Greetings from Missouri

poundemin59

About to start my first wooden ship- the Rattlesnake. Over the last 50 years I've built 3 sailing ships that I can remember. My first was the Golden Hind(no rigging and given to my grandmother). The next two were plastic 1:96 scale. Not sure what happened to the first and can't really remember how far along I got. I was a teenager with lots going on. The second was a few years after I got married to a woman with cats. One of them loved to play in the rigging. :( 

Now I plan on learning with the Rattlesnake and then I'll do one more Constitution. One thing I'm thinking about for the Rattlesnake is a diorama. I see few models of sailing vessels displayed this way. It's something to consider.

One thing I do plan on doing before I start the Constitution is to go up and actually see it in MA. Not sure if my wife and daughter-in-law will go but my son said we could go for a couple of days. 

I don't plan on putting a build log on here, mainly I doubt if there's anything I could show you guys besides my mistakes, but who knows down the road. 

When I ordered my the kit from Model Expo, I had a chance to talk the the guy there and he directed my to this site. Seemed like a real nice guy and I'm glad he sent me here.

Looking forward to the experience.

Welcome to MSW from another Missourian. I'd suggest that you do start a build log, as that's the primary way you'll be able to get help and advice from others. It's not really about "showing off", more about providing a clear documentation of what you've done so others can better follow along and help you. I also find that maintaining a log, while sometimes time-consuming, is also a really good motivational factor for keeping at the project. Having to think about and write up what I'm doing also serves as a self-fulfilling form of problem-solving.

In any case, good luck with your Rattlesnake!

Welcome from a former Missouri resident.  As Cathead suggested, do give thought to a build log.  It's not about the destination is about the voyage and sharing the experience.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to MSW from a fellow Missourian.  Rattlesnake is a very nice looking model you should enjoy that.  If you do make the trip to Boston to see Constitution be sure to go for more than a couple of days, there are so many great museums to see in New England.  I did about a two week trip a few years ago and had a blast.  Good luck with your Rattlesnake build!

John

future build: to finish Mary Rose

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8507-mary-rose-by-tarbrush-scale-172-1545/?hl=%2Bmary+%2Brose

completed builds:  Constructo Steam Launch Louise

Thanks for the welcome guys. As for the trip to Boston- time is the main issue. My son and I can only spare a few. He's saving as much of his vacation as he can for his upcoming honeymoon and I'm saving what I can for my trip to see my older son. We're thinking we can squeeze in a few days for this trip though. I work three twelves at the moment leaving me four days off a week so I think I can do a two day trip. One day for the ship and one for the museum. There's a lot more to see, I know, but I do what I can. Actually, going to Boston for any amount of time is pretty good for a paranoid old curmudgeon like me.  lol

Leonard

Welcome to MSW and greetings from Belgium

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum