Hanseatic Ship c. 1470 by Foremast - 1:50 scale

NICE!!!   love how you've done that!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks, Popeye!

Next two pictures show completely the reason of my building choices. In this way, the gunports' frames are thin and totally included in the planking. Besides, they protrude a bit adding realism to the whole structure. The following pictures show three red stripes, but the highest will be removed and changed with a white one.

Cheers

Alex

post-1226-0-35138300-1365441403_thumb.jpg

post-1226-0-73506800-1365441418_thumb.jpg

If any of you cry at my funeral, I'll never speak to you again! (Stan Laurel)

You can certainly see where they protrude.  It adds a whole new texture there.  The red surprised me!!!!

Ate in your town at a few great restaurants about 30 years ago.  Maybe they're still there.  Might be worth a trip over to get some Pasta Carciofi and stop by your place :rolleyes:

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

...eh ...eh ...eh ...!!!

Red is for the lower part of the forecastle. There's a white colored middle part and a semi-natural wooden part on the top. Semi-natural because (as shown in the pictures) it's a bit stained with dark linseed oil. You can see the difference: the hull under the forecastle is still natural, meanwhile the forecastle is stained.

Cheers

Alex

p.s. this picture is a prewiev.... In fact you can see also the wales (red)

Pasta ai carciofi is a typical recipe of my town. But you can find lots of varieties of pasta all'uovo (pasta made with flour an eggs). If you decide to come here, tell me something ....!!!!

post-1226-0-48061700-1365443544_thumb.jpg

Edited by Foremast

Wow......gets your attention.  Looking forward to more!!!!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I'm sure we'll see that on the ship {flag}......or perhaps even on the main sail..........superb bit of progress......must have been qwuite tedious to paint around the gun ports......;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Those windows are so gorgeous. They are so precise they almost look like they had to be laser cut (if I hadn't seen your step by steps I wouldn't have believed you made them) keep it up!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

Thanks Popeye and thanks Sarah!

I'd like to put Lubeck's coat-of-arms on the sail, but I don't know how can do it without getting mad. :huh: 

It wasn't at all tedious to paint around gunports: first I carved and shaped every strip to surround every gunport's frame, then I painted them, in the end I pasted each one. That particular reddish color was obtained blackening every strip (and wales), then painting between the fingers: I put a drop of (acrylic) color on the forefinger, then I slided the strip between forefinger and thumb. In this way, the color is perfectly stretched on the strip and the wood's (blackened) grain glimpses out of the varnish, giving an idea of ancient timber.

Cheers

Alex

you could try.......

if you have a photo shop in your computer.......create the image or import it.......sail cloth will go through the printer with no problem,  just be ready to guide it.    I use decal bonder to seal the cloth,  so the color doesn't run.......do light coats......two or three should do the trick.

superb job on the ship Alex.........that crest would look great on a sail.   you can even do flags in the same manner.  it can even be wrinkled nicely when dry.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Your idea is very interesting .... !!!! When the moment for sails arrives, I'll surely try to do that. That eagle in the main sail, can be really impressive. About flags, in every paint they're thin and only red and white.

Thanks a lot

Alex

Edited by Foremast

I did the flag for the Susan A in this method............tried diluted white glue,  but the image on the flag didn't like that  LOL!   light coat,  let it dry a bit,  then do another.........if you want a third coat......do the same as the first.   it might even be a good idea to let the sail set for a short time as well,  to give the ink a chance to dry before you do it.   I hope it goes well for you..........love to see it!   ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

You've truely motivated me to try that kind of challenge! :dancetl6:

Here's a sort of prewiev of the future goal (image from: http://www.schiffsspotter.de/Repliken/Kraweel_Lisa_von_Luebeck.htm)

Thanks and ... ahoi! ... :10_1_10:

Alex

post-1226-0-02139300-1365573013_thumb.jpg

That would be spectacular Alex.  I see Popeye has given you not only encouragement but a method as well.  Although I wouldn't have the guts to try it myself, I'll be watching :)

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

now  THAT is awesome!   I like it!!!   could have hit the like button........but this is beauty overload!  I was looking in my decal folder,  and I have a couple of flags that I made for the Susan A.     that crest you showed would look nice on a sail  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Augie and Popeye, you're really great fans of this ship. We (me and Hansy, the ship) thank you a lot!

When it will be the moment, I'll try all what you wrote to copy that crest on a sail. Hoping to succeed in doing it (my original idea was to make a vertical-strips sail, and this complicates a bit this matter) ... It won't be easy, but I'm stubborn and something will come out.

Thanks again

Alex

Hi all,

here is the internal view of the fore area. The wood is stained. In the last photo, a full view of the ship's right side ... aft frames, on the poopdeck, were temporary removed because of a placing mistake: I hadn't considered the correct thickness of planking :angry:

Cheers

Alex

post-1226-0-27264600-1365687271_thumb.jpg

post-1226-0-86256300-1365687275_thumb.jpg

post-1226-0-55051500-1365687281_thumb.jpg

post-1226-0-68831100-1365687292_thumb.jpg

shows just how much thought your putting into her.......looking great!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice contrasts in wood tones Alex.  Rather striking.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Thanks BE, Popeye, Jaro and Augie!

The final colour of the hull will look like to Lisa von Lubeck's. For the wales, I had to choose between dark cream and red; I'm glad you think red is good. I preferred not to add another colour: wood, red and white seemed me enough.

Jaro, thanks for your pictures: they solve a problem of mine. I had thought to put cleats on the mainmast, but I wasn't sure it was correct. Now I see it's right!!!! Thanks also to commander Jimmy, I'm sure he's a great sailor!!!

Cheers

Alex

Hi mates,

a little step: foredeck. This is a test, the lower part - the fore area of the main deck - still lacks of its supporting elements. I thought that making the deck first, then beams, could help me to collocate upper elements (foremast, bitts) but it hasn't been a good idea. Difficulties have been, instead, more: the easier drilling of deck's holes is nothing in comparision with the difficulty to bend properly the deck.

Chees

Alex

post-1226-0-57153000-1366199037_thumb.jpg

post-1226-0-84231800-1366199043_thumb.jpg

post-1226-0-82217300-1366199049_thumb.jpg

post-1226-0-21259000-1366199058_thumb.jpg

looking good Alex  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi, Popeye!

There's a false deck under the visible deck, made with a 0,6 mm thick birch plywood. In this way, it had been possible to have - at the same time - a strong deck and thin covering strips that simulate, in scale, the planking. They protrude a bit out of the first beam, so they seem the only planking.

Cheers

Alex

This ship is starting to look too real.  It's scary  :)

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Nonsense.  If I can do it, anyone can do it.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Alex I am sure that when you start the rigging you will do an excellent job.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

well.....it looks great....however you made it!  I even went back and looked at the pictures again........very nice indeed ;)    all you need now are the supports  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: