widest part of the gap with 1 part of the compass sliding across the deck  & the scribe part of the compass to the hull at the widest part. slide the top part of the compass along the deck edge as the scribe part of the compass scribes a line parallel to the deck into the hull till you reach the end of the gap. cut away the material above the scribed line till the end of the gap. now the gap should have the same width from the front to the back of the gap which you can now fill with strips of plastic & once the glue has cured, can carve/sand that area to proper shape. once primed & painted, you won't know that there was a gap there. 

even tho i currently only work with plastic, i use that same principle on my 1/429 scale OBB's & my gaps are almost non-existant with hardly any putty use.

Now that is an awesome idea! Thank you. Think I should glue the deck at the points it fits and then use that method? I really like that. I’ll also measure the door/platform attachment points/ etc are on hull and then remake them in their proper place. You’ve given me some hope, man 

On 7/9/2024 at 11:15 PM, ddp said:

how flat does the keel lay on a flat straight surface?

I removed the pour stubs last night just to see how it sat - fine in the middle and both ends raised off the table…so both ends droop at the top and at the bottom, raised. Almost as if each end shrank. As I said, I’ll make an at sea dio so the bottom parts are covered.