HMS Prince 1670 by Captainhash - Constructo - Scale 1:61 - First wooden ship build

Hello,so over the years I have built many a plastic model from planes to cars to rc nitro to rc planes 28mm war miniatures I decided it was time to attempt  my first wooden ship the constructo prince 1670. Any help and tips  as I progress I will greatly appreciated. I found this forum searching for previous builds of this model and found spider pigs build log which is helping quite a bit( more for reassurance that I'm following destructions correctly) regards Ash. Here's progress so far 

DSC_4383.JPG

DSC_4382.JPG

DSC_4381.JPG

DSC_4380.JPG

DSC_4379.JPG

Okay so layed down first deck instructions say to sand deck. So when I finish sanding lower deck should I clear varnish it?what's best varnish to use, satin, gloss,? Sanding does make sense now as I was looking in kit for the white looking deck wood and stuff supplied was a bit dark getting lighter now after sanding was checking for ages I was using right bundle of wood for decking.

DSC_4386.JPG

Looks great. Off to a good start. Everything looks neat.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Well done so far, deck detail looks good.

One thing I would suggest (based on experience) is to apply masking tape to the bow platform decking, to protect it. This is because by the time you are ready to finally finish that area, the hull will have gone through a lot of abuse with the two lots of planking, gluing and sanding.

If fact, it may be worth re-planking the front half round deck after you have completed the first planking. This is because the lighter first planking wood edges will be seen on the finished model, whereas if you re-plank after completing the first planking, the edges will be finished off with the same colour second planking.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Thanks for advise I was thinking the bow deck at front looked like it would prob get messed up when I start filing the overhang and keel supports ready for the Hull planking. The Hull planking part is what I'm probs nervous about most! I have noted in kit they have provided a veneer second layer for the bottom Hull so hopefully that hides any mess ups started practicing with a bending tool I bought other day results are mixed 😂 

15588658901653136644083109868903.jpg

Also quite happy that most of the lower deck on this model won't be seen so allowed me to practice and learn errors so that hopefully the main deck comes out a bit neater. Next task adding the Wales. I see on another post same ship he decided to paint Wales black is this so that makes the cannons stand out more? Also probs a bit early on but will 1/72 scale miniatures fit this scale as will be hoping to add crews for cannons ect 

Edited by Captainhash

I can't really tell, but given the scale of your ship (1:61) and the average size of men back then (66") he should be about 1.1 inches in height, if that helps at all.........Chris Watton may be making some figures in 1:64 that also might be suitable for your purposes......You're doing a great job so far, BTW!  Steve M