USS Essex by spongbob - American Frigate

Hatches in process ',...one more photo later tonight....  a thought if i were to paint the deck i could use bondo" to bend the deck extensions and align the planks to appear no longer butted maybe solve a little of the roughness . Ive got to say these parts are small and hand made , if the hatches look mis-skewed " ? it only makes it easier for crew to see through lol" ...If your sawing the thin stacked hatch strips cut to length align pieces, then use a fine hack saw blade to cut all cross slots at the same time .I did it the wrong way .

The hatch is maple with cedar frame maybe i should loose the cedar me thinks".

post-23194-0-00828700-1458088972_thumb.jpg

Edited by spongbob

i did get to second hatch(grate ?) this afternoon', just measured opening cut pieces for a frame and 5 more longer pieces then the 9 center cross /short pieces i tried sawing the interval relief's (notches ) by stacking the long pieces then marking the interval of cross pieces but the saw was raking wrong. There occurred" some drift ect ,so i finally" ended up gluing 4 outer piece's together to form the outer frame.

Then glued the long center piece's in, then had to try and clean up the cross groove's with razor blade, and sandpaper' edge ...after i glued 9 cross piece's that i marked from long ones spaces onto side of short piece's...and sanded  flush all cemented with super glue of course..To say" the least: enough time for nominal results and i doubt if my current post will impress many here" .....ect ect...ps: i cleaned some excess glue off the deck '...

post-23194-0-06003300-1458527742_thumb.jpg

post-23194-0-68588000-1458527756_thumb.jpg

Edited by spongbob

Finished with the cannon port fill and sand so i painted it with primer then top coated it with some nutmeg paint i had (needs some clean up). Scotch tape for mask can see run under for paint at least !...Later " i played with positioning some orange led's ,stay tuned more to come....yess im going to get rid of that crack between bottom plank

post-23194-0-57484600-1458700900_thumb.jpg

post-23194-0-41135400-1458743976_thumb.jpg

Edited by spongbob

A couple hour's , and final fitting" and adjustment's to the 3 Gun deck panel's ,including making rear mast boss/ dead wood, and deck hole'... Also checking for the led wire routing (drilling ect) into cabin area" there is still a final plank attached with tape as i am holding off gluing the panels fast until i route led wires to front bow gun deck facing rearward .When on they should light gun port's" slightly ... soon will install the inside hull planking panel's ,then upper deck's....

I have got some chain" i think' i can make rat line' chain's with,.... and cannon tie ring's both"!

Leds " the color you ask"..?.. orange '......

post-23194-0-43110500-1458791825_thumb.jpg

Edited by spongbob

Took several hours to match both of the fabricated' gun wall plank panels "too ports ... Next to come", more gun wall' plank panels /more matching ,..as the rear section remains ...ports visible through ports are the opposite" side'.

Just previous: have fastened deck sections",..and touched up port paint ,..and cleaned up some spots. Please stay optimistic "..as progressing slowly" thanks everyone for like's and views"!   Will have to decide when to poly the deck'...

keyword 5 minit Epoxy.....

post-23194-0-28692200-1459131914_thumb.jpg

post-23194-0-83465900-1459131941_thumb.jpg

Edited by spongbob

• 3 weeks later...

Finally found the mini leds i intended to use for ship light's, so the bad choice ones are out! . It took me 2 hours to figure out how to solder the things to wire inadvertently cooking" 4 of them . After that i decided on wire wrapping  a pin onto my soldering iron as too much heat was ruining the led's .

Also downsized the attachment wire  to a single strand of lamp wire (works) . i superlued the side of the led to a little stick ,as to allow me to maneuver the tiny lamp into a quick kiss with the (now) solder pin....lol

there would be other ways to do this slick but it worked out(as method test). Power came from two AA cells im shure a resister is nessesary the one im useing is to high a resistance probably need a 10 ohm 0.25 watt depending on how many in parallel" you wire them? they will light very bright without it but probably get to much current so:

These things are easily small enough" to fit in a ship lantern, dont yah think" ? If yer thinking you mite be wanting some the details on sticker and ebay's the source .osram LO Y876

Their are 25 lights (minus 4) on each one of those strips

Im getting a good idea about battery placement put the battery case into the bottom of the mount plack then connect throuh switch on back (routed)thenconnct to the center screws that mount to (spindles) bottom of keel"

from there any on board micro switches or straight to leds this idea seems best.

post-23194-0-99873600-1460602108_thumb.jpg

post-23194-0-79967700-1460602471_thumb.jpg

Edited by spongbob

You will need a limiting resistor.   How many or what values do you have handy?    I'd start with 100 ohms and go down.  Too much current and you'll fry the LED's.  I'd wire in parallel if you can.  That way if one dies, the rest don't.  

As for connecting... if you solder, low power (10W maybe) and a heat sink between the joint and the LED.  A small forcep, clamping tweezer, or alligator clip will work well.  Make sure that it's not acid core solder.

I don't see a mA rating on the label... if you can find that and use the battery voltage (again series or parallel on the batteries)  you can Google for a "LED resistance calculator" that will help you with the resistance.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

You will need a limiting resistor. How many or what values do you have handy? I'd start with 100 ohms and go down. Too much current and you'll fry the LED's. I'd wire in parallel if you can. That way if one dies, the rest don't.

As for connecting... if you solder, low power (10W maybe) and a heat sink between the joint and the LED. A small forcep, clamping tweezer, or alligator clip will work well. Make sure that it's not acid core solder.

I don't see a mA rating on the label... if you can find that and use the battery voltage (again series or parallel on the batteries) you can Google for a "LED resistance calculator" that will help you with the resistance.

some leds wont work series already the ones im removing wont... Using resistance calculator it might be 22 ohms at .25 watt but that is an individual value rate so it could be between 22 and less for parallel with single dropping aside from multi dropping : i will experiment and edit post ....thanks. What im considering useing is the regulater circuit from an old defunct solar hedge lite that should solve everything voltage wise or s pair of regulator circuits agreed ?!they just had one battery and one led each might pull 2 of the little leds . Edited by spongbob

Have some fun with them.  BTW, if you ever connect just the LED to a battery, unless they are the ones with the built in limiting resistor, the LED will blow like super fast.  The batteries will see it as a dead short and dump max amps just like through a wire.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

made the planked right rear section haven't sanded ports to size yet" rear led's face forward one led for cabin area have tested wire's getting ready for upper deck hopefully better care to detail Will show later just how bright they are" !

post-23194-0-77321800-1464924656.jpg

Edited by spongbob

to say that i' lost about 200 photos of Essex models .Because hard drive crashed on the laptop and I hadn't backed up any I'm waiting on replacement pc work in shop .Past few posts have from Mobil android (not my bag)makes it hard to like your likes .working more hour's so slow to little progress"

Edited by spongbob

project time this evening readying deck area made a mast blank .Sanded cannon ports ,etc. Decided to put lite ply 1/32" under planks as a measure to improve leveling and strength in one step! ... took about 1hour to cut some oak wood to rough size to be used as I'm still playing with the possibilities". further considerations are required to assemble ship hardware ,checking plans installing cannon to mention for most in mind thanks and happy modeling ! I suppose I have to turn photo's to the left' there standing on end I'll try to tighten the fit little if I can..

post-23194-0-01404700-1465783538.jpg

Edited by spongbob

• 2 months later...

okay im  back: at least i should be"..... better phone.. ,internet ..,and rehashed some plans.. and../ pics . This evening (today !) i made some wood to size, to make the rail support, around the for deck' . It was then that i took note of (too) the height" of the deck itself , as i had made a piece' of ply to fit already, excepting not actually positioning for (glue) .It remained first some comparison / with a couple models" and what little i could see from plans . Long story short it appears to me sometime's i overlook what i must realize in time lol.The wood i sized may be to small, ifso ?..il have to redo it over before fabbing anything .Of course i have to fit some deck planks", and yes that is a finished half of the lower  foremast  lying inside "...Im simply glad to have gotten a start' and finally having got to a position to where i hope to be able to accomplish something "!..thanks for any interest... 11.30 gotta hit the hay here ! good nite

post-23194-0-05477300-1471234570.jpg

Edited by spongbob

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...