HMS Victory by Dominic - Constructo - 1/96

Hi Dominic

Last time we talked your kit was still awaiting delivery, cannot believe the price, you were given it. looking great by the way, love the captains quarters detail. I spend so much time building and adding my own pictures I confess to not routing about other builds very often. Airbrushpiracy led me to your site as we talk frequently and your name twigged the grey matter when he talked to you. I will be popping back to see your work.  

I am the same Paul I don't often comment on others...usually it's all been said the time I get there. I'd be interested in how you ended up measuring the gunports...I can't even begin properly as there is very little in the way of a clear point of reference on the plans.

The entire thing is on hiatus at the moment lest I get annoyed and it incurs my wrath lol

------------------------------------

Regards,

Dominic

Current Build: HMAV Bounty by Caldercraft 1:64

Hiya Keith. No she is an ongoing partwork. I have about 12 or so issues stocked up so will be resuming work on her soon...getting to the nitty gritty time consuming stuff on her...when I left her I was in the process of blackening and making some chains.

Regards,

Dominic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dominic, I'm getting near the planking stage  of the Victory which I must admit looks to be a daunting task. In a nutshell is it best to first soak the ends of the plank, then bend, ( I have the pliers type  plank bending tool ), and then pin it to the frame and allow to dry. When dry remove plank, glue and repin back in place, is this the best way of doing it ?. Like yourself I intend to paint the ship, would it be useful as each plank is glued to the hull to mark with a pencil  where the frame's are, would this help me later when cutting out the gun turrets to miss them. With regards to the painting, I have purchased the Admiralty paint kit but have no idea when, with what colour and what parts to paint. Perhaps I can bug you a bit later with regards to this when I have completed the planking, which will be a long way off yet. One last thing, I have glued the rear upper deck in place and when the mast is pushed through the two holes it's at a slight angle. Looking at the plans this seems to be how it looks, leaning slightly rearwards, is this ok or should they be upright. I knew I should have started with a canoe but so far so good, a few mistakes but it's coming along ok. I know your build is on hold at the moment but thanks for your time and pictures posted so far, they really help people new to the game like me, regards Dolly.

Hi Dominic, I'm getting near the planking stage  of the Victory which I must admit looks to be a daunting task. In a nutshell is it best to first soak the ends of the plank, then bend, ( I have the pliers type  plank bending tool ), and then pin it to the frame and allow to dry. When dry remove plank, glue and repin back in place, is this the best way of doing it ?. Like yourself I intend to paint the ship, would it be useful as each plank is glued to the hull to mark with a pencil  where the frame's are, would this help me later when cutting out the gun turrets to miss them. With regards to the painting, I have purchased the Admiralty paint kit but have no idea when, with what colour and what parts to paint. Perhaps I can bug you a bit later with regards to this when I have completed the planking, which will be a long way off yet. One last thing, I have glued the rear upper deck in place and when the mast is pushed through the two holes it's at a slight angle. Looking at the plans this seems to be how it looks, leaning slightly rearwards, is this ok or should they be upright. I knew I should have started with a canoe but so far so good, a few mistakes but it's coming along ok. I know your build is on hold at the moment but thanks for your time and pictures posted so far, they really help people new to the game like me, regards Dolly.

Another one to check out Dolly is here http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/6684-hms-victory-by-paul-bell-constru, this one will be getting left natural, just varnished, also further great information.

Current Build HMS Racehorse 

How's bending that Sapele on your hull planking? I found it diffcult and prone to splitting on my USS Constitution by Constructo

There is a colour chart for the Victory at the end of this document http://www.billingboats.com/instructions/Modeling%20Hints%20EN.pdf which cross references to the diagram at the end of this document http://www.billingboats.com/instructions/BB498%20HMS%20Victory_Instruction.pdf Same ship, different kit but the colours are the same :)

Cheers,

Philip

Hiya Dolly. Sorry not replied before now.

Yes, I soak the planks fully, bend as needed using Amati's plier-type bender, pin and allow to dry, then remove, glue, repin and allow to dry.

Yes the masts will have a slight backward tilt on most ships, known as the "rake". As Paul said it helps counter the force placed upon the masts by the sails in the wind.

Hipexec, I've had no problem with the Sapele, I let soak for at least a few hours first before attempting to shape. I've had no issues so far with it.

I hope to be resuming work on this soon, thanks to Paul with his advice on the gunports. I shouldn't really be cutting them out at this stage as I have only planked down to just below the waterline, however knowing the issues with the ribs on this I want to get it done now while I can still access the inner hull.

Regards,

Dominic

• 3 months later...

I've not forgotten or abandoned this one.

I took a break from modelling for a few months and then when I came back to it had the opportunity to buy CC's 1:72 version so currently working on that one.

Regards,

Dominic