I just got some replacement planks for my kit. They are 1/16x3/32 boxwood - replacing basswood. I can't cut these guys with an Exacto - even with a new blade.

Is there something else to hand cut or am I going to have to use a power saw?

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Mike, a small jewelers saw is more than adequate for such small pieces.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

An xacto razor saw works pretty well.  Cut long and trim back with a very sharp chisel-shaped blade.

I use this handle with the #18 blade.

post-17589-0-20592900-1450379352.jpg

post-17589-0-07750400-1450379372.jpg

I have most of the tools mentioned. However, I'll be cutting planks for the deck - not a single long one per strake but "20 footers" . That's a lot of cutting. I was hoping to avoid having to cut each one individually.

Thinking back, my question may have been more of a gripe. It was taking 20-30 seconds to hand cut a plank.  I'll probably give the power miter saw a spin. My impatience showing through :angry:

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

I'll probably give the power miter saw a spin. My impatience showing through :angry:

Mike if you do use a power tool make sure that the blade has very fine teeth or you might find that the wood will splinter. 1/16x 3/32 is pretty small, so also make sure that you have zero clearance on the support surfaces.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

At that thickness, about a 160-170 tooth blade for a 3" diameter hobby table saw.  I use mine for that purpose a lot.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Michael - both good suggestions. I have a Proxxon chop/miter saw that came with a 24T blade. When I was cutting 6 sticks at a time it did pretty well. Now I am having to shape each stick so I am cutting just one at a time. I have had a few where the end got buggered up a bit. I have ordered the 230T blade but did not think about the support. The sticks are in a clamp and the blade comes down about 1/2" from that. But the area under the blade is concave so there is no support for about 2" until the sticks reach the edge of the recession. Something under those sticks would be helpful. Just not sure what would fit well.

Mike,

Stick a block of wood under the cut area.  I had the Harbor Freight version which was crap but did the same thing.  I put a block of wood in that area and it worked better.  The HF version wasn't precise by any stretch of the imagination.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That may have been the trick. I pieced together a few scraps until the height matched the saw platform and  glued them together. I'm still using the 24T blade but the cut was a lot cleaner.

Thinking about it, that was probably a bigger problem than the blade. If the sticks are flexing (not still) that would explain a lot.  The 230T blade arrives Weds. Should get even better.

Thanks everyone!