Royal Navy standardization

Are rigging, and belaying, plans for the same type of vessel relatively interchangeable between ships of similar size, class and time period, in the Royal Navy?

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Awesome!  Thank you!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

The biggest problem for me has always been finding specifics on belaying points.  Anderson gives some written details and drawings as does Lees and a few others, but these are far from complete.   Before the use of belaying pins, the information is even more scarce. If there is a source of definitive information on belaying points, I would love to see it.   It would be great if someone had the time to trace rigging lines on various contemporary models and prepare a complete treatice and drawings on where all the lines are belayed for various rates, nations, and time periods.       

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Longridge's The Anatomy of Nelson's Ships,  has very detailed belaying information..

I would think this information would apply to a lot of different rig types..

I remember discussing how sailors had to be able to work the rigging in the dark and all weather conditions.

Having standardization across types of rigs would have been important when considering a sailors ability to move from one ship to another..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Gregory,

Longridge is indeed clear on belaying points for a first rate of the late 18th and early 19th century, but the types of rigging are extremely different than earlier periods so I assume (which is often a mistake) belaying points will vary, especially as there were no pin rails for much of the 18th century and earlier.   

Druxey, if I was closer to Annapolis and could spend week or so there taking photos and sketching lines to their belaying points, that would be a super project.  I do have a lot of photos of many of the models there, but I never took any with the mindset of preparing rigging drawings.   Maybe this would be a good project for Grant Walker and/or the model club that meets and works in their shop :>)    Same could be said for someone in Paris or Holland et al to put together something on those nations.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU