HMS Victory by waspy - Constructo - First time modelling with wood

post-22178-0-33486500-1451081851_thumb.jpg

So, Christmas has been and the family has been gone long enough for me to examine my Victory. I've known it was coming for a while, so I've spent the last 2 months studying all I can from build logs here and all sorts of other places.

I've made several plastic kits of sailing ships in the last few years, but nothing on a level of detail like this, and I've never modelled with wood at all - thankfully most of my Christmas wish list of tools has been filled by my wonderful kids! :D

Having never seen any other wooden kits for comparison, I don't know how this one compares with others, but my initial impression is "WOW" at the amount and quality of the materials, instructions and plans!

I know the "pack-shots" have been done before, but I aim for this log to be complete as possible.

I know I'll have tons of questions as I go along, but from what I've seen of you wonderful people here, there'll be no shortage of helpful answers to all I can think of.

I know this kit is kind of large and advanced for someone with know experience with wooden ships, but I have always loved the Victory, and only live 20 miles along the coast so am well placed for plenty of visits to Portsmouth as I go to give me the incentive to get it right!

At the moment I intend to leave it unpainted and build it pretty much like the box as I love the look of the different colour woods, but that might change if my planking isn't as pretty as I hope.

More family engagements tomorrow but thats followed by another week off work, so I hope to make a little progress before work kicks off again in the new year.

Regards to all,

Waspy :)post-22178-0-48039800-1451081832_thumb.jpg

Great Christmas gift Waspy. I'm excited to see another Victory builder on here. Best of luck with it.

Ian

PS, what scale is it?

Edited by Seventynet

so, with the grandkids exhausted and despatched off home earlier than expected, I cracked on with some ship-building...

made myself a stand/vice to keep the the keel as straight as possible and with the aid of some lego bricks, glued and squared the bulkheads to the false keel.

most of the bulkheads were a bit loose, so I used some .5 mm fillets to fill any gaps in the slots.

next......to experiment with the planking on the lower decks (that will never be seen) to try and work out the best way to replicate the caulking.....

Waspy

post-22178-0-95200400-1451170256_thumb.jpg

Nice start. For caulking I use a HB pencil and rub it along the edges of the plank. I will precut about 20 or so deck planks then clamp them all together so I can hit 20 planks at a time. Hope this helps.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

lower and middle decks planked and installed

post-22178-0-99328700-1451391529_thumb.jpg

I simulated the tree nails in the lowest decks, but to be honest, I think I prefer the look of the deck without them but I'll make a final decision once I've put a coat or 2 on this deck to make sure

post-22178-0-49231500-1451391686_thumb.jpg

Gotta be honest, when I opened the box and started reading all the instructions and pictures I was rather overwhelmed and wondered if I'd taken on way more than I was capable of......but with the first little hatch cover completed, I'm feeling much more confident! :D

post-22178-0-95538300-1451391847_thumb.jpg

Waspy

The decks have come up great. I like the gratings on your first hatch. Well done.

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

Some people use a wipe on poly as a treatment for bare wood. As it comes up great.

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

lower deck hatch covers, stairs and ammunition racks all installed. I used some pure button polish (thats been in my shed for best part of 20 years) which has brought the deck up just how I wanted .......but it's far too shiny on the sapele....gonna have to dull that down again

post-22178-0-60817800-1451489178_thumb.jpg

progress so far: all decks on and planked and the first 3 planks on each side of the hull. So far I've only needed some slight bending with the plier-type plank bender.....won't be log before I find out exactly how tricky it is to bend them round the sharp curves ;)

post-22178-0-72817000-1451833424_thumb.jpg

some progress......planking is a sloooow process but I'm getting there: all planked down to the lower gun-deck.post-22178-0-34086400-1452371133_thumb.jpg

I have to admit, that me and Jasper were worried about how rough the planking was.....but after a quick sanding I'm really happy with how it's going now :)

post-22178-0-07881900-1452371509_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Planking finally finished!!

I always knew that planking was going to be a major challenge. There is a limit to how much reading up on the subject beforehand can teach you (at least for me) I learn by 'doing' and making mistakes.....and boy did I make a ton of mistakes.

The most important mistake was being too 'heavy-handed' while fairing the bulkheads, which as you all already know was the root cause of a lot of the other mistakes to follow.

I wasn't going to post any close-up photos of my work pre-sanding because, compared to most of the build-logs on here it's extremely rough and shoddy looking! .....but then I realised that new members coming here and just seeing perfect workmanship is actually quite intimidating and to see some photos of work done very wrong.....might make them feel a bit better about theirs ;)

the bottom 2 photos show the same planking after a very rough first sanding and the stem attached.....it will never win any awards, but I know by the time it's all sanded properly and varnished it will still be a model that I'll be proud to show my kids! and at least I know where I went wrong for next time......except that by the time I've finished this one and started another, so many years will have passed that I will probably forget most of the lessons learned :P

now onwards and upwards to the bulwarks and gallant rails.....

post-22178-0-71245900-1453847167_thumb.jpg

post-22178-0-82272400-1453847168_thumb.jpg

post-22178-0-56078000-1453847169_thumb.jpg

post-22178-0-38888900-1453847170_thumb.jpg

post-22178-0-40431400-1453847171_thumb.jpg

post-22178-0-43641700-1453847172_thumb.jpg

You sure are moving on at a quick pace, nothing wrong with that planking. Looks just fine to me. I am enjoying following along

You have been doing a great job and really ripping along. You've certainly left me in the dust! I really like the run of the planks and how you tapered them up to the bow.

Best, Ian

Hull Looks Great,  I sanded my my Enterprise a few time until i was really happy. , Once your happy with the sanding and the hull has be vanished, It going to make them beech strips stand out and look really nice.

Keep up the good work

Rich.

Builds in Progress:   HMS Victory

Completed Builds:   Constucto Enterprise

Future Builds 2021/2022 USS Constitution

bulwarks and gallant rails all fitted.

post-22178-0-37411100-1454020487_thumb.jpg

I cheated a little with the gallant rails: the plans called for some very sharp bends on some of the corners, but the mazonia didn't want to bend cleanly, so I squared them off, mitred them and then sanded the mitre to try to simulate the bend instead - certainly worked out neater than the bend did :)

post-22178-0-32338400-1454020652_thumb.jpg

A very productive few days - amazing what can be accomplished when you have the house to yourself! :)

bow and stem reinforcements, transom, one side of the stern galleries and one side of the wales.

For some stupid reason the instructions call for blue paper behind the windows and the clear acetate to be cut into each separate window! I did away with the blue paper which looked awful, painted the back black and sandwiched a single piece of acetate between the 2 transom pieces.

going to get a bit busy at work for the next few weeks but hopefully I'll still find an hour or 2 in the evenings.

Waspy :)

post-22178-0-92078300-1454276888_thumb.jpg

post-22178-0-99409500-1454276890_thumb.jpg

post-22178-0-58030200-1454276892_thumb.jpg 

Looking very sharp waspy. Looks like you might be having some fun soon cutting out one or two gunports :piratetongueor4:.​

Best, Ian

Hey Waspy,

Check out my Victory build progress, I've mentioned in there about the process of getting those gun ports done. Relatively straight forward and easy. Just need to keep blades sharp for carving out the little bits of the gun ports, after I drilled them out.

Current build: Duyfken

Completed build: NS Mercedes

Completed build: HMS Victory

Completed build: Bluenose Schooner

Also just noticing that you have your top deck in place, built already...what are your plans for the lower deck canons? Or are you modeling your cannon ports shut? Always an option.

The build is looking mighty fine though!!

Current build: Duyfken

Completed build: NS Mercedes

Completed build: HMS Victory

Completed build: Bluenose Schooner

thanks challenger, I had already noticed your ideas for cutting out the gun ports and am planning to use the process :)

the constructo version only has whole cannons in the waist that I can still access, the rest of the cannon on that deck are false cannons.

Constructo makes a very challenging kit. So far you seem to have mastered it. Nice work. I have the direct e-mail if you need help from Constructo.

mcarracedo@diset.com

Marcos Carracedo 

Good luck, Rich