Bluenose by PopJack - Model Shipways - 1:64

Starting on the Bluenose.  There are several Bluenose logs around, and I considered not doing a log.    However I find myself agreeing 100% with bhermann when he wrote in his log:

There are three main goals in doing a build log for me.  1) it helps keep me motivated from time to time when the doldrums strike.  2) It is a great place to bounce ideas off people and get some great advice.  I may not always go that way, but I consider everything very carefully even when I don't follow it.  3) It is my hope that sharing my issues and pitfalls may help someone else along the way.  So here goes:  Bluenose log 2.0

I couldn't have said it better, so I didn't try.

I notice also that most of the logs are pre-crash and have little about the front end, so perhaps this will be helpful to someone.

I have constructed two model ships from kits.  The Mare Nostrum, by AL and the 1980's version of the Swift, also by AL.  Opening the box, one can immediately see the differences.  It took me 1 1/2 hours to do a complete inventory, admittedly bundling the "sticks" and labeling the bundles to save me time later.

I have considered buying the practicum offered by Bob Hunt, but have not done so.  If I get in trouble, or feel like I want to add detail, I may very well do that.  I have heard is stuff is worth the investment, but money is always an issue.  Just waiting to see what happens.

The first thing I notice is that the wood parts are thicker and heavier than the AL kits.  Of course, this is a much larger build, so the comparison could be unfair.  The instructions appear good, but I have to admit I get lost sometimes.  We'll see if they make more sense as I go.

After separating the hull pieces from the board, I transferred the rabbit and bearding line, along with reference lines, to the keel.  This is NOT a trivial task (for me anyway).  I ended up going to a store and making 100% size copies of parts of the plans which I then cut out with scissors and used carbon paper to transfer.  This process actually took me about four hours.  I'm not sure why I had so much trouble, but if these lines are not absolutely correct, the hull will be malformed, so I took a lot of time with them.

I will be gluing the keel together today and calling it a weekend.

This thing may take a while.

Hello there

The bluenose is a very fine ship,looking forward to se your progress.

Børge

Current build(restore, bashing)
BB582 "Dragen" Scale 1:12

On hold: BB534 Bolougne Etaples Scale 1:20

Not started: Model Shipways MS2040 USS Constitution 1:76

:piratebo5: 

Calling it a weekend.  Starting the Bluenose was a difficult choice for me.  She is a beautiful ship, but I have another kit waiting that keeps calling as well.  I would like to do two at once- but there are few hours I can work on a ship.

post-2255-0-31157800-1376260406_thumb.jpg

I think you're supposed to have an "open box" photo.  :)

post-2255-0-92856900-1376260389_thumb.jpg

As mentioned, I made photo copies of the plans at 100% and used carbon paper to transfer the lines.  Here is that in process.

post-2255-0-96007700-1376260387_thumb.jpg

I got the keel cleaned up and glued up.  Itis hidden under all the objects being used as beanbag weights.  I also got all of the bulkheads out.  I broke one of the extensions which I glued back on.

post-2255-0-53453200-1376260402_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to this build.  Should be a lot of fun.

For all my friends in Canada, the UK and other parts of the civilized world, gosh I miss metric.  Everything in the kit is in fractional inches- so I'm always trying to figure out, Okay, if this piece is 7/32's and I need to go 1/32 bigger, that would be 8/32's but... but that's 4/16s and that's 2/8's and that's 1/4 inch!

I do have a caliper that read in fractional inches- which is helpful, but you still have to go through the above exercise all the time.

Funny, I clearly remember trying to convince my Mom when I was a kid that Metric would be better and loosing the argument with her.  She threatened to just "throw away" all her recipies that weren't metric- starting with her Lasagna and Dutch Chocolate cake!  I relented.

PopJack, I'll be following along mate, and interested. My Model Shipways Bluenose currently resides with my son in Denver, Colorado and I'm in Turkey. He might bring it this way later in the year if the US authorities finally get round to issuing him his green card or I might get to the States and bring it back with me. We'll see. 

Anyway, I'll be watching your build just as I watch a few others; I may not post a lot on the build logs but I watch with interest many of them. Yours is now on the list. I need you to sort every little problem out for me. OK? I may have more available time than you so you never know, I may even catch you up but for UPS to ship it to Turkey is $300 so it won't be travelling that way. So, I'm not sure when it'll be started, even less sure when it'll be finished.  

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.

Worked on her a bit last night.  Several observations that contribute to sorting out every one of Yambo's "little problems."

First, the joints for the keel pieces are terrible.  When everything is lined up and the glue has set there is so little contact area that the Keel remains unstable.  It is obvious that you need to glue scabs across the joint, but in doing so the hull becomes unstable for the holding and cutting that will be required for the rabbit.  So solve this I have glued in scabs, but only from wood where I have enough to make a complete support system during the cutting of the rabbit.  In other words, I won't use scraps or small pieces.

I was also surprised at how badly the slots in and for the bulkheads are made.  This isn't a big deal, it only took an hour with a file to fix everything, but still- I mean these are laser cut... wouldn't be just as easy to cut them right?  Don't know.

I am really nervous about cutting the rabbit.  It will be first time for me to do something like this.  I'm thinking I'll pt tape on the blade of my knife to mark the depth. 

Hey what could go wrong?

Good luck PopJack

I am also working of the Bluenose its a beautiful schooner. I did the bounty launch a couple of years ago and found that most everything was was laser cut and just needed sanding and put together (well not really that easy). When I opened the bluenose box I found out that there aren't many parts that are laser cut (at last a challenge lol). I have spent almost 2 years on this build working a little bit at a time, She sits here in my family room so she calls to me everyday ( I work on her when I have the time). The rabbit gave me many sleepless nights trying to figure out how I would proceed trying to find the best way to do it and looking at about every build log on the site to get tips. Finally I transferred the lines with carbon paper and went at it. It was not as bad as I thought. Its funny how you can read the manual and look at the plans and always find something that you overlooked. I am just starting to do the deck planking and trying to figure out if I want to plank the quarter deck with the taper or straight like the foredeck. I have also started on the cabin and hey no laser cut pieces just wood and figuring out how to do it. Its a good thing I doent have much hair left but its also a great sense of accomplishment seeing something that you built from nothing. I wish you the best of luck with your bluenose and will be following your progress. The people on here are great and very helpful.

:dancetl6:

Brad

I am really nervous about cutting the rabbit.  It will be first time for me to do something like this.  I'm thinking I'll pt tape on the blade of my knife to mark the depth. 

Hey what could go wrong?

PopJack -

I recall looking at the rabbet for about a month before getting the nerve to actually cut into the wood.  Doing the cut was much easier than all the thinking about it.  Remember - it is wood and can be replaced if necessary (although I'm sure you will do just fine).  I like the idea of tape on the blade to mark the depth of the cut - wish I'd thought of that!

About the Hunt practicum - I did buy it and found it very useful for getting started and for planking the deck and hull.  For steps after that it was much less useful.  It does not add any detail to the basic instructions and shows only simplified ways of doing things.  I believe it interprets the plans poorly when it comes to the color scheme of the upper hull, rails and deck fittings.   If you are comfortable with planking, it probably isn't worth the money to buy it for the later stages.

Take your time now in getting the bones of the ship together.  Getting a solid foundation in place will make the later stages go that much smoother.  I agree about the fit of the laser cut pieces - Bluenose is my first experience with them, and I thought they would just fit without the need for checking!

Enjoy - I will be following along.

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

As Luke and Yoda stand studying the rabbit joint, a wet fog clings to their robes and Luke's razor knife shaped light saber hangs at his side, buzzing quietly,

Luke: "I am not afraid."

Yoda: "You should be."

Yes, I started on the joint.  The tape helps a lot.  I marked the blade at a comfortable angle for me.  Not enough progress to comment on yet.

Bob and Brad, thanks for your comments and encouragement. 

I bought the Bluenose kit back in Novemeber of last year and it is (for the most part) complete as of a couple of weeks ago.  I'll have to admit that I cut a couple of corners.  Well, okay, more than a couple using colored paper for some of the bands instead of metal and simplified turnbuckles, etc.  All in all I really enjoyed the kit and it went pretty smoothly for my first ever wooden ship.  I had a log going on the old forum but never restarted it when the new one came into being.  Once I decide what my next build will be I will probably start up a log for it.  At any rate, I hope you enjoy the build of the Bluenose.  It's really a lot of fun.

Rob

I believe in posting every mistake I make IF I think other people will learn.  Here is one.

When cutting the rabbit, the instructions suggest that you can cut the rear rabbit either before or after you glue on the stem post.  For some reason I thought it would be better to cut it before I put the stem post on.  I left "tabs" of original wood to use for judging depth.

This was not a good idea.  When everything was done, despite my "tabs" I cut this way too deep.  I have now glued the stem post on and will take some thin wood slats and rebuild the wood I cut away before proceeding.

So, I strongly suggest you glue the stem post on before working on the rabbit.

post-2255-0-11655600-1376620891_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the Bluenose community. I did not have much trouble with the laser cut bulkheads but this is my first build and I didn't know any better. ^_^
The other reason may be that I stiffened each bulkhead with diagonal braces as I installed them. I read that they can come loose when fairing the hull so I was concerned about overall stiffness for sanding and planking. Also had some 1/8 x 3/8 basswood left from an earlier glider build. The hull turned out rock solid.

post-993-0-72963800-1376696298_thumb.jpg

I agree with Bob regarding Bob Hunt's practicum. They are very expensive unless you buy the whole set. Bob's practicum differs from the kit in build sequence, though I cannot answer if it is that much better. He does give good advice about thinking ahead in the build. I also set it aside once the hull was complete. I some great guidance and ideas in this forum (check out Bob's metal work, he inspired me!).

When cutting the rabbet, I recommend lightly gluing a piece of scrap instead of the stern post to the keel to prevent damaging the part.

Brad, tapering the quarter deck planks was a learning experience resulting in many broken sticks. However, it is well worth the effort and good practice to boot.

Do enjoy and keep posting!

Dave B

Current build: HMS Pegasus, English Pinnace (on hold)

Completed build: MS BluenoseSkippercraft

good that your doing a log on this build Popjack.   I'd like to do a larger scale of this ship in the future,  and a head's up on thing would be a great help.  you'll do well on this build........more than enough folks to lend a hand,  if the need arrises ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

A little progress update.

1) The Rabbit is cut.  I tried to use a standard wood chisel.  Although I know how to sharpen one razor sharp (seriously, you can shave with my chisel when its sharp), I found the bevel angle of the blade too steep to make smooth cuts.  I bought a palm chisel with a much narrower blade and with it the rabbit was really no trouble.

2) I have tapered the bulkheads in the fashion of a "pre-faring" I guess.  It was suggested to do this with a knife, but I'm not that good.  I used a 1" bench mounted belt sander and just carefully shaped the things.

3) I started on trimming the bulkhead supports to 1/8 inch.  I am BAD at this and have really cocked them up good.  So far I've broken two that are glued back together.  I have learned that cutting a stop cut flush with the deck mounting surface and then cutting toward it with a razor knife seems to work best.

This ship is taking a lot more preliminary work than the boats I had been working on.  I'm glad I started small, as I have some understanding of what I'm shooting for.

Edited by PopJack

I have been doing some writing as of late and so the build has suffered. 

That said, the bulkheads glued in along with some bracing to eliminate the "banana boat" shape.  I'm having a lot of trouble understanding the drawing of the stern blocks.  If anyone happens to have a good photo of the stern before planking, I'd appreciate a glance at it.

Dave B's photo above is helpful, but one from the stern would be a real benefit to me.

Did a bit of work on her this weekend- just a few hours.  The frames have been braced and glued, mast holes reinforced and the stern blocks and timbers glued in.

The stern block was a bit for a challenge for me both from the perspective of trying to make sure that symmetry was maintained as well as trying to understand exactly what was needed.  The photos were taken before final sanding.

I'm not sure its right, but I have faith in my ability to make it fit when the time comes.

I seem to be overly critical of this kit.  This is a habit I have to break. 

A few photos:
post-2255-0-19421700-1377484940_thumb.jpgpost-2255-0-97242000-1377484918_thumb.jpgpost-2255-0-73940200-1377484930_thumb.jpg

Your sterm blocks look good. Just make sure they fair well with the planking strips. You'll have a opportunity to shape the tramsom as there is more to build up later. I'm sorry I don't have any pictures to illlustrate. Just remember, if you sand off too much you can laways build it back in. Microballoons and epoxy work well, I know because I had to use some.

Dave B

Current build: HMS Pegasus, English Pinnace (on hold)

Completed build: MS BluenoseSkippercraft

Great to see another Bluenose. I think we are all too critical of ourselves. You are doing Great. I will do some digging and see what I have of early photos to share with you.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Hello! My name is Jake and I am new here. I am also doing building this ship and this is my first build. I just glued on my stern block and am shaping them now. I'm confused about the tumblehome piece that is supposed to be carved to the fake stanchion in the next step. The instructions don't say much and neither do the plans.

Jake

Thanks for the comments.

Jake: I feel your pain. ;)  In preview, I found that part of the instructions confusing as well.  I will be working on her sometime this weekend.  I will post whatever I come up with, but one option I was considering was skipping what I could safely skip until more of that portion of the shop was complete.  That way I might understand better where it was headed.  I'll let you know.

Floyd has also suggested he might have some photos of the early stages which would be helpful.

Well I did some digging into the vast unknown - here you go!

post-1088-0-93305300-1377784014_thumb.jpg

post-1088-0-64499900-1377784051_thumb.jpg

post-1088-0-22848100-1377784082_thumb.jpg

post-1088-0-92086700-1377784247_thumb.jpg

Edited by Floyd Kershner

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

Thank you for the photos.

Someone once told me, sometimes you just have to get up and walk away.  This ship is extremely frustrating to me. 

I ran into another case tonight where the laser cut plywood isn't nearly the right size and doesn't match the plans.  It is going to very difficult to shape.  When I try to shape it, the plywood de-laminates and breaks apart.  (Layers of the plywood are not glued together well).  I don't know if this is typical of model style plywood or not.

So,  I'm going to get up, gripe on the computer for a while, have a glass or two of wine and forget about it for a day or two.

Step 1: Move away from the model.  CHECK

Step 2: Gripe on the computer.  CHECK

Step 3: Have a glass of wine.  WORKING.

Step 4: Forget about it for a day or two.  PENDING

I'm actually considering boxing this one up and going to another model...but I'm not quite there yet.

Edited by PopJack

I think you have the right Idea. I have a rule with myself. If I get frustrated twice in a row its time for a break. Get a new perspective. But don't give up. Like you when I first started I held myself to very high standards. I also had no one to talk to or compare notes. This is the reason that my first 3 models became ashes. But then I first met other modelers where I lived. and then I found forums like this one. The difference is HUGE. I also must confess that as long as I know there is a solution I like the challenge and I really smile at the result. No one is going to tell you it is not hard. It is hard! but it gets better and you have something unique that you built.

Besides you have the added benefit of a good reason to buy unique tools! :P

I was going to say I didn't run across this in the early stages of the Bluenose build.  Then I looked at the billets all the laser cut pieces came out of - and none of them are ply in my kit, so I just don't have any history to go on.  *shrugs shoulders*

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

in some cases......yes.   laser cutting is a bad thing when it comes to plywood.  it heats up the layers and weakens the glues.  it can be glued back together though,  so don't quit due to that.  I've had a few incidents....by now,  this is a small problem to me.

the stern transom......is it anything like the AmericA?   look in my build log.....I should have plenty of pictures of the stern.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

One more comment - When I did this kit it was my first successful POB. I swear MS didn't make a dime off of me. I replaced every part at least once. If you have delamination problems I would ask for a replacement of the part.