Serving/seizing twine

Hi All,

Im building an AL 1:41 Virginia and am heading towards the rigging stage. Can someone recommend a twine to seize shrouds and serve splices etc. Ive heard 3/0 nylon fly line is suitable but have never seen anything remotely similar.

Many thanks in advance, Ill get to posting some pics in the next few days.

I'd say not nylon.  Find the smallest (thinnest) cotten thread you can.  Try a sewing shop.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I have been wondering the same thing. Beef wellington (Jason) said this is what he uses:

"The fine thread is UNI-Thread W 6/0 Tan - not sure what that means, but that's what's on the reel!  Nothing fancy, think I picked it up at a local craft store some time ago, its synthetic so need to use GS-Hypo cement rather than PVA if it needs to be secured."

I would think the caution about the glue would also apply to fishing line. The GS-Hypo cement is something jewelers have used since the 1930s. It is supposed to not harden and remain flexible. I haven't used it myself but I will look for it at the local crafts store.

Edited by Dr PR

I’ve found silk fly-tying thread works well. For clarity, that’s the stuff fly fishermen use to tie their lures and it can be obtained in a variety of gauges and colours including black and brown. The higher the gauge number, the finer the thread - 18/0 is the finest I’ve found. 

Fly fishing suppliers also sell a glue that sounds very similar to the jewellery product Dr PR mentioned in his earlier post. I’ve found this works well when used on seizings made with silk thread. 

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

I found the Danish Veevus (http://veevus.com/) the best and they have a good range of colours and sizes. For seizings you may also use the monofiliment, which is the finest 'thread' (it is a wire, strictly speaking) I am aware of - but it only comes in black and translucent. Check out ebay for offers.

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Here's the thread and glue I use, both from The Essential Fly:

881956227_Flythread.thumb.JPG.8add1e0a3b140ee05075c505bd6488a0.JPG

You can see a strand of the thread across the white bottle cap. According to my micrometer it's 0.03mm/.001" - roughly the diameter of thin human hair.

Derek

Edited by DelF
Correction

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat