Dos Amigos by Meredith - OcCre - 1:53

Hi Meredith:

She's really looking great! As for your questions, here's my opinion:

1. I think you can leave them natural, but I might darken them a bit for my own taste (as if that matters!!). I was planning on using the brass ones supplied with the kit and blackening them, but I've stained the pin racks in Golden Oak. I think blackened pins on the blackened racks might look a bit odd....but it's your choice, unless someone has a more expert opinion.

2. My feeling is yes - what gauge of rigging line are you using now? I would definitely go a bit bigger, though again, clearer heads may have a different idea...

3. Hard to say, but again my feeling is yes. Are these 4mm? I would go smaller myself....then again, I'm stuck with a bunch of 4mm OcCre blocks with no Chuck blocks on the way!! I might have to order some of those too, just so my build doesn't look even poorer next to yours!

Anyway, beautiful work! Looking forward to seeing your rigging

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Thanks so much for the feedback Hamilton. You have said what I was thinking. So I think I will go with that :) unless some else comes up with suggestion I can consider

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

Schooner for Port Jackson

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

Meredith:

Nice build so far. The overall color scheme is very attractive. This is going to be a fine model when completed.

Now, to answer your questions.

1. the belaying pins should be darker. Light/medium brownish. That will fit better in your overall color scheme. Another option is to get some brass belaying pins and use a brown metal toner. The reason I mention that is because the brass pins tend to have a better scale look because the heads are not so thick. However, the wood pins will look better and not so thick, if they are darker.

2. the breeching on the carronade should be slightly thicker, but it is not that bad an issue.

3. the tiller blocks could be a bit smaller.

All of these suggestions will help improve the overall scale presentation of the model. When using a darker color scheme, having light colored belaying pins (and a lot of them) will make them look wrong. The tiller blocks, if smaller, will place them more into the context of the model, meaning scale presentation. On fittings, when in doubt, the general rule is to err on the small side.

Russ

Edited by russ

Beautiful work, Meridith. I agree that wood colors look good and Russ and Hamilton have some good suggestions.

Er.. on the photo upload.. it's IE11 that's causing the issue.  Use Chrome (which I see you did), Firefox, or roll IE back to 10.

I did notice that ones you uploaded to your server show that they reside there.  Which may be a bad thing if your sever ever crashes or you close your account all of your pictures will disappear.   Uploaded to MSW is usually preferred since people close accounts, etc. and next thing is we have readers screaming that the pictures are gone.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Just working on the masts - after fixing the color of the belaying pins - removed the blocks on the tiller - and i think I will change the size of the rope on the cannon while it's easy to get to.

I have re made all the ply pieces on the fore mast in pear - but they also supplied a rather chunky metal piece that is supposed to be the top trestletree. I will re make it - but the shape is weird. From all the pictures in the two Lennarth Petersson books I have - they should just be a smaller copy of the lower trestletrees. I have looked ahead with the very brief instructions and I cannot see any use for the extra pieces. I will take some pics and see if anyone can set me straight.

Thanks Mark the photo upload was confusing me - not sure why I even considered changing my browser yesterday - but as you know it works :) I have fair bit of confidence in my server and the people who run it it's been rock solid for about 15 years and it's unlikely that my account will ever close with them but I know what you mean about pics disappearing on posts. A real pity when you find an older thread on a forum and all the pics are gone!

Edited by Meredith

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

The new colour for belaying pins..

20140809dosamigos28.jpg

The problem with the trestletrees....

20140809dosamigos26.jpg

From Lennarth Petersson's book.... sure its just one pic - but all the other examples he uses are pretty similar

20140809dosamigos27.jpg

So I dont think I need to copy the heavy metal kit supplied top trestletrees.. I would have thought just the same as the bottom ones - only a bit smaller in length and width.

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

The belaying pin color is much better. Your trestle trees look good too.

Russ

Very nice build. What did you use for the sheaves in your blocks? I also like the contrast in wood colors. I would darken the belaying pins similar to the ones around the mast but not make them black.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Nice looking pins, Meredith. As for the mast top - I think you're right - I don't know why they included that strange triangular metal part....I think the topmast trees should be as you built them, slightly smaller than the main trees...

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Very nice build. What did you use for the sheaves in your blocks? I also like the contrast in wood colors. I would darken the belaying pins similar to the ones around the mast but not make them black.

I used some brass sheaves from RB Models - also available from Cornwall model boats and a few other places.

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/rb-rigging-sheaves.html

Edited by Meredith

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

• 8 years later...

This part build is free to a good home - to finish off - along with all my model making supplies, some tools, Byrnes rope walk, books and plans etc .  A few personal issues have got in the way of modelling and if someone is willing to pick up from Maroochy River area is all yours……

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch