HMS Beagle 1820 by Mike 41 - 1:48 scale - Cherokee-class brig-sloop

• 2 weeks later...

The bow was looking awful plain so I added the bowsprit and gammoning, false rail, naval hood, wash cant, lower and main rails, and bumpkins. This is a few photos of the installation.

IMG_6178.JPG

IMG_6179.JPG

IMG_6180.JPG

IMG_6181.JPG

IMG_6182.JPG

IMG_6183.JPG

IMG_6184.JPG

IMG_6185.JPG

• 1 year later...

This is incredible work. I'm currently building the kit version of this ship and am completely blown away by this one. You're an artist.

Frank

Current Build: HMS Beagle 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/19447-hms-beagle-by-frank-williams-mamolidusek-164/&do=findComment&comment=593563

Completed Builds: 

Midwest Dinghy

Occre Bounty Longboat

Hi Frank,

Thanks, I scanned then traced the drawings I needed to generate the modeling plans from the book Anatomy of the ship HMS Beagle using AutoCAD. I would recommend the book it has a lot of fine details you can add to your model.

Mike

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Mike - thanks for being daring enough to scratch-build the Beagle :) I had bought the AOTS and am slowly coming to terms with the nautical detail!

A small thing I don't quite understand is the function of the hammock storage along the sides of the main deck. Were the crew's hammocks stored there for airing? (surely they would have got wet). Did the crew sleep on the upper deck? I am a bit unsure!

Again, thanks for your build so far - it has given me some insight about an ambitious scratch build wa.......y down the track.

Cheers, Pat

Building: Artesania Latina Endeavour

Billings Roar Edge

Seriously thinking: Fairmile B launch (powered)

Bucket List: Dyfken, Beagle, Endurance

Hi Pat,

Thanks, the ATOS books are a great resource but not perfect use with caution.

As I understand storing the hammocks in the crane racks afforded the gunners protection against small arms fire. The hammock would stop musket balls during battles. I would think the crew would sleep on the upper deck during good weather, I know I would.

Scratch building a pof ship model gives you a better understanding of the components of the actual ship. I would suggest a cross section for your first scratch build, they give you an idea of the time an effort it takes to make all your own pieces.

Good luck with the HMS Endeavour.

Mike

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...