HMS Bounty Launch by mattsayers148 - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale 1:16 - SMALL

She does look fantastic mounted there Matt. Great job!    If the records are correct, then it would've been crowded, loaded for a lengthy trip. And yes, after a few weeks on the open water in those conditions, I can imagine things did get pretty testy at times, and probably more than once, someone got launched over-board in a fight.  :D

Cheers and Well Done! 

:cheers:  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Matt, excellent workmanship. Keep feeding them squirrels, too.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

So, every since I made my compass, I wasn't a fan of the box it was in.

I came across a few good deals on eBay for hardwood veneers and acquired a large assortment of different woods to play around with. This is what a came up with.

post-17116-0-05052400-1428372310_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-49527700-1428372518_thumb.jpg

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Whoa! That looks excellent Matt! I think you and Buck both went to the same classes for this tiny stuff. I like the star carving and the working lid. Very nice!

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Dang !! That's superb, Matt !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Thank you George, Buck, CaptainSteve, Ken and everyone for the likes and words of encouragement.

Any time I work on tiny little pieces, my admiration goes out to all of the other builders and their many talents.

It took me two different boxes and six lids to get one that was acceptable. I've done many inlays on larger scales, but this small one has proved to be, by far, the most difficult that I've attempted. One time I coughed and blew the little pieces to kingdom come. After that I went with a different method. I taped down a piece of blue tape, sticky side up. It holds really well and doesn't destroy them in the process.

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement and input.

Hey Boyd, thank you. Your build of this Launch's Dad is inspiring to watch.

For my cutlasses, I used a length of brass for the blades with different size brass tubes for the hilt and handle.

post-17116-0-71814400-1428696238_thumb.jpg

I cut a slice in the larger tube and drilled holes through top and bottom of the "C". Then the end of the blade was cut to fit through hilt and handle. Once all pieces were cut and fit, they were soldered. Then just a bunch of grinding, fileing and bending to look like a cutlass. I chose the figure 8 shape for the hilt as it was a distinguishing mark as English made.

post-17116-0-93044900-1428695878_thumb.jpg

After I blackened and let the cutlasses dry I did some final details on the hilt and handle. I very carefully buffed part of the black off to give it a shine. Black thread was then used for the half-hitch whipping for the hand grip. The final step was to carefully blacken only the blade again.(The blades measure at 22 inches, overall length 27 inches)

post-17116-0-37062400-1428696136_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-72064600-1428696154_thumb.jpg

Nice blades, Matt !!

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Boyd, CaptainSteve, Ken, George, Buck, David, thank you guys for your positive words. Coming from an incredible group of craftsmen and bar pushers, it's the bars that you've set that I reach for.

I'm enjoying the last little bits at 1:16 before I steam ahead at 1:64. I've learned a wealth of knowledge from everyone here and learn new things everyday. All hail them squirrels and their brethren!

Edited by matt.s.s.

I think I speak for us all, but I, for one, am looking forward to seeing your final arrangement, Matt !!

(PS: Gotta agree ... I quite liked 1:16 scale) 

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Yup, you're raising the bar so high it's hard to see from down here! Nice work!

Seriously, Buck ??

Not taking anything away from Matt, but surely yours has to be the tallest step-ladder o' the lot of us !!!

:cheers:

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

I assure everyone, microscopic etchings of a sunset, island and palm trees like on Bucks knife handle, will never be on a list of things I think I could do. I couldn't afford the scanning electron microscope that I would need to even work at a scale that small.

I agree with CaptainSteve, Buck's bar is somewhere up there near the moon!

Arrrr ...

That be true, Matt ... you and I, we both need a Sensei, and his name be Buck !!

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

I think we'd all like to get a hold of some of the same squirrels he's using.  :D I wonder what methods he's employed to fend off that evil Beaver Horde.  :o

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

One of the other necessary items is done. I borrowed the idea from CaptainSteve and the entry in the "Kit Bashers Guide" with only minor tweaking. I've been trying to make anything that's metal out of my assorted metal pieces bags.This is only the third item that I've soldered so far and am putting up the CA for metals for good.

post-17116-0-83398600-1428787874_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-50550800-1428787887_thumb.jpg

I'm finding it really difficult to say if I'm done. So I'm in the process of arranging everything and then will decide. Stay tuned, pics will come soon.

Fine looking grapnel Matt!  Reminds me of that movie----"To the last, I will grapnel with thee!"  B) ----or was that "grapple"? :huh:   :D  :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Matt,

Great job on the grapnel hooks....wondering what's next?

Watching you guys and all these details you add to your Launches will double the time I spend on my build....but I'm loving every minute of it  :cheers:

Boyd 

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

After some adjustments, it all fits. I had originally thought about unshipping the stern crane and toss it overboard, but decided it should stay. I was able to stand the body up and secure it to the aft mast so that it is visible, yet out of the way. The windlass can stay in place, as it too, takes up little space.The support arms for the crane and the hand spikes for the windlass tied together and easily slid under the raised aft deck.

post-17116-0-10974100-1428796601_thumb.jpg

With the crane out of the way, the chest, compass, food sacks and tools seem to have plenty of room. The cargo nets were large enough to support almost all of the barrels.

post-17116-0-87497100-1428796686_thumb.jpg

I decided to only hang four oars off each side. This way the two that are left may appeal to those who can't look with their eyes.

post-17116-0-52508900-1428796617_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-77678800-1428796634_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-57457100-1428796649_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-48767200-1428796667_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-20966300-1428796714_thumb.jpg

Truly, a beautiful job, Matt !!

Me hat be off to you and your squirrels !!

Sitting in your boss' office, your Launch will be a conversation-starter for years to come !!

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

She looks perfect Matt.  It's absolutely perfect what you (and the Squirrels of ST1) have done with her. If you were looking for any opinions from the "horde", :rolleyes: the only thing I might think about changing, is the location of the barrels on top of the windlass. Maybe scatter them a bit, making the windlass appear more ready to use. Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing. No matter how you decide to do it, it's fantastic.  Well done sir! Well done. 

Cheers  :cheers:

Edited by GLakie

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif