SY Aurora by Glen McGuire - FINISHED - Bottle - 1/500

I’m kinda getting hooked on these ship-in-bottle projects.  Maybe because I’m impatient and can finish them in 2-3 months rather than a year (or years) like the full-size ship models.  I’ve thought about borrowing @mtaylor's signature line and changing it to “The wood is patient but this shipwright is not!”  So I think I’m going to do a few more SIBs before I pull my AL Constellation kit out of the closet.

The best thing about completing my first scratch build SIB is that now the next project is not limited to what kits are available.  But maybe that’s a problem too – figuring out what ship to do next!

So after a lengthy debate, I have decided on the SY Aurora as a SIB.  Most people know the Aurora as the “other” ship involved in the ill-fated Ernest Shackleton/Endurance attempt at a Trans-Antarctic expedition.  However, I first came across the Aurora in books I’ve read about Douglas Mawson.  He is a lesser-known Antarctic explorer, mainly because his goal was mapping and scientific exploration rather than trying to achieve a “first”, as in first to the South Pole or first to do a trans-continent trek, etc.  If you have an interest in Antarctic exploration and have never read about his story of survival on the Australasian Antarctic Expedition, I highly recommend a couple of books, Home of the Blizzard by Mawson himself and Mawson’s Will by Lennard Bickel.  Even the short Wikipedia writeup will leave you in awe of what a man can endure.  

The Aurora was a steam and sail barquentine with 1 funnel and 3 masts, with square sails only on the fore mast.  It was originally launched in 1876 and later purchased by Mawson for his expedition in 1910.  Hopefully I can do it justice with this build.  

1.png

2.jpg

One of the things I really like about SIB projects is the chance to get creative with the displays.  To me, they are almost important as the ship itself.  The small size, various bottle shapes, and even the history of the ship offer the opportunity to do lots of different things.  For the Aurora, I’m going to mount the finished bottle on a replica of one of the sledges that Mawson and his expedition team used to haul their gear over the ice.  I’ve found some fantastic museum pictures of one of his original sledges at https://collection.maas.museum/object/250732.  Now I just need someone to finish off this cheap bottle of whiskey so I can get started!

5.png

7.jpg

If you need help finishing off the bottle, post a notice.  I'm sure there will be volunteers.   LOL

I like the idea of the sled for the base to hold the bottle.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I’d be happy to help with emptying the whiskey bottle Glen! This sounds like a very interesting build and I love your idea for display. I’m taking a front row seat for this one. 😊

Grant - Thanks for the generous offer.  You have to let me know when you start on your Amati Hannah build.  I looked in on your capstan project.  Your woodworking skills are quite impressive!  Wow.

Roger - I would hate to waste good whiskey like that!  But wait a minute, I paid less than $10 for that whole bottle so maybe the drain is the best place for it!  

The bottle opening is only 11/16”. which is smaller than my two previous SIBs.  There’s a lot going on with the smokestack, vent pipes, railing, and ship's boats, so this will definitely challenge my limited skills.  Here’s the basic concept I’ve got in mind.

9.jpg

Glen, I might be pointing out the obvious here, but.......

Your bottle neck opening is 11/16".

Your scale model breadth is 3/4" (ie 12/16")

Do we have a problem?

Ah - that's good then - a whole 1/16" to spare. What could possibly go wrong? 😁

I'm still a couple of weeks away from starting my Amati Hannah - gotta get this Capstan Project finished first (thanks for looking in).

Hey Glen, I'm in on this one - what a cool project!  I love your ideas, how creative!  Looking forward to following along!

At less than $10, I'll probably pass on helping you empty the bottle.   Sounds like you have enough volunteers though :champagne-2:

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Well, while I work on trying to empty the bottle of rotgut, I’ve decided to do this project in reverse order and build the display first.  Here we go!

I know the name of this forum is Model Ship World and not Model Sledge World but I figured I log some of the work building the sledge.  

The sledge build appears pretty straightforward except for the leading edge which requires a sharp u-turn (first pic).  The 2nd pic shows the shaping of the runners and the leading edge.  The runners are basswood strips and the leading edge is a bamboo skewer.  The bamboo seems to bend a little easier that a regular dowel rod.  

12.png

11.jpg

The bend on the runners came out nice and uniform.  It was a bit different than plank bending since there was no hull to shape it against and the bend needed to be the same on each end.  But the simple fact that there are only 2 instead of 50 means it was waaaaaay easier than the usual planking stage for a ship!  

For the framework, the challenge was trying to figure out how to clamp everything while the glue dried without deforming the bend in the runners.  Thank goodness for a garage full of miscellaneous junk!  In the end, I’m happy with how the basic frame turned out.

15.jpg

17.jpg

Dang!  When I took the bamboo skewers out of the bending jig, the ends flared out a bit which put too much outward force on the runners.  Every time I tried to compensate by over-bending the skewers, they broke.  

Plan B.  I realized that since the whole curved part will be wrapped with cordage, it doesn’t matter what it’s made of.  And 12-gauge copper wire with insulation is the same diameter as my bamboo skewers.  So, I bent a piece of the copper wire into the curve and snipped off a bit of the insulation on each end.  Then I cut a couple of short, straight pieces of the skewers and drilled a shallow hole into each end where I could insert the uninsulated tip of the wire ends.  After gluing the 2 pieces together it’s a good fit.  And after wrapping, I think it worked out ok.

19.jpg

20.jpg

I’ve decided that in my vocabulary, “artistic license” is just a fancy term for overcoming a screwup.  And the next step required some artistic license.  There’s lashing that holds the 2 long side rails to the cross slats and support posts.  I realized I should have drilled the lashing holes in the support posts before assembling the frame.  Unfortunately, I now had no room to drill the holes where they should be – facing front and back (see 1st pic).  So, the only thing I could do was drill holes from the side and come up with my own lashing loops.  Artistic license, right?     

22.png

23 (3).jpg

Love it Glen!  Nice job finding solutions to the two issues 👍

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Continuing with the finer details of the sledge…The original looks like it has leather or rawhide wraps around each joint.  I cut up the palm of an old leather glove for my joint wraps.  The original has angled metal braces that support each cross slat as well as small metal pins that secure each support post to the runners.  I used the thinnest piano wire I’ve got for those.  The original also has 2 thin metal straps around each cross slat.  I used leftover photo-etched sprues and painted them a steel gray.  

27.jpg

31.jpg

20211214_151813.jpg

Edited by Glen McGuire

And here's the finished sledge with the exception of the pull ropes on each end.  I've got to order some 1.5mm cordage for that.  Everything in my small stockpile of leftovers is either too fat or too thin for what I need.  

20211217_081243.jpg

20211217_081324.jpg

Picture1.png

Edited by Glen McGuire

Glen, just getting to your SIB and sips party, sorry for being late. I'll pull up a chair over here in the corner and follow along. Please consider all previous post a 'thumbs up'. 

Thanks, Keith.  I know you've got a ton of experience with these steam and sail ships so if you see me screwing something up, be sure and let me know!

Glen, I've got years of experience researching and working on one ship, the Tennessee. I've somewhat educated myself to model ship building by going through as many MSW build logs as possible during my time as a MSW member. 

Edited by Keith Black

16 hours ago, Glen McGuire said:

@mtaylor Thanks for following along, Mark.  How are you doing?

Doing well, Glen.  I find your idea of the sled as part of the base to be ingenious.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Merry Christmas and best wishes to everyone for a wonderful holiday season!  It's been a real blessing to have discovered this forum and be able to learn so much from so many amazing people!  

Back to work after a nice Christmas break.  For the base, I did not want the sledge to just sit on a block of wood, I wanted it resting on snow/ice.  One of the difficulties the explorers encountered in Antarctica was that the terrain was not smooth.  It was mostly sastrugi, which is hard, wind-blown ridges of snow and ice.  See 1st pic below.  

So I did my best to give the base a flavor of sastrugi.  I used acrylic paint (consistency of cake icing), smoothed it on the base with a spatula, drew ridges in it with a spoon, then sprinkled white sand on top to give it a rougher looking surface texture.  

OK.  The display is complete and it’s finally time to start building the ship!    

Sastrugi.jpg

45.jpg

47.jpg

Merry Christmas Glen!  Love the base for your Aurora.  Nicely done!

Mike