These discussions tend to become wishlists for everyone and I appreciate that you share your thoughts and views on the future developments. Its interesting to follow how Vanguards grow and prosper.  I also think it generates interests in your products and so far, you havent disappointed anyone in what has come out. 

As i understand your business model is that you produce high quality ships mostly in the 1:64 range and try to re-invent how these models are designed with new solutions which makes them more easy to build. And its not the cheap stuff but it still has to be cost effective so we can afford it but it hurts the wallet abit... 

And also, there seam to be 3 main types of products:

1) Royal navy 1750-1800

2) Fishing boats and yachts

3) Smaller stuff to pimp up existing kits

I think its better to have a company profile rather than just doing random kits. I would probably keep up with what you have done so far and make sure you have a great lineup for each of you types of products. Eventually adding a 4th type with a series of kits. I dont know what kits you makes most money of. But you should definitely keep that in mind so Vanguards can grow and perhaps you can employ help to expand. 

Once i finished a couple of my existing builds i will definitely buy a new kit from you. Not sure which one yet though....

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

HMS Surprise! That’s the best thing I have read on the internet in ages.

Just wondering if there are any plans to have a (reliable) distributor in the Southern Hemisphere. I’d love to start building some of your kits but the postage cost from the UK is very high (which you would expect for such heavy boxes). That’s not a criticism, just an observation. 
Australia is the obvious choice, but there are a few companies here in NZ that stock model boats. Mighty Ape (NZ version of Amazon) could be an option as they already stock a couple of other major brands.

Thanks from little old New Zealand.

In response to James H’s earlier post, I thought one of the points of this site was for Chis to discuss the future and existing development of his range with member and to gauge their responses, that will inevitably end up something of a ‘wish list’, but it does help Chris to take into account modelers likes and dislikes and that in turn helps him to plan future projects which he can be confident in selling. 

I have always said that when starting my own business, designing and producing new stuff, the subjects would be models that I have always wanted to do. Most are famous, can be found in most books on the subject and have good histories (although Surprise only had a action packed career in fiction). There are only a couple of subjects I would eventually like to revisit, but for the most part, I like to concentrate on stuff that hasn't been kitted before, from the 17th to early 19th Century.

When a model is developed, you have put a lot of time into this one subject, at the very least months, if not a year or so of your life, and a lot of money. You have to really like the subject to go through this. Almost a labour of love..

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

22 minutes ago, AlanDavison said:

In response to James H’s earlier post, I thought one of the points of this site was for Chis to discuss the future and existing development of his range with member and to gauge their responses, that will inevitably end up something of a ‘wish list’, but it does help Chris to take into account modelers likes and dislikes and that in turn helps him to plan future projects which he can be confident in selling. 

I think the point of this is that Chris has made it abundantly clear many times what his plans are with regard to his larger naval vessels (period etc), and that countless requests for ironclads and yachts, as well as the multitude of typically unknown vessels, simply won't fly. Discussion should revolve around announcements/releases etc. 

On this note, Chris has asked me to lock this topic so he can start a fresh one. This one is currently 78 pages!