Wooden model steam engine. should actually move. One of two.

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Looks like this model will go fast. What little I got done on the smaller one, took me 3 days. I did this in 3 hours.

Incidentally, this engine uses a metal spring. The smaller one uses 15 rubber bands. Looking at the gears they hook up to I can't see how I could possibly fist more than 2 rubber bands. Even that will be a challenge.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Looks like another part will shore up the front of the cab. 3.jpg

Edited by Clueless
Clarification

In Dry Dock:

Why am I building choo choo trains instead of ships? We're moving in May and I packed up all my tools. These models require no glue, sand paper or anything. All I need is an exacto knife and some candle wax for the gears.

In Dry Dock:

pretty ingenious set up.........it actually moves  :)    I've seen these kits around,  but never thought about buying one.  congratz on the move.........bigger house or bigger work shop?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Lateral move, or maybe smaller. My shop is the garage so I imagine that'll stay similar. We moved from a house on 10 acres in Michigan, to .17 acres here in California. I can see into my neighbors house and hear the wife screaming at the husband and kids. Dogs barking day and night, stereos day and night and no noise ordinance.

Same neighbor has 4 cars and parks in front of my house. Wife parks in the garage and I want to park in front of the house, but I have to park across the street. Public parking.

We bought this house when my wife worked 40 miles away in one direction and I worked 30 in another. A good middle ground. Now she works closer to where I worked, and I retired. (Do to medical issues) But the impetus for the move is retirement for the wife. Just over a decade to retirement age for the wife, living on one income with limited savings, we owe 20 years on this house. We can get a similar size house outside of town (5 acres or more and no nearby neighbors) where she now works for 50% of the cost of this place. We plan to take out a 10 year loan so we have no house payments when she retires.

In Dry Dock:

we live near the outskirts of Manchester N.H.   still ain't far enough,  in my opinion ;)   may you find peace and quiet.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks, we miss that house in Michigan. Couldn't see another house. N.H. Kinda cold?

In Dry Dock:

In Dry Dock:

that may be your only alternative,  unless you can scratch build a matching spacer.  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Maybe they are planning to add curved track sections, in the future, and the slop is to allow the wheels to move to follow it.

There is already some slop in the rest of the wheels, that one doesn't even line up with the rest. I guess I'll put another grommet or two in since there's no way I could make a filler to match.

In Dry Dock:

Piston housing on.

pistons on.jpg

In Dry Dock:

I'm missing a couple parts to the piston housing (Cylinder?) on the passenger side. The parts won't set in as well as they should so that side is rising a little. Hopefully something else goes on that will help bind it. The company doesn't do spare parts. Made in China. Probably not worth shipping. The model was only $50

In Dry Dock:

Smoke stack. It's supposed to rotate. I'm a bit skeptical, everything is so loose.

In Dry Dock:

from what I've heard.....these kits are supposed to be good. 

I got some kits a couple of Christmas's ago.......they are called incredi builds....2 R2D2's,  a tie fighter and the BB 8 droid.  I built one of the R2D2's......came out good,  but I think paint would really make a difference 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Started out great, but with the 2 missing parts it's loose and out of alignment. I thought about painting, but that would detract from the fact that it's made of wood.

The Ugears model I have looks to be fantastic. The instructions are far better and the little I played with was very tight. No metal dowels with plastic grommets that move.

Edited by Clueless
Addendum

In Dry Dock:

the ones I have are small......no moving parts.  they are kinda neat though.

2.jpg.a3052c36639fc195b6cd89b35cefc082.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Wondered what you  meant by R2D2:) I can see painting that. What brand is that? I saw a clock that looked interesting, too.

I'm getting frustrated and going back to the smaller Ugear.

In Dry Dock:

I wanted to do the smaller one 1st, because it just seemed like a better kit. (UGEARS) I started the bigger one because I needed new glasses. I'm back to the smaller one now. The big one uses a spring, while the UGEAR uses rubber bands. We shall see.

parts.jpg

In Dry Dock:

There's a name for this, but I don't recall it. So far things are a lot tighter.

Front wheels..jpg

In Dry Dock:

Thank you!

In Dry Dock:

What are these called? Something to do with the pistons I assume. Unlike a model ship, there are no names for anything.

Pinstons.jpg

In Dry Dock:

The larger train, (ROKR) uses steel rods and plastic grommets to hold things in place. This UGEAR uses toothpicks. They are MUCH tighter!

With the ROKR the parts pretty much fell right out of the frames. I need to use a knife to the the parts out of this one.

Bottom.jpg

Notice how the gears all line up? Not so on the ROKR,Top.jpg

Edited by Clueless
Addendum

In Dry Dock:

I have about 20 hours into this already. Page 14 of 46. I need a life!

Pistons on..jpg

Edited by Clueless
Addendum

In Dry Dock:

Page 15

Frame.jpg

In Dry Dock:

1 hour ago, Clueless said:

What are these called? Something to do with the pistons I assume.

Cylinders. You are right, the pistons move back and forth inside them. 

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

I used to build model railroads. Never paid attention to the parts, though.

In Dry Dock:

1 hour ago, Clueless said:

What are these called? Something to do with the pistons I assume. Unlike a model ship, there are no names for anything.

Pinstons.jpg

Those are the steam engines, actually. Expanding live steam in these cylinders pushes the pistons which push the drive rods which turn the wheels. They call the whole locomotive a "steam engine," but really, the biggest part of it isn't the engine, but the boiler.

locos_1.jpg

Edited by Bob Cleek