HMS Bounty Launch by mattsayers148 - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale 1:16 - SMALL

Thanks everyone for the likes. I must take leave since I need to get driveing(I have about a 100 mile commute this morning. Will check back in ASAP.

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Thanks Ken and Gerty,

Yeah, I'm not sure which of them vermin thought of the cargo netting, it came from nowhere and without notice. I've always liked the Pirate way since Goonies. Also my daughter bought me an Xbox game where I'm a pirate captain, breeding fear on the high seas.

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Nice touch with the netting Matt. After all that, those squirrels might need a short vacation, or at least some kind of incentive bonus. Especially the older squirrels.  :D

Cheers  :10_1_10:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks George, either that or tell them to breed more!

Might toss 'em some acorns or whatever nut trees grow around Portland. Here we have hickorys and walnuts. Careful driving.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Oh we got plenty of nuts out here, I speak from experience!

Side note: The movie "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" was filmed at the Oregon State Mental Hospital. It should be of no great surprise, I was born in the hospital right next door to the mental hospital.

Edited by matt.s.s.

I got my Casey's brass black and aluminum black in the mail so I applied to some hand tools. It seemed kinda hazy so I applied Vallejo black and it seem to look better afterward. I think I need to clean more next time.

post-17116-0-53147800-1424492223_thumb.jpg

Well thank you George. I had them filed the way I wanted them first. Then after blackening I used an exacto blade to scrape the paint on the filed areas.

Ah! Thanks. I couldn't help but notice in your signature you have The Squirrel Whisperer down. Cool! We've all heard about "Puppy Mills". Maybe you should start up a "Squirrel Mill" for all of us that will be needing assistance with intricate details and such.  :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

That would be awesome, drip some h2o on them and they may multiply like gremlins.

... Just don't feed them after midnight !!!

Great looking set of tools you've done there, O Squirrel Whisperer. I was gunna say something about the sharpened look, but George covered that.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Squirrel Whisperer, outstanding look for those tools! I'll have to pop over to my local gun shop and "git me sum". And which black paint? I have some Floquil Weathered Black, but that will get used up or dried out one of these days. You continue to amaze me, every time I open your log. Well Done!

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Thank you CaptainSteve, Ken and to everyone for the likes.

The paint is Vallejo's color black. MS has been shipping a free sample with a model purchase. Of all the paints I've used before, this is, in my opinion, the best I've used. One coat has excellent coverage and mat finish that is deeper than previous paints. This was the same color I used on my windlass, does imitate iron very well.

Side note: I exclusively use my iPhone in this forum. I noticed that a lot of people have notations above their avatar. Can this be done with my phone or is it only available from a computer?

Squirrel Whisperer

Thanks for the info George

So I must confess...I've been having wandering eyes. She's a dainty little shiela!

post-17116-0-24898300-1424561664_thumb.jpg

Go Speed Racer Go!  Wait a minute, better start a new log, Matey! :dancetl6:

I do like cutters, though. Sleekness. ;)

Better get an Italian English dictionary, while you're at it. Although, in looking at the Mamoli instructions for my Connie section, you may just stick with the drawings. :pirate41:

Ken

Hey! I have a Ranger on the shelf too. I don't think you need to see Dr. Per yet though with just 7 kits on the shelf. I think it makes sense to collect them if you come across a crazy bargain on a kit you really want and that you would pay much more for later at regular pricing, or if an out of production kit pops up at a low price since you may not come across another. At least this is what I tell myself. :)

BTW, the tools look great!

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Buck, I know of what you speak. I want to start selling off my slew of plastic ships. I don't see me building any of them. Makes room for "others", like a Syren or Granado. Or getting some new tool goodie, like a lathe or thickness sander. Ah, well, I can dream... :rolleyes:

Ken

Wow! I hope those squirrels aren't mind-readers. They might band together and go on strike. Or worse yet, start a revolt.  :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

It's just a teaser right now, not yet a full blown affair Ken. I stress "yet".

Thanks Buck. It was only after I made these did I look back in your build log and saw how you had done your axe, well done! I ended up using short pieces of metal tubing, smash somewhat with space to slide the handles in. Then I "crimped" the metal the rest of the way, CA'd it and then shaped with files.

George, I think I'd cry if them little suckers took off on me

Soon I may have to start throwing my clothes out to make more shelf space.

At least you've got your priorities straight !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Finally finished the port quarter cargo net. Looks a bit more balanced.

post-17116-0-31898800-1424745171_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-73796300-1424746148_thumb.jpg

Some more amazing work Matt! What exactly is that kind of threading called----needle-point---crochet? Must have taken those squirrels some time to learn that. Squirrel College or something.  :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Thank you George. This is fine thread crochet and the pattern style is called fillet. This style is often used to make pictures from a grid pattern. Open squares, like this netting, and closed squares, where you fill in with stitches. I have a project that I've worked on and off for awhile now. It's about 24in x 24in and so far I've got over 1500yds in it and I'm not even half done! These are examples off the web.

I plan on making rope work this way as much as I can.

post-17116-0-61852800-1424750159_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-02554500-1424750490_thumb.jpg

Matt, I know it is off topic but I would love to see your 24" by 24" crochet work. My jaw dropped when you first posted a picture of your netting some days back. Not only is it beautiful work, but it looks so RIGHT on your boat. It is functional and totally looks as if Bligh would have had to use something like that to keep his extra provisions. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Thanks Keith, the "Sayers" is me and the "Knorr" was my great grandmother's. I'm making this to go on top of a cedar chest I built my mother for storing all of my great grandmother's work.

This really isn't too far off topic though. She immigrated from Hungary in 1917 on a ship much like the titanic. A lot of families were very poor and made needle work for money. I would be willing to bet that there were many women on these ships that did this work on their voyage, possibly selling some to the wealthy on board.

post-17116-0-21607400-1424754154_thumb.jpg

Matt, my Italian Gramma did that kind of beautiful work. I have 2 pieces for putting under lamps, inherited from my Mom. Sis got all the rest of the handiwork. That is some beautiful work! :10_1_10:

And as Keith says, it makes a lot of sense that Captain Bligh would carry the barricoes that way. They keep liquids in, so they can also keep salt water out. I work with a lady who crochets. Maybe I can talk her into doing something like this. :rolleyes:

Ken