Pat, think a jig like this will work.

On the other hand, I wonder whether a simple (but dimensionally precise) mock-up of the mast-head wouldn't be sufficient. The cheeks could be held temporarily in place with pins driven through the holes. This would then ensure a tight fit to the mast-head.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

I agree with Wefalck.  Well done on the jig, Pat.  That is so much better than what I usually do which is use small strips of duct tape to hold down the pieces I'm soldering.  Here's how neanderthals in Texas do it!

59.thumb.jpg.d7a831052fc8e3156781c51d0192911a.jpg

Thanks @wefalck, @Glen McGuire and @Jim Lad, appreciate the feed back.  Eberhard, I did have the same idea but using the actual mast.  That is pin and glue the cheeks in place first, but with the very small items I was concerned about keeping the tops of the trestletrees parallel and exactly aligned.  This jig at least keeps one of these variables (spacing) under control, and with a bit of care should be able to control the parallel aspect.  The central spacer is exactly the width of the masthead BUT, there is a tiny bit of 'slop' in the hound/cheek slots, so I may have to seriously reconsider your idea. 

Glen one of the three key 'bodging' tools - duct tape, 16 gauge fencing wire and a big hammer.   I may have to resort to duct tape if all else fails ;) - then again I could get those pesky penguins to hold it in place if Keith will spare a couple - yeah I know 🤐

John, if I hadn't already made the masts that could have been an serious option to consider; thanks for the idea.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)