HMS Bounty Launch by mattsayers148 - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale 1:16 - SMALL

Thanks Buck, I just might have to copy your compass.

Just a few quick pics of my Turks head.

post-17116-0-90422500-1420232677_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-42882000-1420232696_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-42366300-1420232721_thumb.jpg

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

So after looking at the oars, something seemed missing.

So this is what I came up with...for now.

post-17116-0-66511200-1420246652_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-71395800-1420246668_thumb.jpg

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Damn !!! Way to make the whole thing just POP !!!

That's a very nice touch, Matt.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Well thanks CaptainSteve.

It's inspiring to see builds like yours, where coconuts become "hairy coconuts" and perfectly made sails look even better with bird poop on them!

After all, it takes a village to make a boat...no wait, that's raise a kid...uh, where are my kids?

Matt

Thanks Ken,

I keep looking at builds like yours, how you take your time selecting a stain until it looks perfect. I had three different pints of stain and mixed them together cuz I didn't feel like going to Home Depot and actually make a selection.

Matt

So for everyone, that bag of metal pieces is made by K&S Precision metals, stock #320. I just checked out the site, all I can say is wow!

So if you go on eBay, search "k&s 320 tube assortment" or "707".

Found the same thing at Amazon for 6.31.  Course you gotta pay shipping too.  Search on brass tubing.

I'm gonna try making that anchor a bit larger using the kit-basher sample.

Edited by Pops

Previous build(mostly) - 18th Century Longboat

Current build - Bounty Launch

Next build - San Francisco by AL

Future build - Red Dragon

Future build - Mayflower from Model Expo

Four down, six to go...

post-17116-0-82294400-1420343614_thumb.jpg

Well I got sidetracked this week. I finally got my son back after 6 years of separation. So we've been catching up while I dink away at my build.

I saw this photo and thought it to be a nice looking compass. I'm not set on the face yet, and might be trying a contact for the lens. Still workin on the oars, they take more attention than conversations will allow. Those assorted metal pieces worked perfect for this application.

Matt

post-17116-0-34704600-1420859932_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-19938500-1420859948_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-51731500-1420859998_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-14541600-1420860037_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-20441400-1420860056_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-44726500-1420860075_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-20936100-1420860093_thumb.jpg

Hi Matt:  Been browsing and happened upon your Bounty here. Very nice! You have a great sense of detail. Love the oars and especially the compass. Nice job! I'll be following this one as well with interest if you don't mind my popping in once-in-a-while.  B)

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks George,

I really appreciate input from everyone. There's so many great ideas flying around in here, it really gets the creative juices flowing! I really enjoy finding photos of period items and giving it a go at replicating them, or at least a fair rendition.

Matt

Your compass is just stunning, Matt ... and I'm not in the least bit surprised your design has taken things up a notch !!

Buck !!
Can you lend Matt your digital compass so he can re-calibrate ???
It appears his true North is off by about 2.5 degrees !!
:cheers:

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

That's pretty amazing, Matt. I am in awe of people who are able to work metal in such small scales. You're not a jeweller by profession, are you? 

And congrats on getting your son back. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Thank you so much Buck, CaptainSteve, Keith and for all who liked my post. I need to build a neck brace to hold my bloated head up!

Keith, thanks for  the congrats.  Turns out my son is quite the thinker and tinker like his old man. I'm going to see if he wants to have a go at one of my models, I have a feeling he might put us all to shame. 

CaptainSteve, thanks. I just bought 4.4 oz(123.2g) lot of steampunk gears, so some new ideas may still lay in waiting, I've been turning my wheels on a way to make a functional dial. 

Buck, thanks to you for directional inspiration for the compass. Its not nearly as finite as yours. I broke a couple of the outer rings, the four holes weakens the ring so one false move and its do over. I had just  bought myself a new dremel and a bit set 61-80, holy crap those bits are tiny. I'm still too stubborn to get a magnification instrument so if I go much smaller I may have to cave in. I was just happy that I was able to make the self-balancing ring functional. Now for a working dial and lens, they're still in the squirrel cage. 

... just bought 4.4 oz(123.2g) lot of steampunk gears ...

... the squirrel cage. 

Matt,

I'd hate to be responsible for doing the squirrels out of a job, but no doubt you are aware that winches would require cogs and ratchets to operate ...

:pirate41:

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Matt,

I'd hate to be responsible for doing the squirrels out of a job, but no doubt you are aware that winches would require cogs and ratchets to operate ...

:pirate41:

Will I ever be able to finish my homework CaptainSteve?

If you do decide about magnifiction, the Optivisor with a Quasar led light kit is pretty nice. This company also makes an Acuvisor,  but the lenses are plastic where the Optivisor's are optical glass. The Optivisor is worth the extra cost for the for the clarity (I started with the Acuvisor). That is cool about your son. Let's get him going on a build log of his own!

post-218-0-51998200-1420919213.jpg

BTW, my swollen head deflated as soon as I saw your compass' brass mounting! I wonder if I could pull that off at 1:25 scale...

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

If you do decide about magnifiction, the Optivisor with a Quasar led light kit is pretty nice. This company also makes an Acuvisor, but the lenses are plastic where the Optivisor's are optical glass. The Optivisor is worth the extra cost for the for the clarity (I started with the Acuvisor). That is cool about your son. Let's get him going on a build log of his own!

attachicon.gifOptivisor.jpg

BTW, my swollen head deflated as soon as I saw your compass' brass mounting! I wonder if I could pull that off at 1:25 scale...

Hey Buck,

Thanks for the info on the magnifiers. I have titanium implants in my ears, what about bionic eyes....eh, the Optivisor is probably much cheaper!

I'm sure with your super-vision 1:25 would definately work. I tried to keep the compass the same size as your 1:16 conversion, and just eye-balled the rest to look even. I was too afraid of seizing the whole thing up by soldering, so I carefully applied thin CA to the tips. Thanks for the compliment, now I'm stuck in my room again!

Matt

So I finally finished the oars...for now. I still need to get some contacts to test on the compass. I've got the masts shaped and trying out some different "aging" ideas.

post-17116-0-66872900-1421032789_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-04290400-1421032828_thumb.jpg

This question goes out to everyone. I've been able to find lots of pics and diagrams of the ratchet and pawl mechanism, I just can't find an image or diagram of its proper placement on a small boat. So if anyone can find info on this can you point me in the right direction?

Thank you all in advance, I know a lot of you may hold the key to my conundrum.

post-17116-0-99704500-1421034645_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-03121900-1421034670_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-32797300-1421034698.jpg

Thank you for your compliment, George.

Now I can start doing other details.

Matt

I've said it before ... I'll say it again ... those oar lashings make the whole thing POP !!!

This question goes out to everyone. I've been able to find lots of pics and diagrams of the ratchet and pawl mechanism, I just can't find an image or diagram of its proper placement on a small boat. So if anyone can find info on this can you point me in the right direction?

At one point, I had planned on adding steam-punk gears to the whale-boats for my Connie (the boats are all that I have completed, so far). I ended up scrapping the idea coz I couldn't find 4 cogs exactly the same which worked.

I'm certain I had a pic that showed the set-up .... but, now that someone actually wants it, do you think I can find it again ??

(For those struggling to answer, the correct response is a resounding "No!!")

From what I recall, the cog wheel was fitted to the ends of the winch at the back of the winch-holder (ie: just in front of the frames). The ratchets were fixed to the thwart-riser either side of the cog wheel.

Without being able to locate (or Google) the pics, the best visual representation would be your last pic, but rotated 90 degrees ...

post-675-0-41046500-1421065410.jpg

Good to see the squirrels are doing well ...

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hey CaptainSteve,

Thank you for your kind words on the oars, and thanks to you and all for the likes.

I had a much similar thought about placement of the ratchet wheel(cog). I'm also waiting for my gears to arrive. My thought was to replace the shaft ends of the windlass fitting both sides with a gear. I assume the four gears would be one up one down per side? I found this diagram that would require only one cog and one ratchet and pawl mechanism per side. However, would something like this be available or in use at that time?

The diagram looks to be used for, possibly, a two man pump action ratchet system. Hence the reciprocating arm. But could this be used in a fixed location?

Matt

post-17116-0-06250600-1421066139.jpg

One detail which just dropped into place was, as I recall, that the tips of the winch itself were grooved to take the ratchet end (pawl ??).

In other words, instead of having a cog wheel attached to the tips of the winch, the final 8" (or so) at each end was machined to BE the cog.

Hard to explain without pics ....

(Maybe you could e-mail your squirrels to me ... I'll let 'em run around my head for a bit and then e-mail them back to you !!)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hey CaptainSteve,

I think I understand that the wood itself was notched to be the gear. It seems though that the wood would be exposed to extreme pressure and, well splinter?

As a side note, I found a bounty launch model at Royal Museums Greenwich that shows davit(crane arm) lifted to an upright position with the tiller attached. I would assume tiller arm would be unshiped when winch was in use.

Matt

post-17116-0-30863400-1421071148_thumb.jpg

I think I understand that the wood itself was notched to be the gear. It seems though that the wood would be exposed to extreme pressure and, well splinter?

What if the whole winch itself was actually metal ??

This would account for the strength issue which led to you making the bands (back on Pg2, I think), as well as the ratcheted ends.

If this were true, I suspect the winch is nothing more than an iron bar (with ratcheted ends). The body would be turned wood then fitted to the internal bar.  

As a side note, I found a bounty launch model at Royal Museums Greenwich that shows davit(crane arm) lifted to an upright position with the tiller attached. I would assume tiller arm would be unshiped when winch was in use.

Matt

You be askin' the wrong person regarding matters of actually sailing experience ... I get seasick when taking a bath !!

:cheers:

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hey CaptainSteve,

That's an excellent solution. I though of cutting off the tips of the windlass and boring it out to fit iron bar with gear located flush to the winch holders, in line with the pawls.

Matt

Well I found some pics of wooden ratchet and pawl assemblies.

post-17116-0-30111200-1421124718_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-34000300-1421124737_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-24266200-1421124752_thumb.jpg