Oseberg Viking Ship by Norseman - Billing Boats - 1/25 Scale - 9th century

Making very good progress, Norseman. Most people seem to have trouble with the planks - not sure if it's a fault in the kit or just the way it goes with such a complex shape.

I think you're right to try making your own rudder fittings. Plywood really isn't suitable for something like that.

Steven

• 2 weeks later...

Of course you could take the top plank off, make a new, slightly wider one for each side and do it all over again.

But why?  Who's going to look to see how much overlap there is? Apart from anything else, it's invisible - the only way you can check is to measure the distance from the top to the bottom of the top plank both inside and outside and compare the two.

The model is looking good. You're doing fine.

Steven

The only way I could see a problem is if the narrow overlap produced a weak glue joint, such that the planks separated later on, either as you're handling the model and flexing the hull, or as the wood naturally shrinks and swells with environmental changes. On my Viking longship, I had some plank joints like this that cracked open later in the build during handling. The gaps were minor and I decided to ignore them (you can only see them looking straight down between the planks) but it is technically a concern. There's such a long run of glue connecting the plank edges that you'll likely be fine if any one place gives out. 

Model looks great overall!

Thanks for the input Steven and Cathead. Cathead, I have had a couple of joints come apart when handling also. So far I have put some glue back into the joints and its worked. I am finding as I put more pieces on the ship the more sturdy it gets.

I am now installing some veneer on to the dragon head and down on to the keel of the ship.  

IMG_2179.thumb.JPG.f4c377e9baac7257f9df40d9e1bded05.JPG

IMG_2178.thumb.JPG.56a186aa3eb599e8f27eeb63ed6fb5f4.JPG

Edited by norseman
two pictures the same

53 minutes ago, norseman said:

I am finding as I put more pieces on the ship the more sturdy it gets.

Yes, it's a nice surprise to discover that (I still remember my first time). It's amazing how sturdy they get - much stronger than one would expect from looking at them.

54 minutes ago, norseman said:

I am now installing some veneer on to the dragon head and down on to the keel of the ship.  

One of the drawbacks of plywood keels. I prefer solid wood. Still, most people seem to manage. :D 

Steven

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...