I am working on my first boat. A Mamoli Constitution. Does anyone have any advice as to how to position and drill the hole to put the cathead through? I have reviewed all the plans, looked at the photos, and reviewed the angles in Marquardt's "The Anatomy of a 44 Gun Frigate". It just makes me really nervous to drill holes through the hull. I know it has to be done, I just want to make sure I do it correctly to minimize issues.

Once I have correctly located the hole, what is the best procedure to actually drill the hole. I have everything from a hand drill to a floor standing drill press. That or I could use the Foredom rotary tool. 

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Bill

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Without seeing what your model actually looks like, i can only offer a general suggestion. Measure and mark out the hole first. Now check it again!  Drill an undersized hole slowly, backing up with a pad of scrap wood. Holding the pad tightly against the inside of the hull will prevent tearing out when the drill bit breaks through. Slowly enlarge the hole to the size and shape you want using Swiss files. That way you maintain good control over the operation.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

That way you maintain good control over the operation.

Which you won't do if you bring out the rotary tool.  This is an operation to which the rotary tool is not suited.  It can take too much off too easily.

Colin

--

Current Builds: HMS Pandora 1/64 Scratch

Jeannie Johnston;

18thC Longboat with my son

Previous Builds: HMB Bounty - Caldercraft

Running Round my head: HMS Speedy (1782) - vaguely thinking POF

"If at first you don't succeed, try it your wifes' way"

Thanks all. I used the advice to take it slowly and start with a small drill bit. I had studied the plans and looked at it nine ways and drew it out on the hull sides. I did however use the power drill with VERY sharp bits that were new. Once the hole was enlarged enough, I stuck toothpicks through the holes and compared the results and adjusted the holes accordingly. After removing the toothpicks I added superglue to the holes inside and out to prevent splintering since the interior bulkhead was very thin. After I progressed through larger and larger bits until it was slightly smaller the the 4mm hole size. Then I used a very sharp xacto blade to square the holes up and test fit the cathead. Once I was pleased with the fits of both, I glued the first one up then the second and matched it to the first.

I am quite proud of the results. Thank you all for your advice and giving me the courage to put the holes into the hull.  I am almost ready to start painting the hull. It is really coming along.

Bill

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Bill,

I hope you'll start a build log.  It will be the best way to get questions answered plus, for things like this, you'll leave a legacy for others. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I agree with Mark, Bill.

A lot of questions you might have will give many answers from a lot of experienced people.

At first I was very hesitant to start a log, because I knew that I didn't know a lot.

But what the hay; nobody knows everything about one subject, so I asked and still ask and get great information from those who know more than I do.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .