18th Century Armed Longboat by CurtisF - Model Shipways - Scale 1:24 - Small

Welcome to the Armed Longboat group Curtis! Looks like you're off to a great start, your fairing looks great! If you don't mind constructive criticism, you might want to recheck frames F, C, 1,5, and 7. From the last picture they look like they are not level with the rest of the frames. You might consider repositioning them before you start planking, these frames will cause you a lot of grief later in the build. If you used CA, they should be easy to break free and straighten out. I'm subscribing to your build and looking forward to watching your progress!

Current Build: Gunboat Philadelphia

Completed Build:  MS 18th Century Armed Longboat

Welcome Curtis to the group building the 18th Century Armed Longboat.  I hope your build goes well and if you have any questions, there are several of us in the process of building this boat.  There have been a number of surprises found by the group members which you might want to read about in member logs.  Paul

Paul

Cutty Sark, Scientific Models (no build log)

18th Century Armed Longboat, Model Shipways

Civil War Coffee Wagon and Limber, Model Shipways side project

New Bedford Whaleboat, Model Shipways

Civil War Gatling Gun, Model Shipways side project

Thanks for the warm welcome. I have been reading some of the build logs which should make this build a bit easier. I removed the strongback yesterday to fix the frames as Arthur Wayne suggested and lo and behold frames 5 and 7 straightened out. After I fix the others I think I'll go with supports like he used.

• 1 month later...

After killing a forest of trees I'm finally done with the planking. It got a bit easier as I went along. I still have a lot to learn as you can see by the wood filler. I planned on painting the hull anyway so I don't mind that it's not perfect. A lot of sanding still left to be done but that's the fun part. I get to take out my frustrations with a sanding block. Any tips and comments would be greatly appreciated.

20190728_151637_HDR.jpg

20190728_151710_HDR.jpg

20190728_151714_HDR.jpg

20190728_151710_HDR.jpg

20190728_151724.jpg

20190728_151702_Burst22.jpg

• 3 months later...

There's a number of build logs in the quick find index in the small boats sections: Quick Find Index to Build Logs

I have some pretty good photos in my build log of these areas (see link in my signature) , though I don't know that they will answer your questions they might help. 

Current Build: Gunboat Philadelphia

Completed Build:  MS 18th Century Armed Longboat

Although they are not the best pictures, there are some photos of the bow and stern in my build log that might be helpful.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.