Brand new modeller

Welcome to the forum.  It probably is Chinese....what brand of kit is it because we have a ban on some Chinese kits because they are pirated from legitimate manufacturers.

A good place to start is here....click on this topic below.

If you have any questions about it please contact me and I can tell you if it is in fact a banned or pirated kit.  We do not allow these to be built on our site for obvious reasons.  If its the one I am thinking of (huasong) which is only about 20" long then you will have hard time building it.  The kit itself is not a copy BUT......Its an awful kit and although it is cheap,  you will get very frustrated trying to build it.  This particular company does have a pirated copy of two other smaller subjects....a Harvey kit and an albatross kit.   And because of this they are banned from our site.  These were copied from long standing MFGs.   Better to start with a smaller and simpler subject from a quality MFG rather than a 3 decker 100 gun ship in a very small scale from cheap Chinese site.   Not really recommended for a first time model builder.

Chuck 

Gidday Jeffrey D and a warm welcome from the Land Downunder.

I do not wish to dissuade you from this extremely rewarding and challenging pastime but these kits are cheap for a reason. The quality is abysmal and they are usually pirated. I believe the only thing you will learn from these kits is frustration and regret. In my opinion you are far better off saving your money and searching for a beginners kit in the build logs.

I wish you only the best in your search.

Mark.

Welcome aboard Jeff!  Bluejackets Dory kit is well priced and easy to finish if you ask me.  It was my first kit and came out decent.  Best of luck!

14 hours ago, Chuck said:

Welcome to the forum.  It probably is Chinese....what brand of kit is it because we have a ban on some Chinese kits because they are pirated from legitimate manufacturers.

A good place to start is here....click on this topic below.

If you have any questions about it please contact me and I can tell you if it is in fact a banned or pirated kit.  We do not allow these to be built on our site for obvious reasons.  If its the one I am thinking of (huasong) which is only about 20" long then you will have hard time building it.  The kit itself is not a copy BUT......Its an awful kit and although it is cheap,  you will get very frustrated trying to build it.  This particular company does have a pirated copy of two other smaller subjects....a Harvey kit and an albatross kit.   And because of this they are banned from our site.  These were copied from long standing MFGs.   Better to start with a smaller and simpler subject from a quality MFG rather than a 3 decker 100 gun ship in a very small scale from cheap Chinese site.   Not really recommended for a first time model builder.

Chuck 

Thanks for making me aware

Hello and welcome. Model Shipways makes some good models that are priced well with excellent instructions for a beginner. They are sold on the Model Expo website here: https://modelexpo-online.com/ 

Good Luck!

Matt

Completed Builds: Viking Drakkar - Amati - Scale 1:50

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways - Scale 1:48

Model Shipways will also replace any parts that are broken or missing, your fault or theirs.

Their Sultana was my first real ship model.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me