Jump to content

Andrew J.

Members
  • Content Count

    78
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Andrew J.

  • Birthday May 27

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Central New York

Recent Profile Visitors

476 profile views
  1. Thank you all so much for your continued interest and kind words! It's so cool to have real Lightning owners and sailors following along here, and to see that this build is bringing such nostalgia and wonderful memories to you guys. It really makes my heart happy to see that I'm doing things right.
  2. Rudder and hardware dry fit successful! I’m so glad I’m still able to use the pintles and gudgeons I made for the first Lightning five years ago!
  3. Yes, that’s the Dumas kit, which I attempted first but didn’t finish because I didn’t think it was accurate enough. The link to that build log is in the first post of this log. I may yet finish that model some day to try sailing in the pool or something.
  4. It’s been a while since I put pencil to paper to plan out parts but I had fun drafting the seats! Now I can trace templates from here to transfer to the mahogany. If you were following my old log, you might remember that I was originally planning on this being a replica of #1 as a gift to the Skaneateles Country Club. This is no longer the plan and I’m just building it for my own pleasure, so I’ve decided not to replicate the cobbled together seats and floor boards of the prototype.
  5. That would be so cool if I could! I'm not sure it would be a good idea, though. I didn't think to varnish the inside faces of the centerboard trunk before assembling it, so I think the wood might get damaged if it got wet.
  6. Well I went through my paint stash and just happened to find a light grey that I didn't remember having that just happened to be the exact shade that I was expecting the first one to be! So I went ahead and repainted. I am very happy with how the inside looks now. I also got the deck fitting blocking and mast partner installed, as well as the skeg. Throw the centerboard in there for a quick mock-up and she's starting to look like a proper Lightning!
  7. Not my prettiest paint job ever, but a necessary step nonetheless. Unfortunately I couldn’t find a good way to clean up the excess glue from the planking and bottom frames, but most of it will be covered by the floorboards and seats anyway. I had expected it to be a lighter grey based on the color of the lid of the paint jar, but oh well.
  8. Initial trial of chainplate attachment successful! I went with the Micro-Mark 00-90x1/8 screws and nuts. The flat head screws countersink nicely into the 1/16” planking with just enough thread poking through to accept the brass strip and the nut! Let’s just hope the actual planking on the boat behaves itself as well as this test piece did! I won’t have to countersink the heads quite as far as this I don’t think. Just enough to be able to fill and fair. I’m thinking probably 4 screws per chainplate will be sufficient.
  9. The book is absolutely incredibly helpful, I don't think I would have known where to begin without it! It outlines in detail the lofting technique to draw your full size lines to obtain your half station measurements and how to set up the building jig and all of that stuff. It's written specifically for amateur builders who are looking to build their own Lightning in their garage or backyard. (See above reply for the link). The specifications manual they provide free for download is also very helpful, as it's the only place I was able to find a specified measurement for the width the deck arou
  10. The ILCA has published a booklet, almost literally an instruction manual on how to build a wooden Lightning which is incredibly helpful! You can buy it here: https://www.lightningclass.org/content.aspx?page_id=586&club_id=93488&item_id=5905 Before I installed the chine logs, I think I was just extremely careful sanding along the lengths of the frames and was just incredibly lucky that nothing broke loose or became misaligned. In retrospect, I definitely should have put in some temporary spacer blocks between the sides of each frame. I would definitely recommend doing so to
  11. Thank you! No, nothing is painted yet, the basswood is indeed very light. I’m going to paint the inside a very light grey.
  12. Thank you all so much for your encouragement as I've restarted this project! Now that it's officially underway again, I figured it was time to give it its own build log in the appropriate section of the forum. This log will of course be left as is, since there is so much excellent information and reference material here. So there is a link to this log in the first post of my new log, which can be found here: I hope all of you who have been following this log will continue to follow the new one. Thank you all again for your support!
  13. And then with some temporary deck beams in place, it was time to remove it from the building jig! And then just after that is where I got stuck. I didn't know what the best way to go about installing the deck and cockpit framing was, and got so hung up overthinking everything, I just stopped working on it. But fast forward 4 years, with my fresh inspiration and some more research and a little logical thinking, I came up with a plan of action. I decided the best course of action would be to install all of the deck beams at full width to give the form maximum strength and the most uniform shape
  14. And then for the planking. The lines on this boat are so smooth and I think the hull has such a beautiful shape, it really made planking a breeze. Everything went together smoother than I could have expected.
  15. Using the original table of offsets, I scaled all the measurements down and lofted my plans. Then I made a building jig fairly similar to what would be used to build the full size boat.
×
×
  • Create New...