HMS Bounty Launch by mattsayers148 - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale 1:16 - SMALL

You and your squirrels are a very talented bunch, Matt !!

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Thanks for all the likes everyone.

Thank you CaptainSteve, you are much too kind. I am merely a parrot, copying and building upon successes and failures of everyone before me.

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Thank you Igor, when I get off work today I'm definitely going to read through your build log! I've only done one ship-in-a-bottle years back so I know how incredibly difficult they are!

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Thanks Igor, you should check out post #102 in CaptainSteve's : The Kit Bashers Guide to the Galaxy, I put something there for ship in a bottle ideas.

Thanks Matt,

But I can't find this post :(

Best Regards!

Igor.

I think it be this one.

(But feel free to start with Keith's link above ... that's the beginning)

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Thanks for link, Matt!

Sometimes I place in a bottle the casing of the ship without masts. And only then I set masts. In these cases I use the small metal dowel or simply small dimple in the deck.

Best Regards!

Igor.

Edited by IgorSky

• 1 month later...

For all who thought my squirrels and I had left our Launch behind, we're still here. My last trip to the Coast was for work, but I was still able to steal a few hrs away to go to the beach.

post-17116-0-99537800-1427944001_thumb.jpg

I found several sand dollars....

post-17116-0-13854900-1427944053_thumb.jpg

Several crab backs...

post-17116-0-13662400-1427944073_thumb.jpg

And some driftwood. I figured I could use these some how for the base of my launch.post-17116-0-35993500-1427944125_thumb.jpg

So this is the configuration that I came up with. The metal fasteners need to be covered, and a finish needs to be applied, but these will be done after I decide placement and attachment of said Launch.

Stay tuned through the weekend as I hope to have this done by weekends end.

post-17116-0-92220500-1427944160_thumb.jpg

Glad to see you're back on the launch Matt. Probably should leave a couple of guys back from ST 1 to stand guard over the Ranger. Those evil Beavers are just waiting for an opportunity to strike!  :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

It's crazy! I checked on them squirrels today and there's more of them than yesterday! I'm pretty sure they're forming a colony, strength in numbers against them filth rotten Beavers!

The final finish has been applied to the Launch pad. I used small sections of brass tubing to cover the threaded rod and treated them with Casey's brass black.

post-17116-0-50840100-1428150404_thumb.jpg

While the Launch pad was drying, various pieces of brass pieces were chosen for the mounting brackets. Holes were drilled through the keel to accept brass rod and mounting screws. Then mounting brackets were removed and treated with Casey's brass black as well.

Today's list of to-dos is to bore out holes in launch pad for brackets to go into and mount the Launch.

I decided to remove all the rigging so that thorough scrubbing could be done. Once the launch is mounted, the mast, sails and rigging will be done. Stay tuned...

post-17116-0-20349400-1428150393_thumb.jpg

Hi Matt,

Simply wonderful build.

Thanks for documenting all the details....invaluable to new builders like myself.

The tools, barrels, netting....all great stuff, I've been searching for creative ways to fill the lower decks of my Bounty build :) 

FYI - we have several generations of squirrels living in our backyard.....and I just found out they love cucumber (wiped out part of my garden). 

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

Thanks Boyd, George an everyone for the likes.

The squirrels are giving me very little heads-up on what's happening. I too am looking forward to seeing what's gonna happen next!

Here is the Launch on the pad, now I have to put it back together.

post-17116-0-76673400-1428166791_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-06090100-1428166778_thumb.jpg

Arrr !!! Now THAT be a thing o' beauty !!!

A fine job, Matt. Break out an extra rum-ration for the Brothers tonight.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Thank you George, CaptainSteve, Tom and everyone for the likes. Wow guys you're makin me top heavy with this bulbous head that's growing!

I think I've figured out where all my extra squirrels are coming from. All of our clans must be goin out on the town when we're all asleep and breeding! Not just the average squirrel, but some sort of mutant ninja squirrels!

I know what you mean Matt! I think this breeding mutant ninja squirrels has turned into a nation-wide conspiracy, because I spotted this one in my back yard this morning.post-12186-0-48405600-1428180046_thumb.jpg

Next thing we know, they'll be breeding with the ninja turtles forming mutant ninja squirtles!post-12186-0-17280200-1428180073_thumb.jpg

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Given the incentive of a long overdue day off, the squirrels busted out the rigging in record time! "Double rations of rum my brethren, for two days," Harry shouted, "Oorah!" Although they completely rebuilt the Launch and placed some items aboard, I've been assured that it's still not complete.

post-17116-0-52232700-1428201446_thumb.jpg

The cargo netting seemed to be a solution to overcrowding. However, once all items were put on board, there still is a significant lack of space.

post-17116-0-70784700-1428201417_thumb.jpg

So I began making mental notes to give to the squirrels. Hopefully after a day or two, they'll get some idea for a solution.

Well they did a wonderful job of getting her back together Matt, and I'm sure the squirrels will come up with a solution after a couple mugs of grog. They're very clever that way.

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Looking super great  Matt. 

BTW, I thought you might be interested in this:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1295-nso-model-shipwrights-in-portland-or/  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Words fail me, Matt !!!

(As anyone who has read my log will know, THAT takes a lot !!)

Honestly, she looks beautiful !!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hey George, the windlass takes up very little space. The stern(anchor) crane and stabilizer arms could be unshipped and displayed on the stand. All the extra barrels are already taken care of. Even with the know items on board, for the life of me, I can't imagine what a miserable mess it was on board! It's surprising they didn't kill half the crew just for some leg room!

Hey Mark, thank you for the info for the folks here in Portland. One of my Grandmas favorite things to do was to go on day trips on a sternwheeler. I must have gone with her at least a half a dozen times with her on the Willamette R, Columbia R, and Yaquina Bay. Fun times. I'll have to get in touch with these locals and see what they're up to.

Hey CaptainSteve, I'm considering lashing all of the oars together to make a raft-in-tow. The squirrels got a good one to figure out now.