Bluenose by PopJack - Model Shipways - 1:64

Jack:

I strongly suggest you practice soldering whenever you can. Even if it is just to make a few odds and ends, practice makes perfect (or in my case something nearly acceptable). In any case, practice will help hone your skills. That is how I managed to get this far. There is always something new to learn. :)

The low temp solder used in soft soldering is fine for some things, but I learned the hard way that if anything is going to be under pressure, hard soldering is better. Soft soldering is like gluing two pieces together while hard soldering is like welding. Soft solder will fill gaps and hard solder will not. Hard soldering demands that the pieces be touching. However, hard soldering will make two pieces into one which soft soldering will not do. Once I began hard soldering, I have never used any other kind of solder.

Russ

I will use both depending on the need.  For much of my Latham like structural parts I use hard solder  for items that were for looks or will not be taking any strain I would use oft solder. 

David B

Well, I nearly finished the main mast.   The plans indicate the hardware was either painted white or galvanized.  I opted for galvanized on the masts various other topside items.  I'm following a theory here that on the ships I have seen the hardware was not specially painted to show.  Rather, if painted it was painted the same color (and probably same paint) as surrounding areas.

For the top of the main top mast, I decided against trying to make a brass strip look right, so I just twisted some wire and soldered it up. 

For the area of abrasion around the boom rest I used the dull side of aluminum foil.

The last thing to do is the spring wire loop and the small ring.  Then on to the foremast where I suppose most things will be done the same.

post-2255-0-35473300-1393636137_thumb.jpgpost-2255-0-01694100-1393636141_thumb.jpgpost-2255-0-08524000-1393636144_thumb.jpgpost-2255-0-86165500-1393636142_thumb.jpg

Edited by PopJack

Regarding the painting of metal work, if it does not move, paint it. :)

Now, on the cap, what about it puzzles you? Its construction? How it works?

Russ

Basically that is the the cap I made.  If you check out Chapelle, he describes that cap very well.

David B

Howard I. Chapelle wrote a book called The American Fishing Schooners 1825-1935 and he included his field notes from his research on Gloucester built fishing schooners like this one.

Russ

I just got that book from my local library. Yours may have it as well. Or if you need me to look something up for you, let me know.

Tim

Tim

"That's a fine looking pair of oars you got there, Sir"

" 'em aint 'ores --- that's me wife and me daughter! "
  :o

Current build:   Glad Tidings Pinky Schooner

Past builds:  1:1  Stick-Up Sharpie Build

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack by Timo4352 - Midwest Products - SMALL - First time builder

Gunning Dory sail & oar boat 1:1
Future Build:   Scratch built Mower Dory  -  scale undetermined yet             

another future build:   Martha - Chesapeake draketail    

coming along quite well Popjack.......looking sweet!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nice metalwork on the mast.  Hope mine will look as good.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

One of the things I found out was there is a lot of metalwork on these vessels.  At the original scale they are easy to replicate with a little preactice. And if done right really accents the beauty of the model.

David B

The bands for the foremast are now complete and are in the process of drying.  The top band was the only tough one.   Now on to the spars.

post-2255-0-10902600-1393990515_thumb.jpg

I've been working on and off to find the size of the hoops that capture the deadeyes.  Center to center of the holes is 1.2 cm in case anyone needs to know - for the larger dead eyes.  Don't know about the smaller ones yet.

post-2255-0-44227800-1393990509.jpg

I hate to paint the deadeyes, as I think they are pretty in contrast to the black bands.  Oh well.  On all the ships I have visited in my MANY MANY minutes of travel, they are all painted.

EDIT: Changed 12 cm to 1.2 cm.  Americans aren't that good with the meteric system!

Edited by PopJack

I installed the chain plates for the front starboard shrouds today.  I used a rope from the temporarily placed mast to get the angles like I think they ought to me.  The angle of the shot plus the curvature of the ship hull makes it look funny, but its actually pretty close.

Note three things:

1) The small deadeye isn't in place yet, although the slot is bored for it.

2) I'm not sure how I would go about trying to set the chainplates flush with the hull.  I'm not going to try, I think this will make a nice model.

3) I SWEAR it doesn't look as bad in person as it does in this photo- although I have a lot of cleaning an touch up to do.  The brass and the deadeyes will be painted black.

post-2255-0-99339500-1394414832_thumb.jpg

I also calculated and then built a jig for the wire that goes around the small deadeyes.  The distance between centers of holes is 8.2mm.  This provides a nice wrap, but the brass strips used for the chainplates have to be filed down to give a nice looking fit.

post-2255-0-83406300-1394414753_thumb.jpg

Your deadeye and chainplate assemblies look pretty good. I am dealing with this right now on my build and it gets a bit fussy to be sure. Your chainplates are about as flat as can be. They will lay on top of the surface of the hull. So long as they are anchored into the hull with a couple of fastenings, you will be good to go.

One thing to watch is the orientation of the deadeye. The lower deadeye has to have the bottom eye down and the upper deadeye has to have the top eye up.

Russ

Surface mount or flush mount- that WAS ... but no longer is .... the question.  I considered pinning them temporarily and then running a blade down and around the chainplates to score the hull, removing the chainplate  and then using a sharpened micro screw driver or something to try and cut between the scores the 1/64 inch, but in the end, honestly I didn't think it would turn out as well as just top mounting them.

Maybe in another life.

The deadeyes rotate freely in their brackets, by the way, which is the reason they are not all facing the same way.  I'll take care of that when the time comes.

post-2255-0-88317800-1394577973_thumb.jpg

Although many people no longer recognize the history, James Bond's destructive wheel spinners were actually based on a tactic developed by the Bluenose who used "nails of death" to rip the shrouds and chainplates off competitor's ships!

:dancetl6:

Okay, it has been a really long day.

looking good Popjack!   the chain plates are coming along great!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nice work on those chain plates.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Jack,

Chainplates look great! You're doing exactly what most of us have done by leaving the chainplates proud. Too much work to make them flush. I like the appearance better anyway. A little touch up paint after you trim the bolts and she will be well dressed! Keep up the good work and post many pictures.

Dave B

Current build: HMS Pegasus, English Pinnace (on hold)

Completed build: MS BluenoseSkippercraft

WELLLLLL, I have uttered some unkind words.

So, I was looking at the plans today, trying to figure out how I was going to do the rigging blocks when I got studying this particular segment:

post-2255-0-16673500-1395002420_thumb.jpg

When this caught my eye.

post-2255-0-53056400-1395016995_thumb.jpg

And then, I started looking at this:

And behold, I noticed that something was a bit different.

post-2255-0-26905100-1395016993_thumb.jpg

Which led quickly to the famous "expletive deleted,"  Note that the band below the "coupling band" is missing.  I completely overlooked it.  (It isn't on the main mast, which I did first).  Not only is it a band, but it has a hoop and two "eyes" in it!

Since there are pins running all the way through the mast and glue and such, I decided to make a ring an bend around the mast.  I just didn't think I'd be able to take it apart without destroying the mast.  Although I know its only wood and some wire, I just didn't want to do that again.

post-2255-0-15733400-1395003866_thumb.jpg

I knew that I wouldn't be able to solder it on, but I put the overlap in so that I could drill through the overlap and have the "pin" hold it closed and tight.

post-2255-0-22659000-1395002412_thumb.jpg

I made all new parts and go this:

post-2255-0-34887900-1395002415_thumb.jpg

After making the missing parts, drilling, painting, making the parts and everything, it came out in the "there will be ropes all over it anyway" category.  Honestly, it isn't perfect and there is a seam that is unsightly.   But I can live with it!

post-2255-0-84096600-1395002417_thumb.jpg

Edited by PopJack

You scared me with this one - then I took a closer look.  Is that the band for the spring stay bail on the fore mast?  There certainly is a lot of hardware up there.  That hole and pin running through the mast will hold everything together.  Better that you found it now that later when you are trying to rig the stay!

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Good catch.  Good fix.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Question: Am I a hooker or not?

I realize that the bluenose had internal iron work on its blocks, but I've been playing with using ropes to tie the hooks on anyway.  I've debated drilling, but the small single blocks are a bit of a challenge for me.  Read that "I'm scared."

I made several small hooks and tied one on to a triple. 

post-2255-0-08063400-1395971263_thumb.jpg

Here it is near its location and then "hooked on."  To stay in place, this hooks is supposed to be moused.  That makes me wonder if there is going to be anything visible except a big blob of string.

post-2255-0-46789300-1395971098_thumb.jpgpost-2255-0-84128800-1395971260_thumb.jpg

These block mount to the rail inside the monkey rail and I didn't want to fool with hooks on them, so I tied them directly onto the pins I made.  I'm wondering if they don't actually look less bulky and better.  (The brass wire is just scrap holding the becket open while he glue that forms it dries.

post-2255-0-30926000-1395971102_thumb.jpg
So the question is, do I tie on hooks, skip the hooks, drill the ones that are big enough?  Mouse or just glue?

I'm thinking about these things and your recommendations would be helpful.  Thanks.

Depending on the size what I have done in the past is use very thin galvenized wire with my blocks after deepening the grooves.  After stropping aai would apply a drop of thinned filler to the grooves.  Once cleaned up you would think they were internally stropped.  I have also soaked them in CA and drilled a very small hole through the length avoiding the slot and inserting a piece of wire though it.  If too small the way you are doing. 

David B

Edited by dgbot