J Boat Endeavour by fnkershner - Amati - 1:35

Did I mention that primer shows every flaw! :angry: :angry:

Edited by Floyd Kershner

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Hi Floyd

It's good to hear from you. In my other life as a volunteer modeller for a small maritime museum I am making a small model of an old harbour pilot boat. The hull is shaped from two solid halves built up from MDF board and is about 500mm long. I found that wood filler works well for largish dents but another modeller recommended using automotive spray putty for the small imperfections. Over the last week I have been using the putty and it has been really good though I'm not sure how it would handle flexing planks if that problem is still occurring. The putty sands very easily with first 400 then 800 grit for a very smooth finish ready for painting. The other modeller has used the putty with excellent results for painted hulls just like yours.

Blackie

Edited by Blackie

Current build: Amati Shamrock V 1:80

Past Builds: Kits: Schooner for Port Jackson, MSY and St Lucia (Tartane), Panart, Modified Harvey, AL

Scratch: Captain Cook III Pilot Steamer, Kookaburra II motor launch, Sydney Heritage Fleet Steam Tug Waratah

Wow, still cant get over how big the 1:35 scale is! Looks good. I tackled some painting this weekend also, and you're right about how much that first primer coat lets you know you're not finished! I'm worried about my waterline...I got lucky and drew a perfect waterline on bluenose the first time I tried on her, but had a little trouble on this one.

Good luck with the rest of painting and filling...looking forward to seeing more updates.

Blackie - That's a great Idea. How thick is the layer once it is sprayed on? I will go try to find some. Is it something that is carried in an auto parts store?

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

Floyd

The spray putty is available here at the auto parts shops for about $10. It looks and works like a large can of insect spray. The one that I am using goes on easily with a few passes to cover the hull - try not to go over the area already done and it takes about 4/5 minutes to dry before you do another coat. The extra coat is only if you can still see some dents which show up easily just like your primer coat shows them. In theory the can says to allow about 4 hours before you sand but I have found that after say 1/2 hour you can give it a light sand to see if you will need any more coats. The instructions on your can will give you guidance.

Blackie

Current build: Amati Shamrock V 1:80

Past Builds: Kits: Schooner for Port Jackson, MSY and St Lucia (Tartane), Panart, Modified Harvey, AL

Scratch: Captain Cook III Pilot Steamer, Kookaburra II motor launch, Sydney Heritage Fleet Steam Tug Waratah

If the deck is not on yet, epoxy the inside to stiffen the planks.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Bob - I would do the epoxy idea except for a couple of issues - 1 is that I would have to cut into the false deck. by itself not a big deal but then you come to the real concern - How do I get past the bulkheads? I don't relish cutting into those.

I think Blackie has the right approach. If I carefully use wood glue and his putty...? So this log will go dark for a couple of weeks while I try these things and do a little enjoying the summer.

Edited by Floyd Kershner

Hi Floyd, Intresting build you have here , I did not realize that you were building one as well, I noticed your build when I was looking in on Dave's Endeavour, Nice work I will follow along. She's looking Good. Nice work

Best Regards,

Pete

Edited by Pete48

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Pete - I think when I went for the 1:35 scale I did not realize what I had gotten myself into. I might have been better off with Dave's kit. But both of us have the same design by the same manufacturer. If I can get past the issues I am having right now with the hull planking (read learning experience). I will be able to paint, plank the deck and build the deck furniture. This kit has some wonderful details. I can't wait to get there.

Floyd,

You have been blocked by this hull for quite some time. Gather your courage and skills and let's smooth that hull.

A nice coat of primer will show you all the imperfections(as you realized), and more coats of primer will make it perfect.

After that a nice layer of glossy paint will finish it all.

Good luck. You are almost there.

Yves

Hi Floyd, I agree with Yves, you are almost there

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thanks guys for the vote of confidence. I will finish this weekend (the Admiral is going to be out of town!)

• 3 months later...

G;Day Sir Floyd , I love building Scratch built Model ships , My latest is one of the J boat Endeavour  , It is solid mahogany , Mapel stripes for sheer and water line and Walnut top side , coming along quite well , Havent figured out quite how to post photos here yet , I am having dificulty finding the hardware for this one , the Wheel and winches and all ..Trying to contact Amati as there Kit is about the same size as my modell is at 50" , Prehaps if anyone knows how to aquire the fitting kit frome Amati I would sure be gratefull , ..The Plank on Frame boat you completed looks Grand by the way ..Verry profesional job ..Thank You ..I do notice no one seems to build the Endeavour as she looks today after Elizabeth Meyer Re Build with an Engine and propeller... Wish i could post a photo of mine nearing completion here , needs deck hardware and installing the Spars and rigging yet , But the Hull is done ...Well G'Day Sir Floyd.....Thank You ....Frank....out

• 4 months later...

Was this Endeavour kit ever completed, as the last posting seems to have been in November last year.  I am building this kit now and although the hull planking was quite successful, I decided not to double plank it, but to apply a fine resin cloth and 3 coats of resin.  Total weight was only 4 ounces, as I thinned the resin with denatured alcohol (methylated spirit) 50% and it went on like water.  I would post a photograph, but I cannot find how to attach it to this message.  I am now ready to plank the deck.

A further question if I may Floyd.  The instructions call for the deck planking to be applied after the side planking is complete, including those intricate looking 1mm thick handrail strips with lots of elongated holes in them.  Firstly, I do not see how they are held in place and secondly, if they are fitted at this early stage of the build, they sure as hell will get damaged as the build progresses.  Any thoughts that you may have would be appreciated, or the opinions of other NRG members that you know who may have built the Amati Endeavour.  As you will see, I planked once and then glassed in a thin resin cloth.  Thanks and regards.  John

post-18785-0-35371600-1427037085_thumb.jpg

post-18785-0-35371600-1427037085_thumb.jpg 

post-18785-0-53472000-1427037107_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

My hull is now virtually complete and I have no regrets that I decided to apply a fine glass cloth and a coat of resin.

It goes without saying, that the planked hull had to be near perfect, before applying the cloth and resin, although I was able to rub down when the resin had cured, before applying 2 coats of primer (a further rub down) and 3 coats of spray

Rustoleum paint (colour: deep blue) with a 600 grade wet and dry sanding before the final coat.

The end result has made my jeans fit just a little tighter.

post-18785-0-43218900-1431960503_thumb.jpg

Floyd, that finish is beautiful.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Sorry John, my oops.

Bob