What different styles can you paint "Nelsons Navy" ?

I am building several ships in this series. In one way i want my ships to be consistent but at the same time i want variation.  Kind of boring to paint everything exactly as the classical Victory look: Black, yellow, and copper. 

So do you have any suggestions on alternative looks? 

Please add photos.

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

I wouldn't be surprised if this topic has been approached before on this site some where some time in the past. Another source would be to GOOGLE various maritime art painters to see what they are using. Geoff Hunt would be a good one to start with. There are books out there that show painters art. One is The Tall Ship in Art by Alex A. Hurt. The colors don't always vary that much, but the patterns on how they are applied to the vessel do. 

Scott

I find the most attractive style is to paint the lower wale black, varnish the hull above, and paint the area above the upper rails black or blue. Before 'Nelson's Chequers', the fashion was actually to paint most of the hulls a red ochre. But looks so much better just varnished..

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Check out 'dafi's' thread on HMS VICTORY: he reviews the changing paint schemes as per the latest research on her, analysing the various layers of paint. Depends on what you want: historical accuracy (if such can be achieved) or something that pleases as a piece of craft.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

My Victory is basically set. It will look like a wasp similar to the original, besides from the yellow might not be completely correct. My Snake will be similar in style but with red carronades. After that I am not sure. 

I dont think my models need to be accurate.  I just want them looking good,  accurate enuff , and with some variation so that each one feels unique but being part of a series.

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

Here is a kind of basic catalogue:

pinturas_navios.jpg.7e22be00458baf0c1853a002186ca0a2.jpg

F is earliest, ~mid 18-th century, A is closer to end of the Napoleonic Wars and beyond.

Yellow can be replaced by red, white or the tan color they recently repainted the Victory with.

Ships with red stripe sometimes had thin white delimiting stripes above or above and below:

pw4765.thumb.jpg.5734f7348f04c7947371fc03670f9b08.jpg

Edited by Martes

On 7/10/2019 at 2:01 AM, Martes said:

Here is a kind of basic catalogue:

pinturas_navios.jpg.7e22be00458baf0c1853a002186ca0a2.jpg

F is earliest, ~mid 18-th century, A is closer to end of the Napoleonic Wars and beyond.

Yellow can be replaced by red, white or the tan color they recently repainted the Victory with.

Ships with red stripe sometimes had thin white delimiting stripes above or above and below:

pw4765.thumb.jpg.5734f7348f04c7947371fc03670f9b08.jpg

Thanx exactly what i was looking for!