HMS Bounty Launch by mattsayers148 - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale 1:16 - SMALL

Your day ends as mine is just starting CaptainSteve.

Hey David, these are the tools I've based mine after. So as you can see, I've still a way to go. These are made old school(hand wrought), to be used by hand(no power tools).

post-17116-0-17498900-1423835068_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-52941900-1423835106_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-46858400-1423835614_thumb.jpg

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Nighty-night or good morning to y'all. This most recent thread is getting too scatological for family reading. :P

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

O'course, whilst we all employ Captain's choice with our own level of artistic licence (stunning job with the French whippings, Matt), I think you hit the nail on the head here ...

My mind goes to the Amish and their barn building. Felling their own trees and shaping them on the spot to fit. They use tools that are very aggressive to remove and shape timbers fairly quick and accurate. Old school methods where less is more.

Mebbe I should have made less chisels and more cross-cut saws and adzes ...

(PS ... Your last photo above looks like an axe-thrower's Dream collection)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Axe-thrower or axe-murderer?

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Axe-thrower or axe-murderer?

Meh ... that all depends upon my horoscope for the day !!

:dancetl6:  :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Your horoscope or horror-scope?

A thought on the...digestive question. Given how short their rations were, there may not have been much scatological activity. From my reading of other survival account, the digestive system pretty quickly starts saving almost everything from very short rations. After the first week, perhaps, I suspect this wasn't much of a problem. I seem to remember Caroline Alexander's book on the Bounty touching on this as well, but am not certain. And I suspect that between dehydration and low rations, what was coming out also didn't need much cleaning off.

Also, as someone who has built a barn with trees felled & milled on-site, I agree that quick material removal is important. Granted, I used a chainsaw and bandsaw mill, but the principle is the same. It takes a heckuva lot of waste material to create even basic structural shapes out of a tree, and that's not something you do with a chisel. On the other hand, getting those rough shapes to fit together into any kind of watertight structure requires some serious and delicate shaping work. So, you know, you need some of everything. There are specialized tools even for fence-building; such as an axe with a narrow blade for chopping out pre-augered rail holes in posts.

Cathead pretty much has it right on the whole scatological thing ...

As I recall, there was not a single mention of any person onboard the Launch taking leave for #1s OR #2s anywhere throughout Bligh's log. He does mention that a number of men took ill ... including, at one point, Bligh his own self.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

That query i posted was intended as a joke. The colon is the last stop where the body holds waist until the body knows if it has enough fluids. If not it remains in place as the body will squeeze out any and all fluids which is the only useable item at this point. Once properly hydrated, the body will say get out.

Onto the build. I'm at the point of making several metal parts for tools out of brass. Which means blackening. I know that there are many products that do this, but I'd like to know what chemical best suits the very small scale that is used here. So CaptainSteve, what have you found that works best for the modeler? I'm looking for one that is quick, permanent and won't kill my squirrels.

By the way here's a hammer that goes well with my adze:)

post-17116-0-41899200-1423923328.jpg

Edited by matt.s.s.

... CaptainSteve, what have you found that works best for the modeler? I'm looking for one that is quick, permanent and won't kill my squirrels.

So far, Matt, I have mostly used Liver of Sulphur. That was for the mast-clamps and the grapnel. It turned the brass strip a smoky-black colour that was not at all solid. Hence, on the grapnel, I also dry-brushed black and brown paint to darken further.

I also have a half-bottle left of oxidizing patina which was purchased from an arts supply store. That turned the brass an orange/copper colour. The chest clasp and hinges were made from this patina-ed metal.

And just arrived by mail are three bottles of Casey's Brass Black. I am yet to try it out, but have read good reports on this stuff. The main ingredient is called "selenious acid".

Check out the cannons made by such MSW members as Blue Ensign, NMBrook, Jeronimo and many others.

The key to using all of the above seems to be in making certain the metal to be coloured is completely clean and free of oils, dust and dirt.

(By the way, an obscure idea I picked up from Nigel (NMBrook) was to use a wash of heavily diluted Liver of Sulphur to add colouring to deck nails).

FOOTNOTE: Any and all of the above compounds will do serious damage to your squirrels if you drink and/or inhale them. I can personally attest that the LoS doth stinketh unto thee highest heavens !!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Matt has it as well, but just to beat the subject to death, I found the quotes I was thinking of from Caroline Alexander:

(referring to Bligh's men) As the voyage progressed, the men were wracked by a dreadful tenesmus, the ineffectual straining of their unvoided bowels...

(referring to the prisoners on the Pandora) Most of the men had not moved their bowels for the duration of the journey...

I share in the interest of scientific knowledge, and so that neither Steve nor Matt are tempted to add more detail than necessary to their models!

Awe come on Cathead, I wanted to put a Hunnybucket on board!

Thanks for the info CaptainSteve, I'm assuming this should be done before any wood parts are attached?

I share in the interest of scientific knowledge, and so that neither Steve nor Matt are tempted to add more detail than necessary to their models!

I figured that I would stop at bird-poop on me sails ....

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

I'm assuming this should be done before any wood parts are attached?

Neither the patina nor LoS does any noticeable damage to wood. In fact, I have seen other builders soaking metal stropped dead-eyes in blackening agents. And, as mentioned, Nigel washes his decks with the stuff.

Without having tried it, I'm guessing the Brass Black would be the same. After all, it is used to blacken gun-barrels. I'm guessing nobody wants their gun-stocks all chewed up.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Thanks CaptainSteve I'm gonna go get some and hope for the best.

Matt, you can add a hunneybucket, just leave it empty. No Pooh in your hunney.

Sounds fair, CH .... but, then, it wouldn't really be Matt, would it ??

:cheers:

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Well CaptainSteve, I had my hopes up to be able to get the black brass in town. I've always praised Portland for being able to get most anything right now. Gun nuts and gun stores everywhere, and nothin. At least not close. I'm sure I could waste hrs calling and find some, but I setteled on ordering some off eBay. So I'll just keep making tools and blacken them when I receive the bottles.

And don't forget what saved Tom Hanks from that island, yes, a schulzy!

Felt like I didn't accomplish a whole lot this weekend. Aside from the brass black, I finished a few draw knifes, started working on a cherry carpenters clothing chest and some cargo netting. Everything's kinda "part" done.

In my search for brass black, I came across this "weather-it" for raw wood. It definitely seemed to work better than the grey minwax, at least darker faster. The photo doesn't do it justice, and I'm sure with sanding, this is likely something I will use in the future.

post-17116-0-97398600-1424053772_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-43752500-1424053786_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-58947700-1424053801_thumb.jpg

Thank you George. On this model, and on future builds, I made a scaled ruler, well, because I got too lazy to do it in my head. It's helped out a lot on items that I only have a pic for and no dimensions. I try to keep to scale as much as I can and it's helped that so many in this forum have given me pointers on how to do that. Your support and encouragement is greatly appreciated.

I finished a froe and an adze. I also finished one side of my boat with the cargo netting. So, between the two sides, I should be able to store most of my barrels. After all they needed more room to stretch out.

post-17116-0-14528300-1424323597_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-68611000-1424323757_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-15612900-1424323917_thumb.jpg

Nice touch with the barrels in the netting. At least, there'll be more room for the nineteen people.

She's starting to look like a completed boat !!

(More than mine, anyways)

Arrr ...

:cheers:

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

That netting is a nice touch! It looks more like a real working boat now. Did you make it, or buy it? 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Thanks CaptainSteve, Keith and for all the likes.

Hey Keith, I actually made it. I think I mentioned in a post way back that my great-grandma tought me how to do fine thread crochet when I was little. I hadn't done much with it until about 5 years ago(you'd think I'd forget, must be some real old squirrels up there). This was a common size(#100) used in the 19th and early 20th century. If I remember correctly, the numbers reflect the amount of thread that could be placed side-by-side in an inch! The netting it called fillet crochet.

I don't know if you noticed CaptainSteve that my list of future builds is growing(I've won some really good auctions on eBay from MS). I've been itchin to start a new build, but am enjoying this one so much, I feel like I'm about to breakup with a girlfriend(is it two-timing to work 2 build at the same time?) Everything from the supplied model is mostly done, just a few more bash items to go.

So I've set out Corel's Ranger as my next build. When I opened the box, I instantly new the outcome. I'm gonna bash the crap out of this one as part of a pirates booty. This will be a first at a POB. I told Jordan the instructions were in Italian so I minds we'll toss it. His reply was "Isn't that what you always do?" It's mostly true, but I do glance through them a few times. So I've asked the lead squirrel to send a few of the troops ahead to make the necessary preparations for the Ranger.

post-17116-0-47274900-1424346975_thumb.jpg

Matt,

I do not think it is two-timing to be working on a couple of kits at the same time. Kits (unlike females) don't get jealous.

However, I strongly recommend you search out the advice of our DrPer before you go any further down this path. Note, however, that he will not help you - merely tell you that you are not crazy.

Lookin' forward to spectating as you bash your way through your newly acquired stash of kits.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Matt, you're a renaissance man! Or Jeffersonian. Whatever, such talents. The netting is a great idea. :cheers:

Two-timing, nah! Just preplanning. Ranger as pirate sounds interesting. Go for it. But save the instructions for the pictures. There are some translations required, but after the Italian to English translation, you'll also need to translate that into squirrel-speak. :D I'm debating whether to work on the Connie section or the MS Picket Boat. I'm an ACW buff, so the Picket boat may win.

And as the Cap'n suggests, consult with the good Dr Per, too B)

Edited by Canute

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

DrPer?

Yes. DrPer.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Wow - very nice work with the cargo netting - amazing.

Current Build: Willie L. Bennett - Model Shipways

Future Interests:  Friendship Sloop - BlueJacket Ship Crafters

Cape Cod Catboat - BlueJacket Ship Crafters