Wasan 1628 by Nazgul - FINISHED - Billing Boats Vasa 1:75

Hey Matti

In the 2nd picture is the inset pic of the actual ship? The reason I ask is if so, it appears you've got it more correct then the engraving inset in the 1st pic.

I'm basing this on the doors which in the engraving from above appear vertical and yours are tilted back.

In the 2nd pic inset, the doors are tilted back also. The planking appears very close in picture 2. You are right about them needing some Matti Magic, it'll look great with some aging.

The actual pic also looks to have the planking closest to the stem canted as you have it. Although its really hard to tell for sure with the steps in the way. Those should be fun to fit. Also the stbd steps look different, are those replacements, or do you know? Your also right about an unevenness in the planks, especially in the cross pieces that form the gammoning holes. You have done a great job recreating a better build!

Is there any chance of a photo like #2 where your Wasan is tilted to match the picture. Enough to see the inner port in comparison to the actual. 

Have you ever considered a model of her as she sits now. That would really show off your abilities to weather and age. :dancetl6:

"In the 2nd picture is the inset pic of the actual ship? The reason I ask is if so, it appears you've got it more correct then the engraving inset in the 1st pic.

I'm basing this on the doors which in the engraving from above appear vertical and yours are tilted back.

In the 2nd pic inset, the doors are tilted back also. The planking appears very close in picture 2."

The first insert is from Landströms Vasa book from the 80:ies. I think its drawn before the beakhead rebuild was finished on the real ship. The second insert is of the real ship. I used Landstöms pic to get a good top view and see how thick the planks should be, and then looked at the second pic to see the curved planks at the end. I think that I missunderstand you, because the doors look tilted back on Landströms pic also.

"You are right about them needing some Matti Magic, it'll look great with some aging."

Yeah, its actually tricky to do, as I used CA glue to mount the planks, and the glue on the plank edges will behave differently to the washes so I need to think a little about it.

"The actual pic also looks to have the planking closest to the stem canted as you have it. Although its really hard to tell for sure with the steps in the way. Those should be fun to fit. Also the stbd steps look different, are those replacements, or do you know? Your also right about an unevenness in the planks, especially in the cross pieces that form the gammoning holes. You have done a great job recreating a better build!"

Cheers, I hoped I would do it better, but imo its hard to recreate wonkyness. I think got "the look" of it though, even if the curved area ended up to much. I havent decided if Ill redo the area. Its still better than the stuff I did when I started this build a year back. So I might regard it as a lesson learned and leave it as it is.

Yeah I definately think some steps are replaced. To make it easy to spot, they decided to leave the new made parts untreated.

"Is there any chance of a photo like #2 where your Wasan is tilted to match the picture. Enough to see the inner port in comparison to the actual."

Ill try to do that when I take photos next time.

"Have you ever considered a model of her as she sits now. That would really show off your abilities to weather and age."

I did consoder that before starting, but I wanted to see if I could do the polycrome style, a look that I love.

Cheers for all interesting questions!

/Matti

Here is a bigger version of the inserted pic:

post-3739-0-07835200-1387191753_thumb.jpg

Edited by NAZGÛL
post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Matti,

Nice updates. I also agree the cannons that even Corel included are incorrect. I purchased some after market replacements. The same that Nigel showed in the photo. They won't be accurate like Clayton's but the weather deck cannons will look so much better than kit supplied pieces. And only a "few" of us will even realize the errors (:-)

B.E.'s link might be the best solution for you. I know that you are a stickler for accuracy (:-)

Regards,

MIchael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hey all, been working on the base for the rails this week. Pretty tedious work as I had to reshape many pieces to get it right. Reshaping also means repainting, but for some reason that part of the work feels fun. ;)

The horizontal planks are first painted with  brown washes to get a slightly darker nuance. Then I sanded the outer sides to make it look like its painted. Then thin dirt streaks like it had rained on them. Then lighter washes to make it realistic and finally some light sanding to make it blend. I want to get many nuances of the washes so I had to paint all the vertical pieces using different shades of washes.

/Matti

post-3739-0-30851400-1387543616_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-91268300-1387543621_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-94567900-1387543625_thumb.jpg

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Hi Matti, just wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Nice job on the railing.

That should help make her less of a sleeve snag while working on her.

That last picture is at just the perfect angle to really show my favorite aspect of the Wasan. That teardrop shaped profile is just so gorgeous.

...and your painting highlights and washes really make her look real. Its funny, you find the shaping and sanding tedious and the painting Fun and it is the opposite for me. Keep up the excellent work my friend, she's really stating to take shape.

Christmas update. ;) Been painting the herms that sits by the railings. I also started to add the ledges that runs between the tritons.

First a compilation of the herms from the 1:10 at the museum that can be helpfull for us vasabuilders:

post-3739-0-81314800-1388050664_thumb.jpg

Then follows how mine turned out. I choosed to only do the blue version that I think look really nice. They didnt check that many sculptures when doing the paint analysis so I think there is room for artistic freedom when painting the sculptures.

post-3739-0-22762200-1388050681_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-63616800-1388050700_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-76306500-1388050704_thumb.jpg

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

So the museum exercised a little artistic freedom also? It does seem that it would be an extremely time consuming project to identify every single spot of paint on all the figures & decorations.By the way - 5 inches of snow on the ground here. :o I hate snow!

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

From what I understand they thoroughly analyzed around15 sculptures, and Vasa has around 500. From the result they could see the pattern of how they where likely painted.

We actually got a little snow last night.

/Matti

Edit, just noticed I called the mermen herms above. I ment tritons.

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

If you are interested in Vasa history, there is a really good research summary that clearly describes why it failed: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rqxfn0mrcsu0iw0/vasacasestudy.pdf

Reasons are quite typical for any big project, especially IT projects. Changed requirements, subcontractors failing, opaque documentation, you name it :)

P.S.: Nazgul, what kind of a wood supplied for a hull planking in that kit? Can't find it on Billings website

Thanks for the link Matti. It was really interesting. Will keep an eye for part 2.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Mike, the instruction list them as obechi. This is my first wood model and I'm still confused when it comes to wood material, especially in english. I guess I spend to much time searching for reference and to little time learning wood. ;)

Ulises and Lawrence, its a good film, the DVD has subtitles in english, Russian and german.

Looking forward to see tour updates Lawrence.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Also, Vasa museum have an amazing book written by Fred Hocker, their head of research. Fantastic illustrations and context.

For shipbuilders they sell a set of high quality detailed drawings for an extremely low price (100kr)

That could be a must have set for all Vasa builders!