Wasan 1628 by Nazgul - FINISHED - Billing Boats Vasa 1:75

Small update: I've painted the big sculpture at the middle of the ship. First how it looks on the 1:10:

post-3739-0-57224400-1391356472_thumb.jpg

And here is how mine turned out:

post-3739-0-21806700-1391356528_thumb.jpg

I've also made the wooden pieces that sits around the round holes below the bow:

post-3739-0-24237900-1391356634_thumb.jpg

I have also started to plan the cannons and now know what where used. By looking at the guns made by Clayton for the 1:10 model at the museum I noticed that the guns supplied by BB is not that bad actually and I will use them for the stormstycke cannons. To my relief the wagons included in the kit is close to the originals in look so there is no need to buy or build others. I might tweak them some though.

On the real ship 8 of the cannons where old 3 pounders made in the 1500's. I decided to scratch these in wood as I want to have those long and thin barrels. 

Here is how they turned out:

post-3739-0-69435800-1391357414_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-43380800-1391357416_thumb.jpg

/Matti

post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Great discussion and great work.

- Bug

Fabulous work Matti B)  B) With your painting skills I should imagine it is immaterial that the carriages are plastic.Your scratchbuilt cannon barrels are wonderful and you would not buy anything off the shelf that looked like those.With the quality of your build,it is easy to forget that this is your first wooden build,exemplary work my friend!!!

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Thanks for the nice comments Bug and Nigel!

Nigel, the carriages are made of plywood.

post-3739-0-36226800-1391371898_thumb.jpg

If I've understood it correctly they where likely painted black, and that's what the look I plan to give them, a grayish black. They will hopefully look something like this:

post-3739-0-39788600-1391372050_thumb.jpg

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Cheers Phil!

Nigel, If the trunnion is where the axis from the cannon connect, then it is likely because of the BB cannon design.

In their defense the carriages must have been different from the different cannon models and their lenghts. The cannon in the pic is one of the "newer" 24 pounders, the ones on the weatherdeck where others. Especially the 1 pounder has the axis further backwards due to the short length.

I think there must be some guesses about how the other cannons looked as they must have been the first cannons salvaged in the 1600's and therefore we only have the lists made of her weaponry.

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Cheers Phil!

Nigel, If the trunnion is where the axis from the cannon connect, then it is likely because of the BB cannon design.

In their defense the carriages must have been different from the different cannon models and their lenghts. The cannon in the pic is one of the "newer" 24 pounders, the ones on the weatherdeck where others. Especially the 1 pounder has the axis further backwards due to the short length.

I think there must be some guesses about how the other cannons looked as they must have been the first cannons salvaged in the 1600's and therefore we only have the lists made of her weaponry.

/Matti

Yes mate,the pivot point.Yes I understand,essentially the pictured cannon is not one that fits on the kit carriages.I agree that Billings would have to make some educated guesses,especially at the time the kit was designed.I think they would have more likely produced a generic cannon enabling them to use this with Norske Love as well.As kit parts go though this is definitely one of the better representations on the kit market.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Yeah, the overall shape of the cannon is not bad, even if it is simplified and only in 2 versions, but I think it's expecting a lot to want all versions of cannons. Hopefully a descent paintjob will make them work well.

Carriages.The kit has 3 different kind of carriages, the one in the pic and one almost the same, only slightly smaller. The third is the old army two wheel carriage for the 2 one pounders. I do liked that idea, but I will use a carriage like the others, only slimmer (I have this option with my extra spare parts). That's the way the 1:10 has it, and it's the logical way to do it. It was hard to make cannons in the 1600's, but not to make practical carriages. The big 2 wheeler would be really impractical.

One of the cannons had no carriage and where just strapped to the deck. I will look into that and see how that would have worked.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Hi Matti:

Now I are beginning with the bow and seeing the instructions and drawings there is a piece that I have tried to figure out where it belongs, and although I have carefully reviewed your photos (page 38-40) in the forum  I could not identified it. There is a little arrow almost in the extreme right of the upper drawing but I dont thing it corresponds to it. Can you be so kind to tell me where it goes?

Thanks

post-797-0-99637100-1391641793_thumb.jpg

Hi Karleop,

I build this by eye and used reference pics and I didnt use the instructions for it much. I took the parts and compaired to the real ship. That way is better to try to get all different angles correctly aligned imo. The instruction images have some of the angles wrong. I posted pics you can use for it earlier in this thread.

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Thanks, I'll do the same. Although I must say that this picture intrigued me and I thought you'd know what it was.

Saludos

Hey all!

Making the cannons are more work then I thought. The wheels and axels are brass and I'm no fan of metal parts as they make painting and shaping much harder. So there is a lot of time just to sand them to make the paint bite.

Anyway the carriages are made of a total of 20 parts each (I still have to add the two locking parts that holds the cannon).

Painting them black was quite tricky as it's hard to get a realistic look with the details noticeable. It's a mixture with gray/black. Then highlighting edges and details with gray and finally blending them with brown/black washes. I wanted the wheels to look like they where rolled in dust/being worned so they are painted like the carriages. 

A few pics of the real cannons and carriages:

post-3739-0-75974800-1392046603.jpg

post-3739-0-45037100-1392046635_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-00013000-1392046861_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-02029100-1392046921_thumb.jpg

And here are mine so far:

post-3739-0-41689400-1392047017_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-73647600-1392047023_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-84018100-1392047013_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-86353400-1392047019_thumb.jpg

Still some painting left to do, and also there are some baking soda I need to clean off.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Thanks mate, thats a very kind comment that makes me happy!

I forgot to say that they ordered black paint for the carriers when they built her. One of the falconets had no carriage but where strapped to the deck and I will likely try to do that on my model also.

Cheers

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Matti,

You have made amazing carriages for your canons. When I am at that stage (hopefully soon) I will surely have a thorough look at your example to see how I could come near to yours.

Andre

Completed:

Catalina from Mamoli (1/32)

European small river ship (scratch build) (1/50)

Currently building: Wasa from Corel (1/75)

Future: Titanic (Mantua), Batavia (Kolderstok), Friesland (Mamoli), Bismarck (Hachette), Prins Willem (Corel)

Hi Matti,

There's a whole lot of work going on there mate and the results are really good, those cannon really look the part.

Very well done mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Phew, here's a pic of three finished cannons. There where many hours to get them the way I wanted and they are quite fragile.

post-3739-0-37847900-1392552083_thumb.jpg

I plan to simplify the cannon rigging, as I'm afraid to to make it look like someone throw a bunch of ropes over them at this scale. I still havent decide how to do it yet but I'm leaning thowards a rather simple setup. 

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Wow Matti, they look fantastic, the hours spent have not been wasted, well done mate.

Have you had any more thoughts on the deck mounted guns, are they anything like carronades, whichever it's going to be really interesting.

Good luck with the rigging of these little beauts.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Wow Matti, they look fantastic, the hours spent have not been wasted, well done mate.

Have you had any more thoughts on the deck mounted guns, are they anything like carronades, whichever it's going to be really interesting.

Good luck with the rigging of these little beauts.

Be Good

mobbsie

Thanks mobbsie, most appreciated! Do you mean cannons for the upper deck, if so these are the ones. Vasa had a mixed bag of howitzers and culverins. On the quarter deck there were also two falconets, one of them had no carriage and was strapped to the deck. Vasa was prepared for four swivel guns at the four round holes below the stern windows, but these where not delivered or mounted when she sank.

Nigel, cheers mate! Yeah I think a simplified rigging hopefully will keep the sense of scale.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Hi Matti

congratulations for the cannons... how much are there to be done? Looks fine and so realistic - you can almost hear the "Boooooooomm!"

All the best for you and your Wasa

Cheerio

Max

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?