Missing parts Mamoli HMS Victory (moved by admin)

With everyone's help especially GDALE who I plagiarized a lot if that term can be used beyond the written word, I have began the masts, spars, and bowsprit.

Brief background this was an e bay purchase by my daughter for a b'day. It looked all there, but looks can be deceiving.

The 2 plastic containers had several cuts on the top bad sign. The decks were warped as well as the assembly for the stern castle. It was like building a house where the foundation was not square, but was able to correct all and plow on.

I have had to order wood 3 times all the 1x1 or 1x2 and all limewood. Still all good got by that.

My current dilemma is when constructing the bowsprit I noticed the only rings were for the anchors, when looking further this build takes a lot of rings different sizes. I looked on-line and cannot purchase all I need at 1 place and afraid I will have to make all. I do have a lot of brass wire of different gauges.

It will be tedious. Any 1 site where I can buy the different sizes I need. Shouldn't these have been included in the kit. Another goody any instructions end at this point love Italian cuisine but there kits and instructions leave a lot to be desired. Feels like it is beginning to take on water and the pumps are worn out.(Now I will get off the pity potty)

Thanks for any input. 

JA

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

JA,

Are asking about the bands around the bowsprit? And possibly the masts?   If so, consider just making them out of construction paper.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

John,

Like Mark, I'm not sure I understand what you are asking about. If it is brass rings, making your own should be pretty straight forward. Otherwise, have you tried looking at Cornwall Model Boats online? They seem to carry a pretty comprehensive range of parts and fittings.

Grant,

Hello my friend. I was referring to the metal rings used in conjunction with the blocks and rigging 3mm to 10 mm and the 3mm with the attached pin, should have been more specific instead of carping. Cornwall is the only place I haven't looked. I do have enough brass wire to make the rings but was looking for the lazy mans way out. It stopped me dead in my tracks when I realized they were gone.

I appreciate Marks and your suggestions. Thanks

Will have to post some pics before the Admiral flogs me.

John Allen

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Check online jewelry suppliers for something called "jump rings."  They come in various sizes and metals. But these are quite easy to make. Take some brass wire and wrap it in a tight spiral around a drill bit or brass rod slightly larger than the desired inside diameter. Then, use a jeweler's saw to cut the rings off (just cut in a straight line down the length of the drill bit while holding the assembly in a soft-jawed vise). When you make the cut, it will, of course, remove some of the material, so that's why you want to start with a drill bit that's slightly larger than your desired size. Of course, depending on the scale, close enough might just be close enough.

If you need to make eyebolts, check this page - http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3336-securing-eyebolts/?p=107526

Cheers -

John

jhearl

Sound advice link re eyebolts major help

Thanks

John

John Allen

On deck

Finished

HMS Victory by John Allen Mamoli 1-90

I quite don't know where to post this since I have not maintained a progressive build log since starting this in March of 2013. I agree I am a heretic and a flogging or keelhauling would be appropriate. I'm posting a few current pics, and I am at the point of constructing the masts.

My next posting of construction will be the completion hopefully before 2020.

John Allen

On deck

Finished

Don't know if it's just me John, but I'm not seeing the pics - only the file names.

And yes, a flogging followed by a keel hauling is in order for not maintaining a build log! ;) 

Re posting pics

The only problem I had was the skylight, all the plastic widows were gone. I used acrylic but scale is wrong, and it over powers the stern of  the ship will rebuild again (3rd time)

post-2805-0-27295300-1434452437_thumb.jpg

post-2805-0-34379500-1434452453_thumb.jpg

post-2805-0-17310100-1434452494_thumb.jpg

post-2805-0-63952400-1434452512_thumb.jpg

John Allen

On deck

Finished

I was afraid I would recieve no mercy aka Billy Budd

John Allen

On deck

Finished

Nice to see some pictures there John. I agree with you about the skylight. If you're going to rebuild it, you may wish to have a close look at some source photos to check the number of panes on the roof, sides and ends. I can provide you with some photos if you need/want them. Interestingly, it was re-building the skylight that marked my own entry to MSW 1.0 - so it's definitely not too late to start a build log (hint, hint). ;)

Grant,

The skylight was a real thorn thanks for the offer of the photos if I remember it was 20 sm panes & 10 larger panes, still have that plan.

Will begin to post more, almost finished with the masts & yards. Still making rings. jhearl provided a good linc on making eye bolts.

Thanks Grant and to all for the advice.

John Allen

On deck

Finished

John,

The top of the skylight has 4 rows of 8 panes each. The sides have 1 row of 7 panes each, and the ends have 1 row of 3 panes each.

Memory not so good

Thanks

John Allen

On deck

Finished