Lee Valley Veritas Hand Joinery

Received the latest catalog from Lee Valley the other day and came across this interesting hand joiner jig for their medium shoulder play which might be useful for us ship modelers.  Veritas Hand Joinery

05P4180-veritas-hand-jointer-u-0146.thumb.jpg.3953e932f45cfc524d9fe0297cf63299.jpg 

Edited by Jack12477

From the photo above looks like it could be used to taper or thickness plane small stock as well as square off stock. 

It appears to be simply a fence that permits jointing small stock. I'm not sure what advantage it offers over simply clamping a piece of wood or sheet metal to the side of the plane or sandwiching the sheet of wood or sheet metal and the plane in a vise to achieve the same at no cost to the user. Those are the old "tricks of the trade" for the same application.

Yes Bob, I was thinking the same thing.  I have the miniature Veritas shoulder plane and was thinking I could fabricate something similar that would work with the miniature plane.  

I totally agree with the comments above. The only reason I would consider buying it is because it would force me to purchase their shoulder plane and although I love tools it’s way too expensive. Also, my wife would destroy me when the credit card bill arrived...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

I like most Lee Valley tools, but this is what I call an 'executive' tool.  Sure, it does a nice job, but there are  substantially less expensive ways to get the same results.  I could set up my trusty old Stanley 60-1/2 to do that in a jiffy.

By the way, I'd probably tack-glue the stock on to a larger board, or cut a board with a recess to carry the stock across the plane. It would be safer and easier to plane the small stuff.  Another way is to glue one end of the stock on a board, plane it to shape, and then cut/chip off the glued end.

Edited by Bob Blarney

The Veritas rabbet plane and fence look like an invitation to break the old tool buying rule, "don't buy it until you need it." Factory mass production of doors, among other things, spelled the eventual demise of the shoulder plane. It's only in recent times when artisanal woodworking has experienced something of a revival that the versatile shoulder (rabet) plane has been rediscovered and again appreciated. It's a handy tool to have if you have to work rabets or trim tenons across the grain for a perfect fit.  Stanley's #90 series rabet planes are again in production (now in a somewhat redesigned version from the original,) as are the pricey Veritas version and others from the new group of "jewelry hand tool" boutique manufacturers competing for the more well-heeled segment of the amateur market eager to pay three times the price and more for fancy stuff.  ("Our products won't make you a better woodworker, but we guarantee they'll make you look like one.") The Stanley #90 series and their clones have bodies that come apart so that they can serve double-duty as a bull-nosed and/or chisel plane for working into corners. They are one of those "you don't need it often, but when you do, it's the only thing that will do the job" sort of plane.

Of course, if you have a Byrnes table saw, you'll never have a need to be jointing quarter inch square stock with a plane, now will you? :D 

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan11.htm

http://www.oldtooluser.com/TypeStudy/stanno93rptypestudy.htm

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-12-140-No-92-Shoulder-Chisel/dp/B002B56CVS/ref=asc_df_B002B56CVS/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584001418834016&psc=1

View a Larger Image of Rabbet Plane, No. 93

Than I would rather have one of these in miniature ...

large_15082341993561.jpg.06f0a4efa41ee931dc874c4416772b7a.jpg

for other purposes you might be cheaper of with an aluminum strip and some wood with e.g. an Axminster Bull nose plane or the equivalent of Veritas

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Yes In US and Canada the A2 blade is 3/32 inch or roughly  2.381 mm, if my conversion is correct . That seems to be the only offering size

Edited by Jack12477