Its about time I built that model

Mozartman

Since the age of 16 I have all ways loved ship models, I used to go down to London to the Science Museum or to the Nation Maritime Museum and gaze at the model with longing to do one myself. But now at the age of 59 there is no excuse on this earth as to why I have not done so. So here we go.

I totally agree with all that say start small, single deck, 1 mast or 2 at push with a simple syle of stern or bow. but I will add that I think also what is needed is reading lots, watch online videos, learn the language used by shipwrights. There are books published by Conway Marine Press or Seawatch Books on ship models, building, techniques, specific models, scratch building etc.  Model shipwright a quarterly journal then annually (now seems finished) are high on the list. The NRG or MSW are a must for anybody thinking of starting, build logs or videos like K Kenny on vimeo.com inspire as to what can be done.

So many will ask why have I not done so. I have the books, watched the videos, well now we start.

The project is going to be Caldercrafts HMS Snake (yes i have just broken the 1 or 2 mast suggestion) I am not going to do the kit as out of the box but improvements like replacing the stem with a built up stem rather than the whole one piece stem. M Benten did Caldercrafts HMS Diana with improvements that increase the model so much. (there used to be an online version of his efforts but has sadly disappeared online though I do have all the website saved offline so i can see how he did it. contact me if anybody wants to see it)

Wood now is a problem, model shops here in the UK are closing as the younger generation play on computers (I do to) and the woods you used to buy are less and less. English box rare though logs can be found, (just bought 4, dried for over 6 years) Lime (that’s not Basswood) Pear, Apple, Holly are all the best woods to use in my opinion and therefore shall be used in my hopefully improvements with a few others.

Not sure if to fully paint the model or use different woods as some modellers do with perfection.

A log will be created so you can all see how good or bad a job i doo.

Welcome to MSW, Mozartman.   Can we have your name so we're not using your handle?   

I too have a copy of Benton's Diana.   A fine reference work.  Pity the website disappeared but nothing is forever one the Web.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello Mozatman, nice to see you have taken the plunge into ship modelling. MSW is a great resource and if you need it you will get a lot of encouragement and advice. Start a log so that we can all enjoy your journey.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

If you absolutely have to break the "go simple" rule of thumb, then Snake is not the worst violation you could come up with. It's a pretty straightforward design as far as three-masters go, and the lack of fancy ornamentation simplifies things.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Welcome to MSW Mozartman, 

Greetings from Belgium.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum