Was a mechanical device that held the Anchor from the Cat, that could be released quickly, usually involving a chain and a rotating hook, sometimes it was just a sacrificial line that was cut with an ax. The Anchor could not let go when hanging from the lifting tackle on the Cat. Have found little about these vital devices, suspect there were many designs and methods. Aboard the Ammen DD 527 the anchor hung from a stopper equipped with a Pelican Hook that was released by striking it's holding clip with a sledge, enough drag on the brake was used to stop the run-out when the anchor bottomed so a pile of chain did not bury it. The details of anchoring using man power in the days of old seem to be few.

Image result for anchor pelican hook

6 hours ago, Gregory said:

Here is a quick release from Zu Mondfeld.

Thanks again Gregory. However, like you, I have no idea how that works :)

6 hours ago, jud said:

Was a mechanical device that held the Anchor from the Cat, that could be released quickly, usually involving a chain and a rotating hook,

Thanks Jud, interesting to know.

Hi Gregory, those 'trick stoppers' as they are known; this one being a 'Spencer' design, were a 19th century release mechanism.  Other similar designs used a pressure plate instead of a swiveling lever, and others used different types of 'tumbler' mechanisms amongst other options to release the anchor.  This is the mechanism I went with for my build of HMCSS Victoria (1855)

I have included better pictures of the Spencer Trick Stopper, so you can see how it worked.  Sorry to hijack the thread Vossie - but I thought this may useful to others at some time?

cheers

Ppat

662517208_SpencerAnchorSlip.thumb.png.ac30cfe5e925d79b28e3c443455270df.png2085262114_SpencerTrickStopperRigged.jpg.76e1186480310a94c1d840b0720ca0c4.jpg

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

4 hours ago, BANYAN said:

I have included better pictures of the Spencer Trick Stopper, so you can see how it worked.

Thanks Pat, makes sense now.

I haven't seen real detail about how anchors were released and stowed, what I've found in Seamanship discusses ship movements and actions of the ship, but not the details of what happened with the anchor. I am thinking that the cat hook would have to be removed from it, and then the served rope was released at the same time as any other lashings that held the anchor in place. Is that correct?

When getting ready to let go, the anchor would have been hanging on the quick release only, the Cat lifting tackle would have been used to rig the quick release and then the anchor was lowered until it was suspended on the release chain, the Cat block would have then been lowered until the hook could be released and the whole rig secured out of the way. Should not be any lashings holding the anchor at this point except the Anchor Buoy which would have enough line to allow the Buoy to float at high tide while being secured to the anchor on the bottom. What we used for the Buoy was a 3"50 can, painted red with the tether line around it like the thread on a spool. It was held by a Seaman and tossed overboard when the anchor was let go, it spun the line off as the anchor fell, leaving the Buoy on the surface. Modern yes, something similar must have been done 200 years ago. heck it worked, why change anything but the materials.

On 4/21/2019 at 5:21 PM, jud said:

Was a mechanical device that held the Anchor from the Cat, that could be released quickly, usually involving a chain and a rotating hook, sometimes it was just a sacrificial line that was cut with an ax. The Anchor could not let go when hanging from the lifting tackle on the Cat. Have found little about these vital devices, suspect there were many designs and methods. Aboard the Ammen DD 527 the anchor hung from a stopper equipped with a Pelican Hook that was released by striking it's holding clip with a sledge, enough drag on the brake was used to stop the run-out when the anchor bottomed so a pile of chain did not bury it. The details of anchoring using man power in the days of old seem to be few.

Image result for anchor pelican hook

This is a Channel stoppen, Not at quick Release gear to let go. When a chain is under strain, it may be difficult to unfasten stoppers to pay out more chain, or to heave in the anchor. Hence a quick release hook that opens under strain.

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Photo of the Sullivans DD 537, a Fletcher Class , I rode the Ammen DD 527 same Class, same Ground Gear, we used the Gear as shown as I described, I knocked the keeper off of the Hook several times when I was on the deck force. We would take up any slack in the chain and set the brake, back off the turn Buckle and remove the hook from the chain, ease off the brake and let the anchor clear the Hawse Hole and reset the Pelican Hook, ease off on the brake and leave the load on the Pelican Hook and Turnbuckle as shown In my above post. When the word from the Bridge came down, a sledge was used to unlatch the Hook allowing it to open and the chain ran out with little drag from the brake. That gear is what held the anchor when out and also held the anchor up in the Hawse Hole, the brake was not set. So I will argue about the Pelican Hook being used as a quick release. 

http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviation/USSTheSullivans/DeckViews/images/21AnchorChain.jpg

2 hours ago, jud said:

Pelican Hook being used as a quick release. 

...But not found on a cat head of an 18th century boat.. 

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Who knows, something was fabricated and they are simple enough to have been forged then. But you are right, I included it as an example not a footnote of history unless you consider my experiences of 1960 as history. The Collett DD 730 left her anchor here aboard the Ammen DD 527 19 July 1960, another 1960 event I have memory's of. 

http://www.navsource.org/archives/05/pix1/0552728.jpg

Edited by jud

Regarding the concept of three turns of line on a windlas or Capstan, or any cylindrical object, you need to understand the term “Tailing”. Three turns around the cylinder provide a long  “bearing surface” where the surface of line and the surface of the windlas or Capstan are in contact. If the circumference of the cylinder or Capstan is 36”, three turns of line taken around it give 108” of bearing surface- this is where the friction occurs. But there can be no real friction unless the turns remain tight on the drum. You can lead your anchor line from the haws hole to the Capstan or windlass and take three turns around it and then you can start turning your Capstan or windlass but those three turns are NOT going to grip the cylinder unless someone is “Tailing” the line. A person “Tailing” is merely pulling on the inboard end of the line. Not very strenuously but just enough to hold the turns tight to the drum and activate the friction of the three turns. Once the friction bites the line,the Capstan or windlas begins to take up the line that’s on it.The person Tailing acts like a clutch and can halt the process of taking in the line merely by slacking the line on his end. 

Niagara USS Constitution