HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Jeff 1/48

Hi all!

I finally finished planking the next section!  I am now half way done with planking on one side!

It takes me a while because I have about 30 min to and hour a night I can dedicate to her.

50316BA9-AF0A-43AD-B71E-1DA0BADF4938.thumb.jpeg.f8753a21d93674b6840a5b79ffe83ab4.jpegA66D2C0D-D381-4769-AF21-ED008EFA7D1B.thumb.jpeg.21e03d6c6e4db68589148119318afb0d.jpeg809F4D35-CC36-4382-A714-4E0A248AC6EA.thumb.jpeg.8246f560cb5fdf4b92c742badf2f8e73.jpeg

It ain’t perfect,  and I realized I didn’t edge bend enough on the bow to make the planks sit flatter,  but I’m learning.  So the next section should be better!

I also milled 15 more strips so I can finish the other side’s 6 rows.  I do enjoy milling.  I don’t know why but I find if fun.

Thanks all!

Jeff

On 9/29/2022 at 9:02 AM, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Nice progress, I Remember how digficult IT was. Just patience ! :)

Thank you Vlad!  Your right, it is pretty difficult but I’m still going at it.

I am almost done with the second set of 6 planks, but I am reorganizing my workspace and need to get another table!  So I am having to put her down for a few days until I can finish reorganizing.  But it does feel good to clean the room and setup the space differently.

I hope to respond in a few days with some more progress.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

I finally finished with the second set of 6 planks!

I wish I could be faster with it, but I know this isn’t a race.  Things at home have been rough which takes me away from building.  And a lot of the time, I am too tired to work on her at night (which is my only free time).

I also reorganized my work space to be more open.  It feels great to have things more organized!  I don’t feel as cramped which was starting to affect my building.

I’m slowly getting better at this, and I know the next set of planks will be better ( but still will take me a while to complete). I look through a lot of the build logs and am very impressed with everyone’s skills in this step which I am still trying to get down.

DF29BE83-73B7-4C85-91C2-D74DCE913EFF.thumb.jpeg.6d8998be30c0542d98106b8bc6535e6e.jpeg

CD2D3CEB-8407-498E-B8E1-2BF439C6B4D9.thumb.jpeg.bc26abc4a03de3cc72699862e525d96b.jpeg

45A3A9DE-22EF-4D65-941A-4CA4D89FD97C.thumb.jpeg.4b9736bb91b9b74f5c226f484b6d9ee1.jpeg6802947F-6EF4-40DF-B290-BAC4889A3BCC.thumb.jpeg.92990674773847a2273521a5e2d3547c.jpeg

As you can see, there are definitely glue marks all over the hull!  I hope I will be able to clean it up with some sanding after I finish planking.  It’s been a little confusing to me exactly how much CA glue to use per bulkhead when glueing the strip to them.  I seem to tend to overdo it with the glue.  Also, the Saturn doesn’t look that great to me.  If anyone has some tips for how they bent and placed the strips correctly for the stern,  that would be much appreciated.

I am also running out of cherry sheets to use for planking, but money is a little tight right now, so that will have to wait.  I currently don’t have enough wood to finish this next set of planks which is a little upsetting.  But, what can you do?  I will have to wait a month or so before ordering more cherry sheets.  I will though, update this log with what I am able to do with the remaining wood I do have.

I think I got the curve of the planks correct,  but if anyone thinks I need to adjust it, or any other tips,  please let me know!

Thanks everyone!

Jeff

Thanks everyone for the likes!

I do have a question about the garboard plank since this is my first time doing this…

Do I have the plank at the correct position in relation to the scarf joint?  I don’t want it to be too forward like the instructions say. 383A10DC-DEA0-4BCC-8ED7-E7110ECD9301.thumb.jpeg.626dcdde02438e68234a516d2783a77a.jpeg

I really just want to double check I have this placed correctly before I continue planking.

Thanks!

Jeff

I understand, Planking becomes a way of life with Winchelsea for a wile

My two cents: The stern planks might be difficult to sand out as is. Like the bow they they need to be bent. Unlike the bow they also need be twisted so they turn outward to meet the sternpost.  I think there are good examples in various build logs, I tried to do so in mine. It doesn’t take much CA, a little on each bulkhead goes a long way. 

The garboard looks right, maybe a little forward. The key, and I’m no expert, is that it is straight on top, no upward bend. I good check is dry fitting the next two bow planks up and see hoe they fit. I recall reading Chuck’s instructions and looking at multiple logs. It was never exactly the same from one to another, they were all in the vicinity of yours, including mine. 

The key of course is to have fun. 😊

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thank you glbarlow.   I am glad the garboard looks about where it’s suppose to be.  I tried to not have it inch up the bow like the instructions say not to do.

I so feel planking is my way of life right now! Hah!  Since it takes me longer, it feels like it’s taking longer than it should.  But I’m not in a rush and I am having fun.  And yeah! That’s the point isn’t it?

At the stern,  I do see a lot of room for improvement on my part.  I am taking notes and making sure the next time I will be planking, It will be better.  It seems I didn’t twist the strips enough (which I should have caught but oh well). And I know the widths of the planks aren’t correct.  Lastly, I’m learning I didn’t sand the bow and stern enough but I’m trying to rectify that as I go.

After finishing the garboard,  I realized I need to cut my strips into slightly different widths, so I finally ordered more sheets of cherry.  Enough to finish the hull planking.  But for now,  I will have to take a small break from the build until the sheets arrive.

Thanks!!

Jeff