Bluenose by dragzz - Model Shipways

Here's my new build model shipways Bluenose  already seeing issue with the keel parts don't meet at the bottom so I'm not sure what to do there I will upload picture of it

20190225_204715.jpg

iam not sure what to do here do i just sand the bottom to make it the same or could use some help thanks

hi mark thay seem fine at the top looks like i may just have to file it down a bit that wont bother the rabbit line will it  thank you for your reply mark

So last night I got the rabbit cut in bearding line almost done stole their little bit to do on the rabbit but it's coming along good and I got the Keel straightened out on the bottom so far it's coming along

20190228_111007.jpg

20190228_111002.jpg

20190228_110955.jpg

so far the build is going well iam working off the plans  the instruction book is a bit off it seems to work off the plans is much better modelship ways needs to update  the book with the plans and some of the parts do not fit right at all looks like to me i will need cut and made some of my own parts not likeing that part at all lol

So far I've got the bulkheads glued in place it's a slow process what they're all aligned in nice and straight so far so good if you see anything wrong please let me know here are some pictures

20190306_171128.jpg

20190306_171133.jpg

20190306_171139.jpg

20190306_171159.jpg

Had a little mishap happened last night cat was jumping around caught the back of the boat and broke it right off so on this boat at the back when building it be very careful because it will break off very easily that's one part of the ship that really needs to be strengthened up first before you work on it at the back at all just letting other people know

Dragzz,

Looks good. I see you reinforced the weak spot at the rudder post that most of us broke along the way. Repair looks fine and should hold. Looking at the false keel, it appears you may need some additional shaping at the stern. The rabbet should extend to the bearding line (the curve you show in the first pics). This is a fine taper so that the planked hull will be the same width as the rudder post. Keep up the good work.

Dave B

Current build: HMS Pegasus, English Pinnace (on hold)

Completed build: MS BluenoseSkippercraft

Thank you for that info I'll get right to that but I have one problem that I'm looking at I need to install the main rail my plans it does not show any pictures that I have to cut the main rail so I'm not sure if it's a straight piece or if it's curved in some sections I figured I could just cut it from the plans and put it on the peace wood cut it out but it does not show that so I'm kind of stuck right there

2 hours ago, dragzz said:

I have one problem that I'm looking at I need to install the main rail my plans it does not show any pictures that I have to cut the main rail so I'm not sure if it's a straight piece or if it's curved in some sections

Use the forum search field above to search for other build logs of Bluenose. There are many, pick a couple that did a very good job and read all the way through, doing so will make your build go much more smoothly.

Well good news I figured out that  top rail going to start cutting at out Kevin top rail on I'm hoping to start the planking here real soon I still have to fix the rabbit where meets the bearding line first time I've ever done it but I'll get that fixed up and continue on

• 4 weeks later...

Well I am now starting to put the waterways in the place and get the rest of the framing done and hopefully I can start getting to the plank and Stage leave a comment if you'd like or see something wrong here are some pictures for you

20190403_145559.jpg

20190403_145607.jpg

20190403_145613.jpg

20190403_145623.jpg

20190403_145633.jpg

It looks like you have a good start here.  The only suggestion that I would have, is to reinforce the keel joints before you start the planking. Since the keel is not one continuous piece and it's essentially just joined with butt joints, I would glue reinforcing blocks of plywood to each face of those joints. (Similar to the blocks for the mast holes.)  The frame would be both stronger and more likely to remain straight.  To tell the truth, I am surprised that the instructions for these kits with multiple keel pieces don't suggest this simple piece of advice.  A butt joint of such thin material is one of the weakest joints, regardless of that jogged joint line.

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

I'm working on this same kit (build log coming shortly). I reinforced my keel with scrap wood and also used bits of scrap to create reinforcing struts between the bulkheads and also added a couple of blobs of green stuff putty to that narrow keel section in the stern to further strengthen it when it came time for fairing.

It looks like you're well on your way with this one. I really enjoyed planking mine, and the rabit that I cut into my keel wasn't nearly so nice as the one you've made.

Edited by Tector

Under Construction

HMAV  Bounty, Artesania Latina, 1/48 Scale

Completed

18th Century Long Boat, Model Shipways, 1/48 Scale

Drift boat, scratch build, c. 1/12 Scale

Bluenose, Model Shipways, 1/64 Scale

thank you tector and welcome to my build log top rail is not so fun i will leave till after i get it planked then i will work on the top rail

The top rail is a little intimidating and takes some thought but once you get a process down it's not so bad. You'll do just dandy, I am sure!

Under Construction

HMAV  Bounty, Artesania Latina, 1/48 Scale

Completed

18th Century Long Boat, Model Shipways, 1/48 Scale

Drift boat, scratch build, c. 1/12 Scale

Bluenose, Model Shipways, 1/64 Scale

• 2 months later...

TOk here some work done to the blue nose I got it in black paint lots of coats of clear well it came out looking beautiful

20190609_154151.jpg

20190609_154146.jpg

20190609_154129.jpg

• 6 months later...

I don't know what's wrong with this blue nose build nothing seems to be fitting right the top rail I am having one heck of a Time nothing seems to be fitting right 

I decided to build my cap rail from 2 pieces of wood: one for the port side and one for the starboard.

I purchased a 3" or 4" wide basswood board of the proper thickness, laid it on top of the bulwarks and traced a line for the arc. Cut the outside arc, then set my dividers for the proper width and drew the inboard line. Then measured from the plans for the two areas (on each side) where the rail is a bit wider and transfered those to the board. Then adjusted the inboard line to accommodate these wider parts and made the final cut.

When drawing the outboard and inboard lines, be sure to adjust the width to accommodate the proper overhang.

I think there are some pictures on my build log if you think this will work for you.

Dave

Current build: NRG Half Hull

Previous build: MS Bluenose 

thanks cpddet i will have a look at your log this not fun little bit of time allways works in the end thanks again

I have a question about the blue nose again can anyone tell me the length of the bow Spirit and the size cuz it does not say it in the book or the plans I just don't see it

• 1 year later...

This is where iam with the bluenose now thanks Dave got the masts cuts to right  Length I still have lots to do just thot i share where iam at   Comment always welcome

20210131_201657.jpg

20210131_201702.jpg

20210131_201713.jpg

Edited by dragzz