Making Beaded Moldings

CharlieZardoz

Greetings all!  I am a beginner in the field of wooden ship modeling (though I have some experience through my grandfather who did a scratch build Santa Maria years back).  My "noob" question is about beaded moldings and for clarity I took a few photo's off the Sultana Practicum (which I plan to start building shortly and very excited about).  I'm trying to determine the best method to make them, tools etc. or even better if any model sites sell beaded molding strips already complete in respective scale.  Thank you all and appreciate the learned advice.

Charlie 

post-15936-0-54418400-1413234573_thumb.jpg

post-15936-0-05032800-1413234578_thumb.jpg

Build on hold: HM Sultana 1/64th scale

Current Build: 31 ton Doughty revenue cutter as USRC Active 1/64th scale (in progress)

Future Interests: Ballahoo, Diligence, Halifax and beyond...

You can unfortunately not buy the beaded molding any longer.  That was a long time ago that I bought those.   Basically you need to create a profile in a piece of sheet brass.or a straight razor.  See below...its pretty clear.  There are many ways to create the profile...needle files,  dremel cut off wheel etc.   I am sure others will chime in here.  

post-246-0-22767900-1362718081.jpg

post-246-0-07729900-1362718096.jpg

post-2-0-71358100-1399077505_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-03593700-1399077505_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-53534000-1399077506_thumb.jpg

Chuck

What do you use to cut such fine (small) shapes into the razor/scraper - just small files?  I've not been able to find files small enough for a lot of that detail, especially in a round shape.

yes...i usually just use my cheap a small files because the edge will end up getting ruined over time.  I also use a small razor saw sometimes.  I prefer NOT to use the dremel.  This is what works for me but maybe others have different idea.  That file in the photo is the one I actually used.   The tip is quite small in diameter.    Careful slow deliberate strokes.  It takes a while.

Chuck

Thanks for this information.  Do you actually slice off  the scrap wood like with a  plane or is it more of a scratching and smoothing?  

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal

No it actually removed material.   If you use a soft wood it will not.  A soft wood will crush into shape.  But a hard wood actually scrapes bits from the strip.  You can sharpen the scraper edge carefully by filing on an angle.  This helps to remove wood as it scrapes.

Thanks Chuck! The picture seems clear enough. Any recommendation for what woods might work best? I'm expecting this piece to be fairly small for the Sultana probably 1/16" Also best ways to keep the motion straight?

Edited by CharlieZardoz

Build on hold: HM Sultana 1/64th scale

Current Build: 31 ton Doughty revenue cutter as USRC Active 1/64th scale (in progress)

Future Interests: Ballahoo, Diligence, Halifax and beyond...

For small shapes, use escapement files (watchmakers' supplies or eBay). A piece of old hacksaw blade, softened by heating to cherry red and air cooled, makes an excellent and durable scraper.

Light cuts with little pressure to gradually form the moulding are best: heavy cuts will tend to wander.

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thanks, Chuck!

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal

The edge should be sharp enough to act as a scraper. It would be difficult to put an even burr on a tiny profile. If the scraper does get dull, hone the flat sides of it to restore the edges.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Just as Druxey mentioned.   It takes practice but after doing a few it will get easier.   

Chuck