Wasan 1628 by Nazgul - FINISHED - Billing Boats Vasa 1:75

Just stopped in to see how things are progressing.

More beautiful work as expected. Its good to see you move to the bow.

The wood working didn't last long did it, with such an ornate ship will the figures ever be all done?

So just how many sculptures does the Wasa have in total, and how many do you have left?

Your work is as fine as it ever was, and I really like that new stern photo, I think it was in post #614 last picture.

Edited by themadchemist

Matti,

NIce. YOUR Billings is so close to the 1/10th. Good work. Nice build.

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Cheers for  the nice comments everyone! They give lots of energy to continue the build.

Keith, its around 500 sculptures. Im not sure how many is left for me, but the gun port lions will be most work to get uniform and nice. I think the galleries and towers were most work on the model as all sculptures had to be individually shaped. Im glad I could shape them though so I could shape the wood the way I wanted. And it feels pretty nice to look at it afterwards.

Lawrence, I hope you finish the trees soon so we can get some nice updates of your work!

Phil, yeah the 1:10 looks bright and almost orange in those pics. It looks more muted in real life. Ill post a picture of the 1:10 looking more like real life. I always try to get natural colors when I paint models for effect and harmony My basic idea for this paintjob was to get a red like blood and a yellow like bones and the tarred hull like soil. The scale also looks more harmonic in muted natural colors in my opinion.    

Mark and Nigel, the original thingie looks like a sea monster with two smaller monsters at his sides. Ive read the grotesque style is common for north german renaissance. Im not sure I can get that shaped properly but I will try.

/Matti

PS: Heres a pic of the 1:10 model without the strong flash making the red and yellow look weird. I think the untreated look of the hull makes the colors look more bright than they would on a tarred ship.

gIMG_6284.jpg

Edited by NAZGÛL
post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Phil, no chance, but thanks!

Thanks Nigel, Im not sure, but I see 3 options.

1, make dummy carriages, they found papers indicating they where painted black and that would make it less obvious, but they would indeed look to short.

2, leave the ports closed, but that would be boring and make all the work opening tem somewhat pointless.

3. have the canons pulled in, but the ports open for light and ventilation like on Batavia below.

Im guessing its not easy to find a full set of 1/75 complete guns to buy? That would be the best solution.

/Matti

post-3739-0-26082800-1386404135_thumb.jpg

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Hi Matti

Out of necessity,i am replacing all the cannons on my Sovereign build.I am using Amati decorative cannons.These can be obtained either with or without a machined walnut carriage assembly.They come in various lengths but the lengths listed are actually different from the true length.I bought a sample of each size to determine what I required.I didn't want plain cannons as that wasn't was fitted on the original,and I feel Wasa is the same.I include a picture so you get an idea (I thought there was one on my build log,but after checking,there isn't).If you like the look of them,I will give you the part numbers and exact lengths.

Kind Regards Nigel

post-1641-0-11428300-1386421852_thumb.jpg

Edited by NMBROOK

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Very clean, nice, good, beautifull job. Hope to get there one day!

Nicely done Matti, she's a real credit to you. Love those figures.

Good luck with the decision on your guns.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

This last week has been even more hectic at work, but now its close to christmas. Ive managed to make the floor planks for the beakhead. Still need to weather them to make it blend better.

I made the planks thinner then the plans suggested, that also gave me the chance to make them look slightly uneven like on the real ship. When positioning them I tried to catch the irregular look of the original. I overdid the curve at the end though. 

/Matti

post-3739-0-62543000-1387015751_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-19000300-1387015756_thumb.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Hi Matti,

You say you overdid the curve at the end, blowed if I can see it, it looks great to my eyes. Pretty close to the inset pics mate.

Keep it up my friend, I'm enjoying your journey from a distance.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-