Hi

I just ordered a batch of walnut wood and found that the variations in colour were were quite radical. All the planks in the attached picture are supposed to be walnut, varying in colour from redish, greyish and brownish to very bright, almost white. 

I understand that colour may vary if the wood is from different batches but I didn't expect it to vary this much. What do you say?

Cheers

post-9094-0-78233600-1402850125_thumb.jpg

It's probably all walnut.  The catch is the supplier.  Some will try to match from various billets, other will just grab what they can and fill the order.  Even within a given log, there's color variations.  So it boils down to the supplier.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

There will be differences between the heartwood and the sapwood in a given log and there will be differences from log to log. It looks as if the supplier just made up the order with what was on hand without regard to color matching. It is always best to ask for as close a match as possible.

Russ

You can treat the wood with a pre-conditioner then stain an appropriate color.  That should even out the variations somewhat.  The variations are sometimes caused by the grain density, in which case the pre-conditioner can help....some.   I would send the photo to the supplier, mentioning how dissatisfied you are with the variations,  and either suggest he do a better job of matching in future orders, or just order from Jeff at Hobbymill from now on.  He always tries to match what he sends out.

Good luck

Tom

Thanks for feedback. The dimensions and finish were also very different, some planks were at least 1.5 if not 2mm wide compared to the 1mm I ordered. So clearly the wood came from a few different batches. 

I did get in touch with the supplier and suggested that maybe they could knock off the 8 (or was it 9) EUR from next order as a gesture. I got an arrogant answer back so that made it simple, next time I'll just order my stuff elsewhere (I was actually about to order sails worth around EUR100).

I just can't understand how stupid sales people are sometimes. If a customer complains, then you apologize (a few times for effect). Simple as that. And you offer a free coffee if you work in a restaurant. TaDa, happy customer that will return!

Thanks for feedback. The dimensions and finish were also very different, some planks were at least 1.5 if not 2mm wide compared to the 1mm I ordered. So clearly the wood came from a few different batches. 

I did get in touch with the supplier and suggested that maybe they could knock off the 8 (or was it 9) EUR from next order as a gesture. I got an arrogant answer back so that made it simple, next time I'll just order my stuff elsewhere (I was actually about to order sails worth around EUR100).

I just can't understand how stupid sales people are sometimes. If a customer complains, then you apologize (a few times for effect). Simple as that. And you offer a free coffee if you work in a restaurant. TaDa, happy customer that will return!

In today's world most companies have forgotten that "the customer is always right".  

I don't mean that literally of course, however, it appears that most companies are of the opinion that "it's only one customer - so what".  And since it's almost impossible to get large groups of people to "band" together (for any reason whatsoever) that the companies believe that they are immune to any boycott or at risk of loss of their customer base.

There are a few exceptions.  Model Expo for one has the most amazing guarantee that I have ever seen.  They will always get my business (what little I can throw their way), but for the most part companies no longer care about customers (unless maybe it's a start up company).

Previous build(mostly) - 18th Century Longboat

Current build - Bounty Launch

Next build - San Francisco by AL

Future build - Red Dragon

Future build - Mayflower from Model Expo

I don't mean that literally of course, however, it appears that most companies are of the opinion that "it's only one customer - so what".  And since it's almost impossible to get large groups of people to "band" together (for any reason whatsoever) that the companies believe that they are immune to any boycott or at risk of loss of their customer base.

There are a few exceptions.  Model Expo for one has the most amazing guarantee that I have ever seen.  They will always get my business (what little I can throw their way), but for the most part companies no longer care about customers (unless maybe it's a start up company).

Although hard to deny this, I've seen in the retail market where one dissatisfied customer can lead to up to potentially 10 lost customers.  The dissatisfied one tells all his/her friends and they never return to that store.  On the flip side, one good review will likely generate the same gains in customers.  I have heard nothing but good things about ME from all you wonderful and helpful people here, and will likely purchase from them in the future - pending the Admirals approval of course.

Carl

Completed builds: AL Bluenose II 1:75  Gallery
                              Amati Hannah SIB 1:300  Gallery

Current Build: Bluenose II - SIB - unknown scale

I am in the US and would like to buy some 2x3mm walnut. I'm a newby to this and would like some suggestions where to buy.

johnroy

Have a look here:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/384-where-to-buy-wood/

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)