Bluenose II by Penfold - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1:75 - second build for a newbie so any advice welcome

Nice work Sir!!

Brings back fond memories....

Ditto on the Deckhouses. (Minatare Joinery.)

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Hi Penfold

If you can try and remove the pins, they are only used to hold the plank while the glue sets, then fill the holes and then sand the hull you might find it a lot easier. 

If some of them you cant remove then just sand down as you have done. 

And as Phil said your deck furniture is coming along nicely.

Regards

Richard 

Hi Chap,

Had a look at the width/thickness of the Keel, thought that's not right.... You've fixed it, looks good.

Regarding the gaps between Keel and Hull, Walnut Filler if you are not going to paint, you won.t notice the fillet of filler once sanded.

My thing that I have learnt with A/L stuff is to place the Keel after the 1st Planking is complete, more learned members may have a different opinion regarding sequence? 

Wot Gaps? 🙂

Your choice between Paint or not.

Looks great regardless.

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Thanks Hof.

I appreciate the support.

When I was dry fitting the keel there was a gap between it and the false keel, and the two main keel pieces didn’t link particularly well.

I was finding it difficult to know whether it all went together well or not as the pieces are just loose. I decided to join the two main keel pieces together (after sanding to achieve a better join). This enabled me to place it against the hull to see where wood needed to be removed. I could then be more confident with the two for’ard keel pieces.

This appears to be one of the differences between wooden models and plastic models.

With plastic, we get used to everything being a perfect fit and it’s an outcry when something fits poorly.

With wooden, I guess it’s less of an exact science. Each of us will have a very slightly different shape hull and I think they build in tolerances which the modeller has to adjust for, and spend a bit of time sanding to achieve the required fit.

Hi Chap,

Had a look-see at my version of BN II,

I think that the Keel is of correct proportions.... (My BN is the the older A/L kit)

Yup, Fillers, maybe a judicial plank/s faired in?

(I think my BN II is on this site? If not, I'll post some pictures.)

Your Planking looks great, mine not so good, it  was my second ever wooden ship build. (Paint covers a myriad of errors.... 🙂)

Maybe "Pin" the Keel also with Dowel/Toothpicks to add strength?

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Thanks Hof.

I’d seen the idea of the dowel for the keel on Mugje’s Pegasus build. Anything that involves  drilling holes in the boat requires much plucking up of courage before it actually happens! One of my next jobs is drilling a 5mm hole in the stem for the bowsprite so I’ve got that to look forward to 😂😬
I had a look at your bluenose build... looked pretty damn good to me! This is my second build too, so if mine ends up half as good as yours I’ll be chuffed.

4 hours ago, hof00 said:

Hi Chap,

Had a look-see at my version of BN II,

I think that the Keel is of correct proportions.... (My BN is the the older A/L kit)

Yup, Fillers, maybe a judicial plank/s faired in?

(I think my BN II is on this site? If not, I'll post some pictures.)

Your Planking looks great, mine not so good, it  was my second ever wooden ship build. (Paint covers a myriad of errors.... 🙂)

Maybe "Pin" the Keel also with Dowel/Toothpicks to add strength?

Cheers....HOF.

Considering the two models are supposedly the same ship it’s surprising how different they are!

Hi Chap,

Thanks for the complement!!

Nice progress on your build.

I'll watch progress  with interest.

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

• 2 weeks later...

I struggled with the upper section of the hull as I was a dead smooth surface. The instructions (glibly) day to putty the whole upper section. However, I found the putty didn’t want to adhere to the hull.

🤔

so I had a think, and came up with idea of mixing some pva and water 50:50, brushed in on and let it go tacky, like you do with plaster.

this gave a great base for the putty to stick to and I thought I’d got it cracked.

There was an unforeseen problem though. When you rub it down and go through to the pva it doesn’t sand properly. Rather it goes all all stringy like pencil eraser rubbings. So I had to rub the whole lot down again and effectively painted on to the wood.

Looks ok though. I’m happy with it.

👍

Hi Chap,

Drill small first, the lager bit will always follow the small hole....

The Bulwarks and Planking look great!!

Are you planning on "Scuppers" on your lovely, finished Bulwarks?

(I don't think you have to, this is your own piece of Maritime art. (I would have thought that with an updated kit, A/L would have built these in??

Cheers and Regards,

Harry. (HOF)

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

2 hours ago, hof00 said:

Hi Chap,

Drill small first, the lager bit will always follow the small hole....

The Bulwarks and Planking look great!!

Are you planning on "Scuppers" on your lovely, finished Bulwarks?

(I don't think you have to, this is your own piece of Maritime art. (I would have thought that with an updated kit, A/L would have built these in??

Cheers and Regards,

Harry. (HOF)

Hi Harry,

Yes, there will be scuppers, which will be more nerve racking holes I have to drill in my hull!

AL don’t precut these in this version of the kit, but they do provide a guide/template to help place them.

5F3D37A1-B589-42F9-BA86-58A6BFC02023.jpeg

Hi Chap,

From memory, not a lot....

I discovered/deferred to Mr. John Earl's practicum after I had completed the Hull and needed some guidance with the basics of Rigging. (Thanks John, I'm indebted!!)

Even then, the number of Scuppers that I installed was nothing like what was called for.

(Oh Well, my second ever wooden ship build.)

It didn't matter at the time, and still doesn't, it is what it is and I'm happy with it. 🙂

Anyway, just have a think about things before you Drill/Cut/File anything, take your time, if your not happy, have another think about the process that you decide upon..... Measure twice, cut once, you'll be alight!! (Make a mockup Bulwark template with some scrap wood?)

FYI, My BN II took about 10 months to complete, nothing happens quickly in this pastime.

I learnt to walk away if I don't feel good about the way things are going or if my strategy doesn't really feel good.

If you really need to do something, concentrate on stuff "Off-Ship," Masts/Tops/Bowsprit/Planning/Etc.

Carefully considered is my way anyway.

Mare Nostrum, 3.5 months followed by Cutty Sark, 6.5 years of weekends, some 3,500 hours. (approx.)

Enjoy!! (I Do!!)

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson