USS Enterprise by JimArr - Constructo - Scale 1:50 - 1980s version

Hi all.  I am a new member and this is my first build thread.  First a bit of history.  I bought this kit back in 1991 while serving in the USAF and stationed in Zaragosa, Spain.  Started building it in the mid 90s after having completed the Liberty by Artesania Latina.  Also purchased in Spain.  The kit was horrible.  The instructions were non existent.  The wood questionable.  However, the plans were fair and the quality of the carronades was outstanding.  With the help of several books I made a start.  Very quickly I realized that I would have to scratch build most of the parts and provide my own wood.  About the only parts of the kit I used was the false keel and the frames.  I replaced all the planks and decking with basswood.  I used different colors of stain for the wales, decking, and lower planking.  I had reached the point where I needed to cut out the gun ports when I lost interest and put it away.  After 20 years of model railroading and RC airplanes I happened upon some videos of ship models on Youtube.  Next thing I knew I had pulled it out of storage and realized it didn't look too bad.   Starting cutting out the gun ports and next thing I knew I had found this forum.  I don't know if I will have the fortitude at this point to stay at it until it is finished but I plan to ride out my interest until it moves to something else.  If there is interest in this project, I will keep my progress up to date.  I have taken some pictures of my current progress but need to learn how to post them.

Jim

Thanks guys.  The cradle I made from some scrap home foam insulation board I had leftover from some RC airplane and model railroad projects.  It works pretty well.  

I do have a building question. How would you all recommend gluing the channels on?  The plans just show them glued to the side of the hull but that seems might flimsy.    I have used a lot of fishing hooks for the eyelets for the carronades.  So I was thinking of using some of the waste left over from the hooks to make pins to glue in the side of the channels and then into the side of the hull to help anchor them.   Is there a better way?

Jim

I built this kit and glued the channels onto to the side at the bottom of the top rail (if that makes sense). The two-point gluing and the chains add support and I've never had any issue with them, though I don't do much with my completed model other than look at it and occasionally dust. 

Under construction: Mamoli Roter Lowe

Completed builds: Constructo Enterprise, AL Le Renard

Up next: Panart Lynx, MS Harriet Lane

In need of attention: 14-foot Pintail in the driveway

I have only found their Spanish website, www.constructo.es.  They make an updated version of the same kit today.  Model Expo now carries it, too.  I have the same kit you have sitting on a shelf waiting to be built.  So I will follow your progress with great interest.

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

Matt,

I have seen the updated kit on Model Expo and several threads here and Youtube videos.  It appears to be much better than mine.  The price of the updated kit is a lot more than i paid for mine.  IIRC I paid around $75 retail in a Spanish Department store in 1991.  I am glad to have as many as possible along as I am sure I will need much advice.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jim - a reciprocal greeting! Good to see a fellow rc aircraft builder her on this forum. I dont feel so bad at having almost vanished from rcgroups 😉.

Poor kits seem quite common in the ship arena but it can give one scope to improvise and make it your own. My A.S. Endeavour can be made into a fine model as many on this forum have done but it is not a great kit - lacking in the instruction area mostly. But, research and some imagination can work wonders.........I'll keep watching.

Pat

Building: Artesania Latina Endeavour

Billings Roar Edge

Seriously thinking: Fairmile B launch (powered)

Bucket List: Dyfken, Beagle, Endurance

Thanks all.  

Pat,  the Enterprise has virtually no instructions and the instructions it had stop once the hull is planked.  Everything has to be interpreted from the plans.  And I am really doing some creative interpretation as I opened and started this kit so long ago.  Matching up some of the strips of wood that are left is quite a challenge.  However,  since I planked the hull using basswood I have plenty of left over material.  So far I have been able to avoid using paint.  All of the contrasting colors are obtained by using different color stains.  However,  I must decide soon if I want to paint the carronades black or leave them natural brass.  What do you guys think?

Jim

BTW Pat,  your Endeavor looks fantastic.  Surely it is not your first model!!!

Hi Jim,

Great start - even if it was many years ago. I am currently building the Enterprise myself. I started back in 2010 and work on her has my work load permits. The new version instruction are not much better than what you described the old are like, I have thrown mine in a drawer somewhere. There are several completed builds of the new kit here, do a search in this forum. You should be able to get a feel for what the instructions say from those builds.

I am currently on a crazy work schedule at the moment but I do check in every few of days on a couple of PM conversations I have going. If you run into trouble shoot me a PM and I will help where I can but it may be a few days before I respond.

Link to my build below.

Best,

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise